Pitch-shifters finally in plugin store!

The pitch-shifters are now stable and available in the plugin shop!

Look at this beautiful plugin family.

Here’re some of the most recent shared pedalboards, which gives you a great impression of what you can achieve with these new plugins.

Very low and heavy guitar by Gianfranco

The Good Ol Fifth guitar sound by Gianfranco

Crazy SuperWhammy! on a guitar by Jesse

E-Piano Whammy by Jesse

And a voice pedalboard with 2Voices and Harmonizer2 by me

And here’s the full description of these amazing plugins, you can find this description also in the plugin store.

Fidelity

All plugins in the MOD pitch-shifter family have the option to set the fidelity of the plugin. As you lower the fidelity, the sound will become less pristine, but the plugin will also use less processing power. The opposite holds true for increasing the fidelity, this will grant you a clearer pitch-shifted signal at the cost of significantly more processing power being used.

*The Lo-Fi setting is reminiscent of bit-crushed sounds, if you are looking for those synthesizer-like bass lines or dirty octave-up sounds, this is your setting!
*The Hi-Fi setting is great if you are looking to emulate (for example) something like a 12-string guitar, be sure to mind that CPU-meter in the bottom-right of the screen, though!
*The settings in between are created to let you make the perfect trade-off between quality and performance.

A hint for making the right decision: the more you shift the pitch up, the higher you will need to set the fidelity to get a clear sound.

Drop

It’s a pitch-shifter that can drop the pitch to a maximum of -12 semitones (steps).

Capo

It’s a pitch-shifter that can raise the pitch with a maximum of +12 semitones (steps). It is more limited than the SuperCapo, but it also uses less processing power, allowing you to use the resources for other plugins!

SuperCapo

It’s a pitch-shifter that can raise the pitch with a maximum of +24 semitones (steps). It has a bigger range than the Capo, but it also uses more processing power. If +12 semitones up are enough for you, consider using the regular Capo plugin.

2Voices

If a MOD Drop and MOD SuperCapo had a baby, it would be the MOD 2Voices! It sports two outputs with independent pitch-shift controls. The pitch of the input signal can be shifted anywhere between -12 semitones down, and +24 semitones up.
Using a 2Voices plugin rather than both a Drop and a SuperCapo lowers the CPU load on the device.

SuperWhammy

Inspired by the classic Digitech Whammy(*), this pitch-shifter can shift an input pitch from -12 semitones down to +24 semitones up.

“First” and “Last” determine the range of variation where the “Step” parameter will work.
“First” doesn’t need to be necessarily smaller than “Last”.
“Clean” parameter allows you to hear the bypass sound summed with the pitch shifted signal and “Gain” is the effect gain, it does not affect the clean signal.

(*) ‘Other product names modeled in this software are trademarks of their respective companies that do not endorse and are not associated or affiliated with MOD.
Digitech Whammy is a trademark or trade name of another manufacturer and was used merely to identify the product whose sound was reviewed in the creation of this product.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.’

Harmonizer

It’s a (relatively) simple harmonizer plugin that allows you to set the scale(*) to either Major, Minor, or Minor Harmonic, and then shift up a +3rd or +6th, or down a -3rd or -6th in that scale. Like with nearly all harmonizers, you will have to play in the correct key (which can also be configured).

The “Mode” switch has three settings, in the first setting, it will mute the harmonized note when playing outside the scale. In the second setting, it will play the harmonized note, regardless of whether it is within the scale or not. In the third (“Bend”) setting, it behaves like the second setting, while also allowing you to bend notes, allowing for smooth transitions between harmonized notes.

(*) The scale can be set by pressing the gear at the top-right corner of the plugin, in a future release, the interface will support doing this without entering the settings.

Harmonizer2

It’s a 2-voice harmonizer plugin that allows you to set the scale(*) to either Major, Minor, or Minor Harmonic, and then shift anywhere between down an -8th and up an +8th in that scale. Like with nearly all harmonizers, you will have to play in the correct key (which can also be configured).

The “Mode” switch has three settings, in the first setting, it will mute the harmonized note when playing outside the scale. In the second setting, it will play the harmonized note, regardless of whether it is within the scale or not. In the third (“Bend”) setting, it behaves like the second setting, while also allowing you to bend notes, allowing for smooth transitions between harmonized notes.

(*) The scale can be set by pressing the gear at the top-right corner of the plugin, in a future release, the interface will support doing this without entering the settings.

HarmonizerCS

It’s a custom-scale harmonizer plugin that allows you to create your own scale by moving up and down the sliders. With the slider all the way up, the harmonizer will shift the pitch up by +12 semitones. With the slider all the way down, the harmonizer will shift the pitch down by -12 semitones. Like with nearly all harmonizers, you will have to play in the correct key (which can also be configured).

6 Likes

YESYESYES!! :slight_smile: Very excited about this

3 Likes

Looking forward to your feedback!

@Skydiver

I suppose you were eager for those ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

first simple pedalboard uploaded :slight_smile:

Yes I am!

I tried it for a little bit last night.
Unfortunately it uses up quite a bit of the processor… When I added it to my existing pedalboard everything froze after making some very bad noises… I had to restart the DUO.

When I played with it on a new pedalboard I was very impressed with the sound quality in Hi-fi mode. I’m going to play with it a little more tonight.

I may have to get another DUO just so I can use this great pitch-shifter…
which brings me to a suggestion of being able to control multiple DUOs from one GUI… Since I play a stereo instrument (NS/Stick - Chapman Stick) I tend to use quite a bit of processor power and thinking about getting a second DUO, one for each output of my instrument… Still cheaper to get two DUOs than other options in the market today…

Hey guys,
I can’t find these hormonizers at the store.
I could only install a few of these pedals by installing the pedalboards that use them.

How can fix this?

@adewaleandrade

They are in the “Spectral” category

Don’t they appear to you?

…same here - I had to create whole new patches to be able to use the pitch shifting, especially in HQ mode (the lowfi 8Bit version will be fun in the future, but for now, I’m still trying to get close to the sound set I had in my Lexicon which included a pretty good artifact-free pitch shifter/whammy. I wonder if more efficient versions will be possible in time? Or maybe I’ll find an interesting way to filter the ‘normal quality’ pitch shifter to get the sound I want… A lot of the magic happens when you filter out harmonics before the sound hits the harmonizer, so that it’s receiving a ‘purer’ signal, and has less of a problem with the harmonics clashing with the fundamental… Time to do more experimentation!

Hi @solobasssteve and @Skydiver, I have been working on making them run more efficiently, and big steps in the right direction have been made, which is why we decided to release them.
The pitch-shifters and harmonizers do indeed still require a whole lot of processing power, which is the initial reason that I decided to add the different fidelities as a control for the plugins. Making them use less resources is still on our to-do-list, but we felt that we could not keep them from you any longer!

Doing some filtering pre-/post-plugin definitely helps with getting a purer sound. I managed to get some really smooth sounds by filtering off frequencies above 10KHz before the pitchshifters, then having a tubescreamer set to a dark sound after the pitchshifter, followed by a bandpass filter with a high Q.

If there is anybody interested in helping us optimize the code, feel free to send me a message / reply to this post.

//Jesse

3 Likes

great work @jesse !

2 Likes

@jesse
I totally understand. I played with it some more and the sound is great! Especially in the Hi-Fi mode…
I’m going to play with it some more when I have some more time. At the moment I will be playing a few tunes for some friends on Saturday and need to practice.
Can you post a pedalboard showing an example using the filtering to use lower fidelity modes and get a smoother sound?

I think I have a place to use this plugin but I will have to make a whole new pedalboard for it… At the mean time my main board runs at just under 80% of CPU…

@Skydiver
Thanks for the kind words!

When it comes to filtering of the sound, the basic steps that I follow are:

1. What is the plugin supposed to do in the mix? if it is just used for leads, odds are that filtering out low tones will make your final mix sound a lot more to your liking.
  2. What are the problem areas? In the case of the Capo, when running Lo-Fi mode, some ring-modulator type sound artifacts are added, once again, filtering out low tones will clean up the sound a lot. Using a parametric equalizer can help massively in determining which parts of the sound you want to keep, and which parts you want to get rid off. Just keep in mind that we’re running in the digital domain, so reducing the gain by 40dB with filters, and then increasing it by 40dB with a simple gain plugin is no problem at all.

I have shared an example pedalboard that is supposed to sound a bit like a 12-string guitar, showing the differences between the octave up sound, filtered octave up sound, and the octave up sounds combined with the clean signal.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:!

1 Like

@jesse
Thank you for the example. I’m at my day job right now… so I will check it out when I get back home tonight.

In my mixing I use a high pass filter on just about every channel to clean up any possible artifacts which don’t help. It really adds up when you do this over the whole mix! I forget that I can do this with my live rig… With digital gear like the DUO there is no excuse not to put in a high-pass filter at the end of the chain…

I don’t come from the traditional guitar background so I am just learning about filtering/eq before effects. I used to think of EQ as something to fix sounds at the end but when placed in front of effects they have new characteristics. The DUO has let me explore this easily.

I’m going to play with some filters and eq before and after the pitch-shifter and see how I can make it fit in my sound using the lo-fi setting.

Nop.
In fact the total of plugins that are available to me at the store is less than 200 (around 179 I think).
I’ve seen videos and reviews with 400+
I have no Idea what could be causing this…

There are 400+ plugins yes, but they are either not stable, don’t really fit the mod, or need some extra attention for which we don’t have time now.
(in fact, the real number right now is 551)

we’re slowly bringing more and more plugins into the stable section every week.

in a future release we’ll allow the user to install all those plugins, but with a very big warning first…
also, you cannot share pedalboards containing such plugins.

Right now we have exactly 179 plugins that are stable and accessible by everyone. There should be 16 plugins in the “Spectral” category, 8 of which are the ones mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Can you confirm that there are 16 plugins in the “Spectral” category for you too?

//Jesse

@Skydiver
You are welcome! As a guitar player I’m also guilty of cluttering up the mix a bit now and then, the MOD Duo definitely helps with finding a solution for that :slight_smile:.

I have had some great results placing plugins at unusual spots in the chain, I can definitely recommend placing reverbs and drives/distortions directly after the pitchshifter, pre-filtering, too.

Looking forward to your next pedalboard share!

1 Like

I’m having problems with the MOD Drop. Sometimes when i turn it on it retains the original sound with the ‘dropped’ one, resulting in an awkward sound (i want to drop just one semitone). I have to reboot the MOD to fix it. I want to use it live (some songs with drop tuning), so it is very important :slight_smile:

Cheers

@Vauto

Can you share a pedalboard that you have the issue with? Being able to reproduce the problem is very important, it makes us able to fix it :slight_smile:

Can you define “Sometimes” for me? Are there any specific occasions where it happens more often?

//Jesse