Pedalboard Power and the Mod Duo

The gigrig sells a great power system.
Here is the USA site: https://shopusa.thegigrig.com/

Starts with the “Generator” and you use isolators and other step up/down and polatity inverters to make it to what you need. Great idea.

In theory a nice system.
But the manual paints a different picture. The 9V-12V Adaptor can only produce 520mA (up to 1A in short bursts). So not enough for the MOD. Still, maybe interesting for my moogerfoogers…

1 Like

Any idea by how much it increases? I have the beta footswitch, and also a bluetooth USB dongle for wireless control.

I’m in a similar boat. I’m looking to mount my MOD Duo on a (physical!) pedalboard along with:

• a preamp requiring 18VDC 200mA
  • an EHX Nano POG 9VDC 25mA (the MOD Duo can achieve a near identical effect but only at maximum quality which sucks a horrible amount of CPU)

Given that the MOD Duo has pretty steep power requirements relative to normal stomp boxes, I’ve been struggling to find any unified pedalboard power supply which could cater to all of these.

That said, the power adaptor for the MOD Duo is pretty small and slim, so I guess I could just mount that underneath the pedalboard, and ditto for the other two, but then I have 3 plugs coming from the pedalboard instead of 1 :frowning:

Any ideas very welcome!

Have you tried this power supply yet? It’s an attractive price and the shipping from Hong Kong is more than reasonable.

Ok…
So, I did a little experiment last night. I decided to see how many mA it would actually take to power my MOD (with footswitch). I used my 1spot Pro CS6, and used an output set to 12V along with a tip inverter extension. This output supplied 200 mA, and my MOD (and footswitch) worked just fine!

I won’t lie. I’m very surprised (and likely kinda dumb because I even tried this…)

So basically, it seems to run with a power supply of 12V, 200 mA?

2 Likes

Ah, battery power is a slightly different topic and it’s already a solved problem: Powering the MOD with an external 12V battery?

1 Like

Wow, that’s insane - that’s literally a tenth of the current the power supply provides, and a fifth of what @ricardocrudo said was necessary above… I’d have concerns over the reliability of running it that low, especially as CPU usage ramps up, but still - good to know! Would love to hear comments from MOD Devices folks on this.

I ran it with CPU usage in the 80s…I’m truly baffled.

I used to own a Onespot Pro CS12 and use it with my wireless guitar receiver (which drew quite a bit of current too). What you actually ran into was an awesome thing about the Onespot Pro series, I’ll just quote a part of their website (http://truetone.com/cs6/):

"1 SPOT Technology… what does that mean and why should I care? Technically, it’s switching power supply technology, which is very different than what anyone has ever put inside a power brick. Normally, you would find just a big transformer and a handful of small electronic components inside a power brick… old tech that hasn’t changed in decades and has a lot of limitations. We took the same switching power supply technology found in our famous 1 SPOT and scaled it up to make the 1 SPOT Pro models. With much more space to work with, we were able to completely eliminate noise, provide total electrical isolation between outputs, create multiple voltages, and still give you the ability to use it anywhere in the world.

A major benefit of using a switching power supply is that it can handle far more current (power being pulled out of it) than any transformer-based power supply. Although we had to put power rating labels on each output to satisfy certification agencies (yes, we actually certified these, unlike most companies), the outputs can generally handle far more than the label shows. For example, you can connect a 300mA pedal to a 200mA output, without causing any problems. With a transformer-based power supply, you can’t get away with that. The important thing is to not exceed the total of all the labels. With a CS7, the output labels add up to 1900mA total. That means the total current draw of all your pedals should be less than 1900mA. That total current rating is roughly double the current load of the most common power brick, for a lot less money."

TL;DR: because of the architecture of the Onespot, it can actually supply much more than what is said on the labels. If your other pedals draw very little current, you could actually get away with using it with the Duo even in the long run. (Although it is probably not necessarily recommended by Truetone)

//Jesse

3 Likes

Well, holy crap! That explains why it seemingly works! Thanks!

Just so you know, I started out this little experiment because of similar desires. I use my POG2 a lot, and I agree that while I can get the polyphonic octave effect from my MOD (at the high settings), but it just takes too much of the CPU.

I now know that my 1spot pro CS6 is seemingly able to power my MOD (?mA), POG2 (180 mA), and Shure wireless (250 mA) at the same time.

I don’t know if I’d “recommend” anybody else trying this method, but I’ll give it a go (after I figure out how to save all my setups on a USB drive :grin:).

Well, even if an output rated at 200mA is delivering 300mA, that’s still an awful long way from the 2000mA which it is claimed the MOD Duo requires. So a more official answer from the MOD folks on what would make a safe minimum current supply would be pretty helpful in determining whether this configuration with the CS6 can be relied upon.

Yeah, I really hope that future versions of the MOD Duo offer more CPU power. IMHO this is its biggest weakness right now.

Well that’s really awesome :slight_smile: The CS6 does seem like a super-cool brick, but unfortunately the only pair of outputs it has rated higher than 200mA are 9VDC outputs at 500mA, which presumably would not work with the MOD Duo at all. And I don’t want to shell out a lot of money for CS6 without being 100% sure it will work reliably not only with my MOD Duo, but also with the 18VDC 200mA preamp I mentioned above. And there is a similar issue with that - the only 18VDC-capable outputs on the CS6 are only rated at 100mA :thinking:

from above:

need more official than that?

I already referenced that post above, but it still doesn’t explain why a Duo could possibly work on 2.4W (200mA) or even 3.6W (300mA) going on the assumption that the 200mA output on the CS6 can actually drive 300mA loads.

So yes, I’d still love an official answer on why @Treelemon’s Duo is apparently running fine on ~3.6W even when CPU load goes into the 80s.

That is actually because @Treelemon’s Duo is drawing more than 300mA. He is running the Onespot Pro CS6 WAAAAAY out of spec. (which, due to the architecture of the PSU is apparently possible)

The only way to know for sure how much his is drawing is to actually measure the current draw. My guess would be somewhere around 1000mA.

You would have to basically look for an official answer from the folks over at Truetone for a proper explanation of why it is possible.

Hope that answers your questions!

//Jesse

1 Like

What you say sounds very plausible and I suspect you’re right; however it also sounds quite speculative :slight_smile: If the CS6 is capable of (say) 1000mA from an output rated at 200mA, it begs the question why they rated it so low in the first place. Something in this whole picture really doesn’t add up yet… Yes it would be great if @Treelemon could measure the actual draw, as that would give us hard data which we could then ask Trutone about.

They answer that in the piece of text that I had quoted above. (copied below for clarities’ sake)

I interpret their piece of text as if the distribution of current draw between outputs does not matter, as long as the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current draw of all the outputs combined.

I do agree that this is not something that can be considered as a conclusion, and definitely not something that should be assumed without contacting Truetone first.

1 Like

Word of caution…

Make sure you are not using the power supply beyond what it’s labeled for. It can be dangerous and if it does catch fire and burn down your house, you may not have any ability to collect any compensation from the manufacturer or insurance because you were using the power supply in the manner it was not designed for.

3 Likes

Ah I see! Their “you can connect a 300mA pedal to a 200mA output, without causing any problems” statement had got stuck in my brain so I was thinking they were saying that 300mA was the limit for that output, but now I realise that was just a somewhat arbitrary example. So if the Duo only requires around 12W, i.e. 1000mA, that leaves 900mA, which explains why it could also power @Treelemon’s POG2 at 180mA plus the Shure wireless at 250mA. And in fact this would still leave 470mA to play with, which could potentially cover 2 or even 3 more pedals.

This got me curious about the current draw of my MOD footswitch extender and Softstep 2, so I got out my USB analyser, and found:

• The SoftStep 2 seems to draw between 100mA and 140mA.
  • The footswitch extender seems to draw less than what is required to register above 0 on my USB analyser. It just says 0.00A, so presumably it’s less than 10mA?!

Having said that, normally I would power my footswitch extender via the control chain, so I don’t know if the draw would be different vs. when powered over USB.

Anyway, this suggests that in theory the CS6 could power my Duo (1000mA) plus my Nano POG (25mA) plus Headway EDB-2 preamp (200mA worst case) plus SoftStep 2 (140mA worst case), and still have around 535mA of headroom. That sounds pretty promising!

2 Likes