Official vs. Community Plugins and Pedalboard Sharing

As a consumer I think that in general the plugins need better descriptions and documentation. I tend to go for the ones that have at least some kind of info. I don´t mind being overwhelmed by 200 plugins of the same kind (I might even like) if they have a description that will help me pick the one that I might need and try.

About the come and go of professionals inside the MOD Team I think that this is normal part of any healthy business so I don’t worry to much about it.

2 Likes

I feel the same way. Gianfranco has been very methodical in his growth and has dealt with setbacks by sticking to his principles and vision while still being flexible with new ideas.

Did falkTX really leave? He is still listed as a team member here: http://moddevices.com/people

@falkTX - Are you still at MOD Devices?

I feel the same. Having no experience and little familiarity with the history of effects pedals, I most likely to use plugins that have a little bit of introduction about what it does and a few presets with brief descriptions. Something that would be immensely helpful for a user like me would be demo pedalboards that compare and contrast different plugins. For example, a switchbox leading to four different fuzz pedals and 10 - 20 pedalboard presets that toggle between the various fuzz plugins, each with a few presets. A few lines of explanation about what I’m listening for in each preset. These kinds of pedalboards would serve as both tutorials and live labs. Plugin authors and collaborators could link to these pedalboards in their plugin descriptions and IMO this would be a great to promote your work and get users to try it out.

3 Likes

In that case, we may be left speculating why:

• He is no longer listed in the Github team, though others remain and have made recent commits
  • Close to zero commit activity in the primary repos for several months
  • A once vibrant test release group that was receiving regular new features to test has seen no activity for several months and no communication

EDIT:

I wouldn’t mind some more MOD gossip in another thread, but I would like to keep this one on topic. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always leading off-topic, but I realized I’m undermining my own goal for this thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Regarding the general questions about the MOD team, Gianfranco has addressed them on this recent thread: MOD Devices is growing (up)!

3 Likes

I know that I’d love to be able to upload pedalboards with community plugins - almost all of my boards now have the Calf Multiband limiter last in the chain and won’t work without it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi all,

Getting back to the initial topic in this discussion, there have been some important remarks and interesting suggestions here regarding the pedalboard sharing feature. You all have valid points regarding the UX and most of them have already been the topic of some conversations here at MOD HQ. As you can see, there isn’t exactly a consensus on what to do with all the community plugins because it depends on each user’s workflow and needs.

I’ll let @acunha provide his two cents on what’s feasible in the near future and what’s still going to have to wait a bit.

“Our roadmap is long and full of features”

2 Likes

beautiful. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi @dwek, have you guys considered letting developers setup their own plugin repositories? Then the users could decide whose repositories they want to enable or disable based on their needs and craving for (in)stability. Admittedly, this idea is slightly off-topic but pedalboard sharing with some extended set of plugins would apply to different repositories, too.

3 Likes

I would love if I could share pedalboard’s at all. But on my MOD I’ve a couple of community plugins, so the share button ain’t exist any-more.

Also, from the developers view, it would be great if it was possible to upload a pedalboard which show, what the new plug do. I guess that would be more helpful then 1000 words in a description. (and more easy to done for me :sunglasses: )

6 Likes

+100

1 Like

I suspect devs (myself included) may get a bit lazy in maintaining this though. Then they’d all be mixed bags. I think its better for MOD to groom the categories and therefore help keep the user experience consistent.

4 Likes

Thank you all for contributing to this discussion.

We’re working on our roadmap and all I can say is that pedalboard (and all things around it) is huge!

I’ll definitely bring this suggestion up to discussion. As @ssj71 already mentioned it’s a bit problematic supporting pedalboards with community plugins since buggy ones are bound to happen. It’s a difficult trade-off to say the least.

On one hand, if we put too many barriers / warnings / pop-ups, we simply kill the user experience and end up penalizing those particular pedalboards and associated community plugins. If we go easy on the warnings then users might get a bad experience without fully understanding the benefits.

Imagine how frustrating it would be having your brand new Duo and then you happen to try the one unlucky pedalboard with an unstable plugin. No matter what we do, it becomes our fault.

Maybe we can call them “community pedalboards” with some big bad warnings. But ultimately I think the typical user experience must be done in such a way to avoid those by default.

1 Like

A possible solution could be:
Allow sharing of Pedalboards with unstable/community plugins.
If, a user have enabled the community store on his/her board, he/she could download and try the pedalboard. In that case you could assume that he/she know the risk, as he/she has enabled the unstable store active by him/herself.
Otherwise, if the community store isn’t enabled, refuse the download of the pedalboard with a popup info, that this pedalboard contain community plugins which are not supported on his/her board.
Advance of it is, that users could hear a example of a new plug and could vote for it if they like the sound, without the need to enable “unstable” plugs on his/her board.

3 Likes

I think this is a pretty good solution. I think perhaps the best way is to have 2 pedalboard categories that reflect the 2 plugin groups: community pedalboards and official pedalboards. The default when you go to the pedalboards page would be to show only official pedalboards, then if you select community pedalboards you can browse them and hear them, but can’t download them until you have enabled community plugins. This is a one time opt-in with some reading required so they know what they’re enabling. I think it would actually be best if pedalboards could become official through testing without all the plugins needing to become official though. That can be added later. With just sharing pedalboards with community plugins I think it can really aid developers to get their plugins tested and promoted.

Its great to see some discussion on this. Thanks all and keep the ideas coming.

5 Likes

I like where this is heading. A solution around those specs are more reasonable and probably the right compromise.

2 Likes

I think the community pedalboard sounds like a great idea.

Maybe there should be some kind of reporting system for plugins and pedalboards that cause crashes.

3 Likes

That sounds like a good idea to me. A simple like/dislike button might not convey enough information. But what happens if we report a broken pedalboard? Is there a process to delete them?

That makes me think of Debian’s stable/testing/unstable model.

There might be a way to add a bit more granularity, and depending on advanced user’s feedback/vote on plugins belonging to a particular category, the plugins could be promoted from one category to the next.

Let’s say we have 6 categories :

1. Rock solid

2. Usually fine, with exceptional glinch

3. Occasional glinch that is easily fixed

4. Frequent problems that can result in annoying consequences

5. Difficult to use, with potential bad consequences. You must have a very good reason to run this

6. Totally experimental. For development use. Expect to have to hard reset your mod.

Users could then set their mod to allow for a particular level of (in)stability.

2 Likes