Received my Dwarf beta unit today

Just received my MOD Dwarf Beta unit today (in Ontario, Canada). Plugged it in, upgraded the firmware, and plugged my home-brew control chain pedal in and it works - even my hacked together tap-tempo (although I have some firmware cleanup to do still)!

I’ve noticed a couple of weird things so far but I’ll post them separately as bugs. All-in-all it’s a remarkable little unit in such a small package! Congratulations on the design and implementation! I know how hard it is to put that much functionality in such a small package and user interface. I’m very impressed!

6 Likes

Thanks a lot @mark_melvin,
Thanks even more for being a Dwarf beta supporter and sharing your thoughts with us.
We are really proud of the device and happy that you too :slight_smile:
Go ahead and share all those bugs, doubts and features requests. That will allow us to make the Dwarf even better :wink:

2 Likes

I got my beta unit today. Actually since I live in Berlin I was able to pick it up directly. This is really awesome. Very nice feel to it, everything feels sturdy, solid. Everything I tried just works, no issues so far, no crashes, nothing. Some input noise but mostly with my Yamaha Montage, might be a problem with the synth. Awesome work!!!

Something unexpected: My Loopor plugin which I wrote initially for the Duo just worked out of the box as well after installing from the beta shop. Awesome…

6 Likes

It was super nice to meet you in person :slight_smile: Glad that your Loopor plugin worked on the Dwarf with no further reworks. Hope that we can bring them soon to the main side of the platform :wink:

Same from me side!!!

1 Like

Hi All,

I received my Dwarf last week (in France Paris) and waited a bit to take pictures and videos of the unboxing. This is my first Mod Device unit and I’m pretty impressed by the user experience of the unboxing. it looks super stong, is well finished, the case and the cables are great.

A few feedbacks :

• The inserts that holds the dwarf keeps falling. Would you think you could put velcro or glue to keep it in place?
  • A very simple documentation of the box content would be great. Is the USB stick to be used to store presets?
  • The quick start guide should give tutorial examples, because when you are like me that you like to plug the device and here what it got in its guts, it is hard to understand how use it. Once you plug in your laptop it is much more simpler, bug I’m not a big fan of having my laptop all the time plugged.
  • I had no big bugs so far, mostly playing with the looper and a few pedalboards I have created. Only thing concerns the C* Click - Metronome BPM setting when you assign it to on of the endless knobs it is very hard to get a round figure, and I don’t see the point of setting a metronome at 91.3 bpm :).

I’ll browse the forum to contribute a bit more.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi @LarsenAndBass, thanks a lot for the feedback :slight_smile: There was a lot of though put on the cases, indeed.

• Regarding the issue that you point with the inserts, it should actually be glued (the order didn’t arrive like that and we kind of missed it after with the rush to finally ship the devices). We will fix that :wink:
  • Regarding the documentation, on the production stage we plan to have a printed quick start guide on the box (as we have with our other devices). Regarding the USB stick, it is mainly aimed for your backups of the Dwarf. So backup of pedalboards, settings, etc. We just want to not put any lock on the USB stick so you can use it to anything else :slight_smile:
  • The tutorials suggestion makes a lot of sense. Especially now for the Dwarf that we aim to minimize the necessity of connecting it to a computer (you can even build your pedalboards without connecting it). I saved this on suggestions that hopefully we will discuss soon. Thanks :wink:
  • Glad that you had no big bugs. This makes us really happy! Regarding the BPM settings are you saying setting the tempo turning the knob? There were some improvements on the precision of the knobs. Probably your unit was shipped before that, but you can update it on your side :wink:

Go ahead with those contributions :wink:
And thanks for being a Dwarf supporter!

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

That is great if we can create pedalboards without computer (I’m a HXStomp user and I never use my laptop to create my sounds), however I have no idea how to do on the dwarf :). I really like to use these kind of tool with no laptop to experiment with my band during rehearsals.

Regarding the bug on the metronome it seems to only bug from 20 to 99, after 100 it works fine.

Here is a video of the bug : Mod Devices Dwarf Metronome bug - YouTube

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hey @LarsenAndBass,
So I investigated a bit with the team and this is kind of “half feature, half bug”.
The bug here is actually that values above 100 should display 1 decimal.
There are some beliefs that it makes sense to allow some “translate to integer value” feature for BPM controls on assignment time, as our host tempo does kinda the same when assigned to an actuator. But this will not be implemented yet.

Thanks for your reply, but I still find this not usable, I cannot ask my drummer to play 92.8 BPM.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

not sure if this helps, but on the web interface you can click on the text value to edit and write any arbitrary number

2 Likes

Thanks!!

I was asking this for when I’m rehearsing with my band. I’m not taking my laptop all the time.

3 Likes

Any thoughts when the beta units come to Belgium?

1 Like

yeah got it. not something we have planned for 1.10, but we added the feature request to our backlog.
it is not something complicated, we just dont want to add more things into 1.10 that could potentially delay it even more.
sounds like a thing for v1.11

1 Like

Hey Niels,
We are producing and testing the beta Dwarfs one by one in the office to make sure that everything is fine and up to date with each of them.
I can’t give you an exact date, but I can tell you that your unit is one of the next ones :slight_smile:

Here’s a weird one: I’m getting a percussive reverb “thunk” randomly from the Dwarf even when nothing’s plugged in or engaged. I unplugged the output from my DAW and it stopped so is it because the unit is overheated? Not a major thing but curious.

Addendum: Here’s some more weird behavior–so I shut down my unit for a day when it was making that percussive sound. Powered it up again last night and output 2 wasn’t working but all others were seeing signal. Rebooted the hardware three times with no luck, rebooted the hardware with the editor connected and no luck, tried to add the pedalboard again with the editor and no luck, then rebooted, added a new pedalboard then switched to my usual pedalboard and it finally worked. Left it on overnight and it’s still operational. FYI.

1 Like

This is indeed a super weird issue. Thanks for reporting it. We will investigate, but meanwhile let us know if it happens again.

Will do. I’ve left it on for 24 hours and it’s still working but I’ll keep and eye and ear on it.

Obviously I would guess it’s something in the plug in chain since the inputs of 1 and 2 showed signal but not the out of 2.

1 Like

Do you have any beta or trial plugin on your pedalboard?