Operating @ 18Volts possible?

Hi,

I still have a Dunlop ‘DC-Brick’ power adaptor here which has seven 9V outlets and three 18V outlets, until my MOD peripherals arrive I’d still like to use my existing wah and volume pedals along with my MOD and it would be much neater and easier just to power everything from one power source. I realize the MOD is 12V, does it have any tolerance for higher (or lower) voltages?

Hi @GMaq,

Although there is a tiny bit of slack (12V rated power supplies don’t always output 12V) it is really really really not recommended to use a different-voltage power supply. (18V rated power supplies don’t always output 18V either)

On a more practical note, the Dunlop DC-Brick is not able to provide enough current to power up the MOD Duo.

We recommend using only the provided power supply, since it is not only a guaranteed way to not destroy the Duo, it is also very quiet. Whereas other power supplies might cause some extra noise on the output.

//Jesse

2 Likes

Curious, can you elaborate what the MOD uses the +12V for? Surely it does not have an internal PCI or ISA bus nor need to meet ATX specs.

@x42.

The MOD Duo uses the +12V for the bypass relays, for the FETs that set the input gain and for the OpAmps in the audio path.

//Jesse

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I was 98.9% sure that was the answer I’d get but thought it was worth asking before reconfiguring my (now much smaller) pedalboard for some future gigs.

1 Like