Pisound - interesting project to complement the Duo

Hi guys,

I just stumbled over the indiegogo campaign for a project called pisound. It is an addon (cape, hat, breakout board… however you want to name it) for the Raspberry Pi and offers high-quality audio and MIDI connections. For me it’s interesting because I would finally be able to play around with the MOD’s MIDI capabilities while waiting for the Control Chain protocol and loading impulse responses :innocent: Thought I’d share it because I like their approach and perhaps some of you are interested as well.

Here’s the campaign, they promise to deliver the finished product by June this year.

Have a good weekend y’all!

3 Likes

Ohhh, that’s nice, thanks for bringing it up! A wee bit too expensive though I think but very interesting nonetheless. Unfortunately the setup script doesn’t do any optimization whatsoever so OOTB you’ll get poor performance with the PiSound.

Hi @ll,

I have a pisound (beta) on top of an RPi3 and optimized software (all based on minibian): works quite well!

Regards, Holger

Oh no! In which way you reckon, will the pisound board show poor performance? Sound quality? Latency? MIDI issues?

I bought a board to support the company and their engagement for free software and open schematics. And, of course, because it is a nifty little product.

I wasn’t talking about the PiSound itself but I would have hoped that their setup script would do some improvements to the OS. Unfortunately it doesn’t so if you use a PiSound with their setup script you don’t get the most out of your PiSound, especially latency wise.

Ah, OK, so your criticism is geared towards the default values. I agree that this should be optimised for low latency. Yet, in the end it is software; latency/buffer settings can be changed later on. Perhaps they intentionally chose conservative values to avoid buffer underruns or keep the CPU load low?

Maybe. But let’s wait how this evolves, maybe a more improved setup script pops up in the near future :slight_smile:

Absolutely… maybe they prepare something already before the first batch is shipped. Let’s worry about that when it becomes a problem! :smiley:

BTW: the Barvaux pedalboard you shared is SUPERB! :+1:

And then there’s always the community that can help out if any latency or performance issues occur. And thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I manage to squeeze out a complete song so I can perform it live during LAC2017.