MOD - Audio to CV Pitch

Hi everyone, we just published a much anticipated plugin to the store, the Audio to CV Pitch!

With original work by @BramGiesen and then me finalizing some details, with the usual MODGUI similar to the CV plugin collection.
For the most tech-curious ones, it uses the “yinfast” algorithm from aubio, together with fftw.
We tuned things in a way to have a good balance of latency vs pitch coverage.
Source code lives at https://github.com/DISTRHO/PitchTrackingSeries

The Audio To CV Pitch plugin is a tool that turns your audio signal into CV pitch and CV gate signals.
This allows audio from instruments (such as guitars) to play and control synth sounds and effects.

It detects the pitch in your incoming audio signal and outputs a 1V/Oct CV pitch signal on the top output.
The bottom output carries the CV gate signal, it sends out 10V while a pitch is detected, and resets to 0V when the pitch can no longer be detected.

The Sensitivity parameter can be increased to detect quieter signals, or decreased to reduce artifacts.
The Octave parameter allows you to shift the detected pitch up or down by a maximum of 4 octaves. When set to 0, it will output the same pitch as is detected on the input.

The plugin also features 3 parameters that are not visible on the plugin interface:

• The Hold Pitch parameter sets whether the plugin resets its outputs to 0, or holds the last detected pitch.
  • Increase the Confidence Threshold to make sure the correct pitch is being output, or decrease it to get a faster response time.
  • The Tolerance parameter influences how quickly you can change pitch, turn it down for a more accurate pitch output, or turn it up to make it easier to jump from one pitch to the next.
22 Likes

This is big news!! I look forward to experimenting with this!

4 Likes

As a CV noob, how do we implement this in a basic form? Can I just link this pedal to a midi synth/generator? I’m assuming no, and we have to use CV oscillators?

that is one possibility yes.
@jesse has a few pedalboards made to showcase the plugin, going to be published next week.

mapping the cv out into a parameter can also be done.

7 Likes

Hey there I just got my brand new mod dwarf and I’m eager to try this plugin but I can’t seem to find it in tge GUI.
What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Hi! Congratulations! I love my Mod! You need to download it from the plugin store. Make sure you have “show beta plugins” enabled! You will also need other CV plugins to make sound. I used it with a CV poly synth pedalboard and feed the signal from the plugin into the chain i stead of the “midi to CV poly” plugin. It’s great fun! I was playing with it yesterday with a mic’ed handpand :-). Enjoy!

2 Likes

And welcome to the forum :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answer! I am such ah noob haha :see_no_evil:

But this plugin only does monophonic pitch detection or is it poly actually?

1 Like

Luckily the Mod Forum is a great place to Iearn! I’m learning new things all the time. I believe the plugin is monophonic. Have fun! Remember you’ll need a “CV VCO” plugin and and a “CV gate” plugin to make it sound.

3 Likes

Yeah I was just trying to hook it up to an oscilator and another audio to cv to a vca to have the synth follow the envelope of the guitar but no sound yet. Maybe I should get a modular synth running on it’s own first and then plug in this thing…

2 Likes

just a correction here, plugin is not in beta, you find it directly on the (stable) store as-is, under control voltage category

4 Likes

Hi there, does anyone have a pedal board with this set up to share? New to using cv so a working example with the audio to cv pitch working would be great! thanks

1 Like

We will be sharing some pedalboard with it pretty soon as @falkTX mentioned here:

Hopefully a matter of hours :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey thats great, I will look out for it! many thanks

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

I created 5 pedalboards for the MOD Dwarf that use the Audio to CV Pitch plugin to create some guitar-playable synthesizers. If you’d like to learn more, make sure to keep an eye out on MOD’s social channels, there are some videos coming up in the next days :slight_smile:

Without further ado, here are the boards:

Hope you’ll enjoy!

//Jesse

20 Likes

Hey thats great, thanks very much. Look forward to getting my head round them!!

4 Likes

This is amazing! Will be checking this out tonight for sure!!

3 Likes

Thanks @Paul and @mark_melvin!

Today I created more lightweight versions for the MOD Dwarf as well as the MOD Duo. Leaving them here in case anyone is interested :slight_smile:

Dwarf: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com//pedalboards/6271477a656fdba0ab347151
Duo: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com//pedalboards/627150fe58a87607f177dc98

//Jesse

11 Likes

Amazing. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thanks! This will definitely help with the understanding of how they work. Now I only need a Masters in synth as opposed to a PhD. :slight_smile:

3 Likes