Official vs. Community Plugins and Pedalboard Sharing

So, currently anyone can do that, and it fail, so how should it work when you give permission to do it to a selected group? Usually you give permission to a selected group when a task is overfilled, that isn’t the case here.

third-party ?? I guess that is the most worse case which could happen. At least, the MOD team needs to have control over what is shared, and the way it is shared.
A special pedalbord share section for unstable plugs may be a way, but, please, no third-party involvement.

check out :

Yes, that could be a model to use on the MOD as well.
On debian any new application enter at the unstable stage, and so do any update for it. After some time (on debian that be 5 days) it will automatically move forward to testing, when no bug/error been reported or detected. Then, after a year or so, it will become stable, again, when no error/bug appear, or all errors been solved.
Programs which ain’t full-fill the needs goes to experimental, were they stay as long as they ain’t full-fill the needs, on MOD that could be to high CPU usage, crash, no UI, etc.

I think, making plugs depend on a voting system from users is not a good solution, as most users wont ever vote. But, if a bug appear, more users take the stab and report it.
Also I wonder, how that system will compare to commercial plugins, when they enter the MOD.

1 Like

So did you just manually force that upload? I guess we devs could just do that when we want people to hear samples of the plugin :wink: What will happen when someone clicks try now but hasn’t selected to download community plugins?

It’s a little hack in the mod-ui with the web-inspector. A two line edit.

I’m not absolutely sure, but from what I understand of the code, when users clicks “try now” they will get the peadlboard and download the plugs, if needed, regardless if they’ve enabled the community store or not. As far I could see, the “enable unstable store” is just a visible thingy.
I guess that’s were a “warning” could be implemented. :face_with_monocle:

Yes @ssj71. I do encourage you to engage @jesse more on promoting plugins and I hope that things will move fast enough for you guys (I’d say about 5 days tops until you get an answer from him).

Just to remember that we want to promote things out of “unstable” as much as you guys. So it’s still a high priority for us.

1 Like

You’re right @brummer. So looking back to this thread (sorry I’ve been away for a few days) we decided to make a change that enables sharing of PB with unstable plugins and we’ll add a warning only when you try to install one of them in case your MOD does not have the community plugins enabled.

I believe with those two simple changes we should address the main concerns that you’ve been discussing in this thread.

Let me know your thoughts, if any.

10 Likes

great… looks like a sensible and simple strategy!

1 Like

Great :fu:

1 Like

Another change we’ll bring in the next release is to rename the term “unstable” to “beta”. The idea is to use a term that better describes those plugins and we think “beta” is the proper term (at this stage at least).

It implies that a beta plugin is still under development so some issues are to be expected. Hopefully this change will help settling some concerns raised by developers here in the forum.

so will there be a separate beta section in addition to the community store? or will it just a label or something on particular plugins in the community store?

Right now we’re simply renaming whatever you see as “unstable” to “beta”. They are still both part of the official repository (which we control).

In a future release we will introduce a new repository and give more control to developers so they can decide when to build / publish their changes. When this happens the beta label might be retired from the official repository (haven’t really decided on it).

At this point it’s a bit early to discuss more than this as we’re still working on the details.

The confusion here is that although we called it “community store” in the forum in the past, right now it’s not yet a separate repository/store. It’s still a single store.

Those plugins carrying the beta label are considered “community”. But this is not a good representation of what we’re trying to achieve. We need to make sure there’s a separate repository (initially two - official and community) which then might have their own plugins labeled as beta / alpha / etc with proper rating/ranking mechanism that will help the end user navigate and find what’s good.

We will still have a very similar promotion process where somebody might request a plugin to jump from one repo to the other.

For now we’re stuck with the community store simply being a filter in our repo where beta=true.

4 Likes

I see, thank you very much for the communication and help. I think this plan sounds very reasonable and gives us a good pathway for the future. :+1:

2 Likes

My 2 cents: add a steam-like voting system and curators (individuals or organizations that make recommendations to help others discover interesting games in the Steam catalog).