MOD - IR Loader Cabsim

I’ve just installed 1.10 and tried to give this a go on my Duo, I don’t know anything about IR but I’ve been wanting to try Ola Englund’s cab IR for a while. The plugin installs and the default Alice in Bones IR seems to work fine, I’m having some issues with Ola’s IR though…

1. After uploading the wav file it did not appear in the IR plugin’s drop down list, I had to delete the plugin from the pedalboard and then add it again to get the new IR to appear.

2. The new IR doesn’t work, there is no sound at all from the Duo when the new IR is selected and nothing is showing on the output LEDs of the Duo. Selecting the Alice in Bones IR again works fine.

There’s a video of Ola making the IR here, so you can see it’s just the amp/cab and also some other details of how it was made
Guitar Cabinet Impulse Responses Explained FREE DOWNLOAD - Home Recording Tips - YouTube

The dropbox link is here: Dropbox - Hesu 2x12 V30 - 440 center edge.wav - Simplify your life

Hello @pjd,

the impulse response file in the dropbox is 44.1kHz 24bit mono,
all other impulses I downloaded and tested so far are stereo.
I don’t know if that is the cause the response file is not functioning in the IR loader cabsim.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

This is known by us. Currently, you need to refresh the plugin or the WebGUI after loading the samples.

This one is not the result of our tests. What sort of file are you loading as IR? Are you sure that there’s nothing wrong with it?

Cheers, I’ll try to find a stereo IR later to try.

Ah ok that’s great, I’ll look forward to future updates :slight_smile:

It’s a wav file, it’s just an amp and cab IR. I did not generate it but my post included a link to a video with detailed explanation of how it was generated and a link to the file. I don’t know anything about IR, but the person who generated it makes lots of IR files which are quite popular, would it be possible for you to add this IR to your tests?

I’m happy to test out other IRs if there are links to them.

1 Like

Hey @pjd, I got some inputs for you.
The problem with those particular IR is the time of silence at the beginning of the IR that you are using.
For now, we recommend cutting off the silence at the beginning of that .wav file. We tried this in the office, and it made the file work like a charm!
We will do tests in-house to see if we can make the FFT-SIZE larger so that IRs with a bit of silence at the start still work.
It’s really important for us that you raise this issue. The plugin is still a work in progress and the impulse responses that you are using are pretty disseminated (so our plugin must support them with no tweaking).

4 Likes

That’s great, thanks! I’ll try to give this a test later and let you know if it works.

1 Like

@jon

I investigated not further, but nice to hear some more analysis had done the trick.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this so quickly today, I’ve just edited that IR file, chopping the silence at the start and also the silence afterwards and it’s now working great!

This is really cool and I’ll continue to try other IR files, thanks so much for all your hard work in adding IR file support especially on the old hardware.

2 Likes

What are the requirements for the Cab IRs?
The length of the .wav file? 20ms? 180ms? The longer the length, the more accurate the cab.
The sample rate of the IRs? 44.1k? 48k?
24 bits?

Like to know so that when I buy or ask people to make an IR, I can tell them the specification.

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I would say that the current solution is not optimal. So we will probably put some thought into how to fix it the best way possible. Meanwhile…you already know the trick :wink:

1 Like

Currently it’s 128 samples. What means around 2.7ms.
We will try to make a build and update it to 2048 samples what would turn out around 42.7ms, but that is not yet done.

3 Likes

From the specific IR cab usage, Pete Thorn here shows that 20ms length is more than enough

Maybe 2048 samples are just fine.

2 Likes

A quick read of the comments would suggest it is good for Electric Guitars.

It looks like instruments that go lower might benefit from longer :slight_smile: please don’t leave us bass players out :wink:

5 Likes

We won’t :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hey, I’m attempting to get this working in a desktop mod-ui setup. I’ve got browsepy running and the standard directory layout which includes Speaker Cabinet IRs but the cabsim dropdown only shows the Alice in Bones IR (no amount of restarts helps this).

Can you describe the end-to-end mechanism for files in Speaker Cabinet IRs showing up in the dropdown menu? Reading the cabsim source isn’t enlightening me :wink:

Thanks for writing this, its a very useful feature.

the plugin parameter needs to specify mod:fileTypes as described in mod/#fileTypes

then set MOD_USER_FILES_DIR env var as can be seen in mod/settings.py#L46
or I guess you are going with the pre-defined /data/user-files/ dir, so just try to debug this part mod/webserver.py#L2052 then

setting MOD_USER_FILES_DIR worked! Thanks very much

HI, I want to use mod dwarf with accoustic guitar and load some IR files with different accoustic guitar responses. Could I do it with this plugin or not?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This plugin has a hard-limit on the size of the IR file, so wherever something works proper depends on how big it is.
We have an alternative plugin already in beta for handling bigger IRs, so we are not limited by this plugin as the only option.

3 Likes