Monstrous CC device dev-t in progress

The only ugly solder is the one that fails.

Congrats on your device! :smiley:

4 Likes

Seriously, why canā€™t I edit my own topic (this one) anymore? Is there a limit on the edits or something? @jon, maybe you can have a look at it?

1 Like

It did fail actually, not because of poor soldering, but because of a design flaw. Iā€™m on a version two of the main board now, and soldering is pretty neat :laughing:

3 Likes

What exactly do you want to edit? I took a look at your trust levels and on that side, I believe that everything is fine.
Do you want to edit the title? Or the post? If the post have you clicked in the 3 dots under it to ā€œunlockā€ more features? If the title, canā€™t you see the little pencil on the right of the title text?

1 Like

I want to edit the body of the post itself. Clicking on the three dots does not give me a ā€˜pencilā€™ to edit the postā€¦

Here's what I see

I still think this is some kind of access rights issue, also because of this:

"You don't have permissions to delete this topic"

Untitled

1 Like

Ok, the last addition to this topic and then Iā€™m abandoning it - because I can neither edit nor delete it. Iā€™ll start a new topic on this device Iā€™m building.

Anyway, hereā€™s the last breakout board with six pots on it. Next thing is preparing (milling, drilling) the enclosure, as discussed above.

ezgif.com-gif-maker

13 Likes

Sorry for the late reply here @TheRedOne
I increased even more your trust levels. Does it work now?

2 Likes

Thanks, @jon, but no, still canā€™t edit. No worries, Iā€™ll just start another thread: Iā€™ve already got the chassis milled, drilled and painted, so thereā€™s more to show :wine_glass:

3 Likes

A sneak peek on the chassisā€¦

11 Likes

this looks really great - is it bigger than the dwarf?

3 Likes

Looking really cool @TheRedOne :star_struck:

I donā€™t know anymore, maybe thatā€™s only available if you are a moderator (?) I donā€™t really know

1 Like

Ok, just donā€™t bother )) As I said, when I finish building the box in a couple of weeks, Iā€™ll just start a new topic.
P.S. Maybe I canā€™t edit it because the topic has reached a certain limit of views/comments/likes? Reading the documnetation for the forumā€™s enginge could help, but itā€™s just not worth the time.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, it is way bigger, and to some extent it is by design, but also a bit unfortunate: for one, there are two rows of footswitches, four switches in a row, so, naturally, the box must be wide enough to accomodate for stomping without accidentally touching the other switches; on the other hand, the encosure is 65mm high, way higher than the Dwarf, and I donā€™t like it, but I couldnā€™t find a slimmer box anywhere for the life of me (I got this one off AliExpress, of course), and Iā€™m too lasy to mess around with sheet metal, or to have the chassis made to order.
The ā€˜gutsā€™ of the box are quite primitive in design though (I didnā€™t use any SMD components, thatā€™s something for the next gen maybe), so theyā€™d probably not fit into a slimmer chassis.
As I promised to @Jon, Iā€™ll make a demo video of my device once I put it all together.
For now, hereā€™s the comparison of the Dwarf and the Elf (as I call my box - should probably call 'em Gimli and Legolas lol) next to each other:

4 Likes

All right, a quick poll for you guys! Which knob to use for the pots? Iā€™ve got three options, letā€™s vote, left to right - A, B, C. A pick is for scale ))

• A (left)
  • B (center)
  • C (right)

0 voters

3 Likes

whoa - that is big. But looks sturdy and more space for footswitches is always a good point.

The hight would be a problem for me when pressing footswitches heel down - I always had problems adjusing to them even with the dwarfs hight when mounted on a pedalboard.

And again great stuff - looking forward of borrowing a lot of your pcb and code :wink:

3 Likes

I press the foot switches with the toes, not heel, so less of a problem to me. But again, this is a proof of concept for me, maybe Iā€™ll build another one, more slim. Maybe.

2 Likes

I doubt it a bitā€¦it would miss a bit the purpose of the forum. The only close thing I believe would be if you post a lot without any other user interaction.

:slight_smile:
Thank you a lot, Iā€™m really curious about this!

My suggestion to take especially the highness is to somehow set a pedalboard where you place both with a kind of shelf that raises the Dwarf. This may be super obvious - sorry about that - but it was the best solution that I found to put together the Dwarf and some MIDI pedal to load snapshots.
Iā€™m a bit far from this now, but when Iā€™m back in Berlin next week I can take some pictures and share them with you :wink:

3 Likes

First and foremost, I am genuinely glad that MOD Devices is back on its feet.

Secondly, I have finished building the hardware part of the device (a few photos attached).

The software part is 80-90% complete, I need to work on the menu, add a few features, but the most important thing that Iā€™ll be waiting for, software-wise, is an update of the control chain protocol that would fix the issue with switching snapshots with a cc device.

14 Likes

Due to the labels on buttons, I can assume that it is almost solely dedicated to handle lp3 looper)

2 Likes

Not at all, since the beauty of the Control Chain protocol is that you can assign any footswitch or knob to any plugin/function. Though I did have that plugin in mind while designing the interface, I must admit. My problem though is that I cannot purchase the lp3 looper, or any other plugin for that matter.

5 Likes