Release 1.12.0-RC3

Yep, I am using it extensively, it is useful for me for recording sound with video to OBS and playing backing tracks or songs I am trying to learn from laptop through MDX to the only speaker I have.

I understand that it is experimental feature, however it seems like it was more reliable on 1.11

Will try testing connection with disabled gadget and let you know.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

ok that confirms my suspicions. I think there is a race condition somewhere on the boot/startup details that makes the usb not activate properly.

1 Like

After I ran “ssh root@192.168.51.1 “rm /data/enable-usb-multi-gadget && reboot”” the duox disconnected again after a short time to the web gui. (Also once no “Pedalbords Libery” and “Banks” was callable).
According to instructions from:
Duo X as USB Audio input and MIDI device | EXPERIMENTAL

Then I executed “ssh root@192.168.51.1 “rm /data/enable-usb-audio-gadget && reboot”” and I was able to connect to the modx Web Gui again successfully. I’ll let you know if it’s permanent, but it’s been running very stable for a few minutes now - without any interruptions.
Just checked again: The Web Gui is disconnected again after both functions turned off. :frowning:
According to instructions from:
Audio Through USB - MOD Wiki

Are both necessary commands or only the usb-multi-gadget necessary? On the wiki both are listed, in the forum only the usb-multi-gadget.

What I noticed is that the individual pages (“Pedalbords Libery”/“Banks/…” load much faster when it is switched off. With usb-multi-gadget/usb-audio-gadget it took ~very long.

1 Like

During the test, my router suddenly rebooted, very strange. :crazy_face:
This has happened to me only once in the past at a jam with jacktrip because we had set very low latencies. :rofl:

1 Like

wiki is more up to date. the extra -audio file switch is to be able to enable the composite device for MIDI which we know to work well. audio is the tricky part due to needing to be actively running without any interruptions

3 Likes

Just as a supplementary information: I am currently using the 1.12.0 version and have SPDIF enabled as separate outputs (Yeah!!! \o/).

1 Like

so jealous! :rofl: can’t do that on my LE DuoX… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

seriously looking forward to the next DuoX production run… go MOD Audio!!

5 Likes

Got the same feeling. I’ve disabled usb audio gadget thingie, and got quite reliable connection.

I’ve just noticed that hardware UI in 1.12 has System → Device Settings → USB-B Mode setting. Saved me from factory reset right now, as I’ve forgot to touch “enable-usb-windows-compat” file during experiments, and lost ability to connect to device completely. Luckily hardware menu allowed me to enable windows compatibility mode.

Hope this feature’s reliability will be improved one day, as at this point I rely on it in the way that I will prefer rebooting device multiple times, but keep the audio gadget enabled.

1 Like

More discussion about the experimental audio/MIDI over USB can be found here:

Even if I turn off the experimental audio/MIDI over USB, my duox often loses the connection to the Web Gui. Less often but still regularly in short intervals. By reconnecting the USB cable I can access the Web Gui again, but it is annoying and hinders the flow when creating a (new) pedalboard.

1 Like

that will be something unrelated then.
since you know how to ssh and do a few things, do you mind getting a few logs out of the system? (after some reconnect issue happens, of course, not for a regular boot)

then send them to me over private message. dmesg and journalctl | cat are a good start.
thanks!

3 Likes

I have a quick question, which isn’t quite related to the discussion above.

If I’ve understood correctly, the new company’s focus is solely on the Dwarf, which means that software updates will also only focus on the Dwarf. Does that mean that the Mod Duo X will not receive the 1.13 update?

I’ve provided you logs for both failed and successful connection in DM.
Fun part is that when connection fails, you do not have ssh access to gather the logs, and reconnecting the cable never brings it back.
Here is the moment when investing into the wifi dongle configuration paid off, so I can get the logs regardless of the usb connection now.

Would be happy to retrieve any additional data from my unit, if you have ideas what else I can look into.

2 Likes

As MDX owner I hope it will, and also dropping flagship most expensive and powerful product support does not sound great for the reputation. I personally would expect MDX updates lagging behind, due to focus on company surival via the product that still can be produced, but idea of leaving MDX behind completely hurts me a lot.

2 Likes

There might be features that get added to Dwarf only like before, but wont make it back to the Duo or Duo X.
Bugfixes will always be backported.

Since the software that runs on these units is 99% identical, it is very much likely we roll updates to all at the same time.
But also depends on the feature in question…

For v1.13, one big behind-the-scenes change (updating the whole toolchain, including glibc) already works for all units.

5 Likes

That’s strange, I was never able to fix connection by usb cable reconnecting.

1 Like

Was with me also so up to and including the version 1.11. Sometimes it helped at the duox to load another pedalboard, then the Web Gui had worked again until … .

Since version 1.12 this is now possible by reconnecting the USB cable. Fortunately, so I could send @falkTX the above logfiles.

1 Like

Only today I’ve made 25 reconnections and got nothing… interesting, is there any other difference in our setups that can matter. Probably I should try complete wipe of my device to be sure.

1 Like

the pedalboard you last loaded can affect this.
I remember @dreamer having a super weird issue where a specific pedalboard + booting with unit not connected via USB would make it unable to boot. Only happens on the duox production units, not on the older limited edition units. We were unable to find out why.

from @khz logs there seems something going wrong with the SPI interface (used for CV) but would be a wild guess to think it is the same for yours.

5 Likes

Great, thank you for the tip, will create an empty pedalboard to try.

P.S.

wrong with the SPI interface (used for CV)

I do not know if it matters, but my CV output port is used as headphones port, and input CV port is configured as expression pedal input. Switching both to opposite state (to CV) does not seem to have any effect on the issue, unfortunately, and I do not know what else to try regarding SPI.

UPD:

I’ve made factory reset using special image that resets user data, created a pedalboard that contains nothing but one unconnected tinygain plugin and used it for reboots - and seems like it behaves the same.

Additionally, I’ve tried reconnecting USB cable in case if first connection was a success - and it seems to be fine. Ten times in a row. So, basically, it looks to me that if you are lucky to boot properly, you can connect and unconnect cable as much as you want.

3 Likes