Plugin artwork?

I’ve to say these look absolutely sweet and spot on. I really like the realistic look for plugins based in the real world.

also great shot - and If you want to go crazy with promotions: 3D print this and put a dwarf inside.
I really would like to see these types of renders for the non guitar stuff - like OBXD or the NoiseMaker.

A question on the technical side, maybe also for @Kim: are there ways to design these parametric?
Like say have a variable for the number of top row knobs and for the bottom row.

5 Likes

I’m trying specifically to get away from real-world controls which look the way they do because it is practical for manufacturing. Fortunately, a 3D model does not have to conform to those constraints so I can head more in the direction of modern UI controls, rendered in a way that makes them look like they could exist in the real world. These are much more practical to read and interact with especially on a touch display and I don’t feel that they have such an impact that you can’t recognise the amp anymore

I might experiment with that too thanks for the suggestion. Just a heads up, this is a personal project right now

These ones are actually already parametric. I designed them in parametric CAD software and use a plugin to update the models in my rendering software. It makes it very easy to make variations and adjust global parameters that update the whole model. Actually these 2 amps are configurations of the same parametric assembly

5 Likes

I’m working on a GUI for a Vintage Top Boosted VOX AC30 model. Here is a rough SVG (for some reason, the font isn’t showing up properly). I wanted to get some initial feedback on the layout and overall visual approach. I’d like to make it feel slightly more 3D and I haven’t figured out what I want to do with the knobs yet, but I like the knobs @James poasted above.
Vintage AC30

Here’s a PNG:

If this inspires any of you more design-savvy types, feel free to riff on it. You should be able to grab the SVG from this post.

10 Likes

I use the authority vested in me to revive this thread, As the marketing aspect of plug-ins is, in my perception, still a valid and actual topic.

This thread has a lot of value and I like how we challenged each other here!

I rephrase;

How can I help to provide some basic art for plugins that are currently “interfaceless”?

@Kim are you still in the game?
Re-Reading this thread confirmed that you are a guy with friends drive and passion; what if we team up and we offer interfaces?

4 Likes

@LievenDV if you’ve got a fresh take on the AC30 above, I’d be forever indebted :slight_smile:

1 Like

this is a great idea. I’ve been working together with @madmaxwell on his neural modeler. This will be the ui which uses css + svg only.

and just to showcase what’s possible with that approach.

modui

PS: if you like the Mutant you are going to be blown away by the sounds of the neural modeler. :slight_smile:

On the subject of plugins needing interfaces: I think we have a thread where plugins in beta that needed some interfaces. Did the centaur and obxd for this.

13 Likes

Hi @LievenDV
At the moment, of course, I’m not doing anything on such things, but in principle, of course, I’m still at it, if it is desired.

4 Likes

@spunktsch Very cool effects! This gladdens my playful heart! I really like it!

4 Likes

We are working on something to collect people from the community interested in helping with this and other tasks and kind of organize the efforts.
The first step is indeed to measure the interest, the following will be understanding/mapping the plugins on such stages and later which ones you guys (all users/community) think are worth the effort. In a huge summary, this is keeping me quite busy at the moment.

8 Likes

@spunktsch
That looks great!
love how you guys are aiming for the middle ground between code+vector and realism.
The gradient animation is cool and could even develop in something functional, like gain/clipping indicator etc :stuck_out_tongue:
minor remark: I can’t read the aidi dsp logo (or what does it say).

You’re teasing us, because the Mutant is one of my fav’s!

Would you mind sharing the code and svg’s for the front-end?
It would give me insight in how these are connected.

@Kim alright, let’s wait for MOD (via @jon ) to converge community efforts and see what’s cooking.

4 Likes

thanks. Animation could work well with a gate triggering a tube effect.

I’ll plan on releasing some snippits and teasers for when this is ready and MOD is clear on a roadmap.

The logo and other things need to be fixed for version 1.0. You can head over to github and check out my pull request.

Good to know. When done right this should be a flaghip plugin for the dwarf.

5 Likes

@malfunction54

I must say, it’s a simplified SVG design that gave me instant VOX vibe.

Perhaps you could create a bit more depth when needed with an extra border (like described here)

btw your image is rendered as png, did discord auto-convert it?

1 Like

I put 2 images in my post, the first should be the SVG, the second a PNG version, due to the SVG not rendering the correct font.

1 Like

@malfunction54

Ah yes indeed

I just did my first steps into SVG editing so don’t take this design as “finished” or “polished” :smiley:

The tolex structure is a surface of triangles

It still looks cluncky and childish but I’m getting a hang of it.

4 Likes

hey! That’s great! I like it already :slight_smile:

Hi Guys,

How do you go about setting up the MODGUI files to support SVG rather than bitmaps?

Cheers

Andy

2 Likes

it’s html and css. Just use it like in any other context or look at the various plugins in the github repos.

1 Like

played around with this a bit more this evening. I think I’ll try building a MOD GUI with this.

Vintage AC30

I’m getting more familiar with Inkscape. I like it! I fixed the font rendering issue by converting all the text to paths instead of using fonts. Hmm… not sure why the “GAIN” under the first knob isn’t showing up. Odd. if I load the SVG in firefox, it’s fine, but for some reason, the copy uploaded to the forum drops the word “GAIN” under the left-most knob.

Probably need to scale the knobs down a bit so they don’t foul the white border when turned.

8 Likes

I never understand what this move to svg graphics should gain us. Okay, it’s scalable, but why is ii? because it simply have no details. However, give it my love.

1 Like

it does not have to be one or the other. if you use a high-dpi display, the blurry images are awful. and shipping 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, etc versions of graphics is a waste of disk space.

Look at the new wolf-shaper that was pushed into beta yesterday. The GUI is 100% scalable and it is still nice.

3 Likes