Pining for Momentary Button Options

This was all discussed here long ago in Define Footswitch as hold button
but I thought of something I wanted to do in a pedal board so I finally took some time, threw it together and then realized it can’t work, because the footswitches only have toggle mode! :cry:

I know this can be worked around by the plugin devs by using the trigger designation and handling the switch in a special way to enable momentary or toggle control, but then it has to be implemented in every plugin. That’s clever and its how loopor does it, but IMHO this really is more of a controller feature rather than a plugin feature. Nearly all the plugins I’ve developed could benefit from this.

So I just propose (again) that any parameter thats a toggle switch that you’d map a footswitch to, has advanced options to change from “toggle mode” (the default), “momentary on”, and “momentary off”.

I actually think for the DuoX with all those pushbuttons, this will become even more yearned for.

15 Likes

I think momentary will be great!

I’ve been wanting to do a kill switch type of thing and bounce on it to make interesting rhythmic things…

2 Likes

i was able to do this with a midi fighter classic and switching it to ableton mode that sends a momentary cc value.

Yeah, I’ve got a midi controller that can do it. I just think it’s a bit silly that the mod footswitches can’t.

1 Like

kinda get the vibe that they won’t support it any time soon.

We hear you!
For the Duo(X) this will most likely be possible in V1.10.0 :slight_smile:

For the MOD Footswitch, it will probably get an update around the same time the expression pedal is released.

7 Likes

Yes I need this. Please also consider to allow multiple assignments to a single hardware button somehow. For potis this can be achieved with a CV plugin but it doesn’t work with buttons.

The same thing for buttons can actually already be achieved with the Control to CV plugin.
if you set the control value to 10, and use the on/off of the plugin as the master button!
Then you can assign the output of the Control to CV plugin to other effects (using ‘Manage CV Ports’), just as with the pots

3 Likes

Ok that’s neat! But I’d still pledge for a more straight forward way to make it easily accessible for everyone.

Us too :wink: it’s just a matter of where it fits in our timeline

1 Like

I’m guessing this didn’t make it to the 1.10 update. Is still on the radar for people?

the momentary mode options are for sure in v1.10

4 Likes

\o/

3 Likes

You guys are awesome! thanks so much

3 Likes

Here’s another feature request… would it be possible to have a momentary switch that would roll on and off? So basically, you press one of the buttons and then it starts to fade on or off based on the defined time…

1 Like

I think this one is possible using CV and some creative routing

Signal → ——— [X-fade] ————————————————————————— Out
               \___ [Plug in] (always on) __/

CV (mapped momentary) → Slew → X-fade blend (via CV)

5 Likes

Thank you @danmh… I’ve never actually used the X Fade before and I really can’t figure out how it works… and could you explain how to use it via CV? Maybe a starter pedalboard? Thanks so much

1 Like

Give this one a try @JEL

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Question for everyone: should MOD make some more pedalboards with these kind of interactions for future factory data updates?

8 Likes

I think CV modules are not much understood by new users, maybe 5 pedalboards with Notes explaining the interactions could be useful : some kind of 5 steps class ?!

Subject that could be examples :

• how to have a tail on a (reverb, delay…) plugin that don’t have this option ? (see your pedalboard like a DAW)
  • how to make two plugins engage/disengage simultaneously ? (from the device and my midi controller (with midi, CV and virtual loopback))
  • how to fade in and fade out any effect ? (with CV and Slew Rate Limiter)
  • how to use the Logic Operators to make a tetris game ? :crazy_face:

tutorial videos with pedalboard examples ?

It could be 5 short videos too… makes me think about the way Morningstar Engineering explains its midi devices functions : Song and Set Lists - Morningstar MIDI Controller - Invidious
On those videos, what seams cool is that :

• we see in the first 20 seconds what we want to achieve
  • we only hear a voice and see the device and the software. Clear and simple.
  • we master the subject in 4 or 5 minutes, very satisfying !
10 Likes

Yes, that would be great. I think it’s a good approach to demonstrate how to route things as well as how to use certain functionality like switches. Also instructions in the descriptions would be super helpful!

3 Likes