Recommendations for Bass compressor

Hi fellow MOD-ders!

I just purchased ‘A Little Thunder (aka ALT)’ pickup for one of my guitars: https://www.alittlethunder.com/

As the website shows this is an amazing bit of tech that acts as a normal humbucking pickup as well as producing an octave (or 2) drop from your lowest 2 (or optionally 3) strings. By employing a stereo out jack on your guitar you can split the signal from your guitar to a guitar and bass amplifier. Having played around with my ALT a bit I can see that I’d like to condition the sound on the bass side a bit with my MOD Duo and I’m wondering if some of our esteemed bass players can give me some tips on preferred compressor or limiter plugins that are in the MOD. I don’t really want any effects more just something to smooth out transients and pump up the sound on the way to the bass amplifier.

I plan on producing some videos soon showing both ALT and the MOD Duo used in a guitar/drum Duo.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 Like

:frowning_face: Not even a recommendation from @solobasssteve!? :wink:

I use the A Little Thunder pickup, too with the Duo … but I like its “raw” sound already. Tone is highly subjective and I guess it will be hard to do the knob-fiddling for you :smiley: I say: go with the flow & rock on! \m/

1 Like

Cool! nice to see somebody else here with one! How do you like it? What kind of stuff do you play with it?

Haha, yeah, I thought the same when I read the post: cool, that somebody else is using it. Well, I am a bedroom noodler and play mostly power chords to relax and some fingerpicking to actually improve my skills. How about yourself? Where did you put the ALT (bridge/neck/middle)?

1 Like

Good stuff!

I find the ALT is really good at helping focus your picking for fingerstyle since the bass notes need to be more carefully plucked. I put mine in the neck position on a Baritone Telecaster. I hope to be able to play small shows as a duo with a drummer. I may purchase a second ALT with their acoustic hole mount to accompany myself with bass doing acoustic shows too.

So far I find it sounds better to write new material with the ALT in mind than to adapt existing songs to it, although both can work with a bit of imagination and arranging. I find you really have to rethink soloing.

That’s true… the bass side of the ALT is very clear and (IMO) a bit unforgiving with sloppy playing. But when the Duo adds some reverb, delay and distortion it sounds OK again :smiley:

Do you find the sub-octave mode useful? I could not find any good sounding applications for it.

While I love the ALT, I would probably get a submarine pickup for acoustic. http://www.submarinepickup.com/ Quite a bit cheaper and easier to change if you want to try it on more instruments. Then again, the ALT is a fantastic piece of work and I have not tried the submarine.

1 Like

I personally play tuned down to D, C, and B so I also don’t find any use for the 2 octave drop. Perhaps if you are in standard tuning and are capo’d up several frets it may be handy to have an extra octave drop.

The submarine pickup is pretty cool too! You seem to know all the cool gadgets! :grin:

If you didn’t know already there is an acoustic guitar ring mount for the ALT as well:

It’s not as quick as sticking on a submarine pickup but if you wired it with a short shielded cable to terminate in an inline stereo jack so the jack is not mounted in the guitar itself then it would also be fairly portable.

Ah, right. With capos it might be useful. Now that we speak of it, maybe we can ask Andy if he could make a firmware version where the sub-octave mode is replaced with a setting that does not tune-down the sound at all. Then we could use the Duo to apply separate effects for the lower strings which would still sound like a guitar.

re effects for your acoustic guitar: couldnt you just go into the Duo’s second input with a cheap undersaddle or piezo mic, apply a lowpass filter and then run an octaver on the result to get the “bass” effect? With fingerpicking you probably don’t play leads or fast runs on the bass strings anyway so this might be good enough?

1 Like

Hi,

That firmware idea is a good one! Do you have ALT firmware 2 or 3? I just upgraded to 3 because capacitive touch was a bit hit and miss. Your idea about using a fishman (or some kind of piezo strip) for making a cheapie acoustic bass-string pickup on an acoustic with the MOD is good too, too late for me though I already ordered a second ALT with an acoustic ring. I’ll have to mess around with it a bit and see how portable I can make it. I’ll post back here and let you know.

What kind of guitar are you using the ALT in? Got a pic?

I am also on the version 3 firmware for exactly the same reason: capacitive touch. Hope your acoustic project goes well and look very much forward to your experiments! The guitar portion of ALT sounds very good to my ears, too. With the Duo and come pickups there are endless options to individualise your sound.

My guitar is a PRS Custom SE and I made the big mistake to disassamble it completely for putting the ALT in the Bridge. I thought I would put a Bela in the guitar itself, but it did not work out as expected, so I bought a piezo bridge and now the wiring is difficult and there is no way to get all the sounds possible. So I’d have to compromise and thus is does not get finished. Well, I tell myself it sounds quite OK, when played without amplification, too. :smiley:

You may try GxSVT, which unfortunately been hold back in unstable.
It’s not a compressor, :upside_down_face: but may help you on a other way to get what you after.

Hi @brummer

That sounds pretty cool! For now since I use my MOD for shows I don’t enable unstable plugins but hopefully they will shake the tree soon and let some of the unstable plugins fall down in the basket.

I’m really looking forward to trying the GxSVT in some recordings with Mixbus soon, it’s a great addition to your plugins!

@brummer

Is this it?

No, The GxVBass is a simulation of the all transistor Vox Bass Preamp from 1984, I mean this one:

Which is a simulation of the legendary Ampeg SVT. (Super Valve Technology).

2 Likes

@gianfranco

The Ampeg SVT is indeed legendary it is probably the most popular bass amp for professional touring bands both new and old so it is great to have this modelling available to the MOD (thanks @brummer).

It it possible to get some new blood into the stable plugins soon?

4 Likes

Hi guys

I had confused the two amps. Sorry. There are so many :wink:

Regarding new blood into the plugins, yes, we have news. And more on the way.

@jesse is assuming the “Plugin Master Keeper” position and will now dedicate more time into this.

For the very near future we will - as part of the commercial plugin store accomodation - also have some changes on the servers and repos so that we can give the developers the power to push their plugins by themselves. @brummer will love it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh yes, that will be awesome. :heart_eyes:

1 Like