Polyphonic Pitch to Midi

installed it, tried it, instant fun

1 Like

@domlo that sounds great! It’s cool to hear it working for keys, I’ve only tried it on guitar myself.

I tried detuning it a bit - it really only works well on 440Hz.
The plugin is awesome - but that limits it to mostly midi stuff for me. Main instrument=Sax, so mostly out of tune :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Maybe in the future there’ll be a “fine tuning” knob to enable 443Hz e.g.
Going even further, there could also be an option to include slightly out-of-tune tones?

I’m droning (haha) on, in any case - awesome plugin!

This plugin seems to no longer be available… at least I can’t find it in the plugin store, beta or otherwise…

1 Like

We moved the plugin, it has a new name and branding.
Searching for “Pitch CV” on the store with beta enable will show it.
Target is to push it to stable very soon, it is mostly just the GUI that needs a little update now, we have finalized the rest (including pitch tracking). Still only monophonic though

2 Likes

How to enable beta plugins in search?

it is an option on the advanced settings part of the web gui.

Also, for trying on a desktop and other things, code is at https://github.com/DISTRHO/PitchTrackingSeries
Same as with the previous version, it uses an output CV port so most DAWs won’t be able to do much with the plugin.

Related to this, I am considering adding a desktop GUI to it, just need to think of a good way to show all the info the plugin can give.

2 Likes

Oh a misunderstanding. The search with the mod device it is known to me. However, I meant the search on the HP https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins. Can you also display the beta plugins there?

Hello @khz HerrZen,

please have a look in the wiki for advanced settings.
https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/MOD_Web_GUI_User_Guide#Advanced_Settings_2

Showing and Installing beta plugins should be easy.
https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/MOD_Web_GUI_User_Guide#Installing_new_plugins

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

not possible. unless you have the link you cant browse the beta plugins in such fashion.
that said, the URL is basically just the plugin URI in base64.

with that we can reach the plugin page if we know its URI.
like AudioToCV Pitch - MOD Devices

3 Likes

True. I remember asking this question before. :wink:

2 Likes

I am interested in the original version of this plugin, since the pitch cv is a completetly different thing. I want the polyphony, which the pitch cv doesnt have.

Would it be possible to get the LV2 file somehow so I can put it on my mod dwarf manually?

1 Like

Seems like the developer @Chris_N is no longer active here sadly…
Any chance the mod team can compile a version of this for dwarf?
Really will like to try this

Or is the mod team working on a polyphonic version of the pitch to cv? That’ll be great too

2 Likes

There is no source-code. So this is a hard no.

Extracting polyphonic information from a strummed instrument is nearly impossible. let alone to do it realtime on such an embedded device.
Normally polyphonic guitar to midi is done with special sensor strips that track each individual string.

Thus I do not expect such a plugin to come any time soon, unless someone dedicates some professional time (and then still the results will vary because of such physics limitations).

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, this plugin was only compiled for Duo and Duo X – I think because it was done prior to Dwarf’s arrival.

Like @dreamer said above, one such plugin would be extremely heavy in CPU usage. Now it must be noted that it’s the MIDI portion of it that’s very complicated.

To clarify that:

The process of disentangling individual notes is doable, even in real time with current processors. It requires a multitude of filters to “isolate” the actual frequencies for each note plus or minus a few Hertz. You can find pedals doing just that, like the 9 Series of Electro-Harmonix, the Boss SY-300, and even the Meris Enzo.

However, to turn those notes into MIDI data, that’s a whole new game. Pitch voltage is one thing, but intensity (velocity), deviation (bend), plucking (attack), sustain (decay), these are all hard to convert into usable midi data. Pitch to midi guitar converters have to sense and output a lot of continuous data, and not all synths interpret that properly. The best systems in the market are therefore those that employ one pickup per string (or piezo, which is actually a lot better), such as the Axon, Roland VG-99, GP-10, SY1000, Yamaha G50, Stringport, and others.

Your best bet right now – which is also the fastest and most accurate system in the current market – is to use a Fishman TriplePlay on your guitar and input that MIDI info into the Mod. It’s an investment of about 220 USD for the base, non wireless model.

There were other users developing guitar to midi plugins, but they all hit the same wall: code starts getting long and there are still ghost notes and harmonics all over the place, and when you finally achieve a good result the CPU load is considerable.

In the 90s the Axon employed a table of notes recorded from many guitars, with different picks, strings, and techniques. The system would take your note and compare to that table searching for a match. That was then called the Neural Net, and that “guess” would work well about 50-70% of the time. When it didn’t work, the system needed two full cycles of the string to get the note right, like Roland did. But even this technique would not, in my opinion, yield a plugin MOD would be able to run.

So, it’s not realistic to expect one such solution, I am afraid. Better do the pitch to midi outside and input that into the Mod.

4 Likes

Hey thanks for the answers!
I don’t expect crystal clear tracking, I want washy ambient pads that loosely follow my playing, just like in the example :wink:

Galactic reverb with regen set to high
try playing a few chords slowly, pass it through a looper.

2 Likes

beta. :+1:

only noting that in case someone’s having trouble finding it, and may not have the “Show beta plugins” option selected in the store.

2 Likes

Speaking of Galactic Reverb I think that zwabo find a superb way to use it:

1 Like

here another possible way to ambient pad

1 Like