More stereo plugins?

Is it possible optionally to program/provide the mono plugins as stereo plugins?
For bass/guitar this is less interesting but if you play stereo instruments this would be a great option.

5 Likes

Yes please! I’d even go a step further and pledge for a “stereo only” policy for all future plugins.

1 Like

Thanks to you, I’ve gotten to the subject and here I am asking the question.
But I think it would be good to have both mono and stereo plugins.
Is it possible to make it selectable by an option?
[] mono [] stereo
For bass/guitar I rarely need everything in stereo.

A plugin can easily detect if the input is mono or stereo and can act accordingly. And many already do. An additional option is just bad UX.

2 Likes

I did not know that. So then “automatic” recognize.

1 Like

I agree, I bought duo x to use it in stereo with stereo instruments, and most of effects are guitar-oriented thought it’s a tabletop device. It would be great if stereo was a default for effects.

That is not true for LV2 plugins, which we use on the MOD.
A plugin know nothing about the environment it gets load in. It may be loaded unconnected at all. There is no way to add a port dynamical, so that a mono plug becomes stereo, and also no way to remove a port so that a stereo plug becomes mono.
So what you see may just be that you could use a stereo plug even when only one channel is connected. Many plugs have mono/stereo version provided within the same package (and even in the same source code), and act accordingly to which version is loaded by the host/user. So it is indeed the same plug, which could be mono or stereo, but you must decide before you load it, which version you want to use.
As a guitar player, I’ve less use for stereo plugs, true there are some exceptions like phasors, delays, and even reverbs, but mostly I use mono plugs.

1 Like

While this is true, it does not have to stay that way forever,
If the need arises and is strong enough, something will be invented.

3 Likes

Sure, but that is music from the future.

1 Like

I must say that having mono and stereo plugins bothers me more than it should. I work as a software developer and in contrast to the vast majority of the MOD choices I perceive this as poor architecture.

1 Like

It is a side-effect from this not being supported in LV2. Conversation regarding it never went very far.

One quick idea would be to merge mono/stereo versions on the MOD plugin list, and once clicked show both options that allow for dragging into the pedalboard as usual.

Very kind of you to even consider making a change, @falkTX ! But to be honest, your suggestion feels like a quick and dirty solution. Not something I associate with you and the team… I just wanted to chime in and will patiently wait until you find the time to solve this properly by extending the LV2 standard.

1 Like

A other need trick would be, like other hosts do, just open e second instance of a mono plug, when a stereo plug is needed/wanted. This second instance could be controlled from the same GUI then the first one. True, that isn’t stereo, but, it’s usable in a stereo chain without cluster the UX.
This could be done even after a plug is loaded, so on the fly. Could be managed for example with a additional toggle provided by MOD UI for any mono plug.
Such a implementation will make all mono plugs dual channel aware without any needed change in a plugin or the specs.

6 Likes

bump this old topic

I am happy to see more stereo plug ins coming and I hope there will be more in the future. I am using my Mod Duo X as a stereo processor only.

Is there a way to have a filter for “stereo plug ins” in the plug in store. I am spending too much time trying to find those, it would make it so much easier and faster.

Thanks!

7 Likes

Not really, but I mapped the request :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi Jon :wave: Any updates on this? Would really be an amazing timesaver! :wink:

Not really.
As we reported a few times around the forum, somehow we are wondering about something like a sprint focused on improvements to the WebGUI experience. Yet, that is just in the “wondering mode” at this moment and not yet in the roadmap. A lot is in our plate that needs to be sorted out before.
I’m sorry for not bringing super great news.

4 Likes