Same midi device settings work on duo but not dwarf

I’m using a Morningstarfx MC3 midi controller and I’ve set up a plugin on the duo that responds properly to the settings on the MC3. When I unplug the duo, plugin the dwarf, and try to set up the same plugin and connect it to the MC3 it won’t work. Settings on MC3 are the same, I use the same plugin on the dwarf and map to the MC3 but the settings are not recognized.

Does anyone have any idea what I’m doing wrong? I’m also posting this in the Morningstar user forums because there is no midi din on the dwarf so I have to use one the mini (3.5mm) omniports to connect to the midi in on the dwarf.

1 Like

Here’s the latest - I’ve got this function working perfectly on the mod duo using the midi din connections on the MC3 and the duo. When I use the same plugin on the dwarf with the same settings on the MC3 using the midi 3.5mm connections I get nothing. I’ve tried using all 4 omniports on the MC3. There’s only one midi 3.5mm input jack on the dwarf.

Just checked the docs again for both devices (MC3 and dwarf) and they say that both devices use type a for the trs jacks.

1 Like

Hi Dave,
Did you try with USB ? I have a MC8 and a Dwarf and no problem to get the midi message in the Dwarf (via USB). I remember having trouble with the Din-TRS cable because I didn’t plug well the Din in the MC8 midi out, or not plug deep enough the 3.5 jack in the dwarf…

2 Likes

Assuming you haven’t tried the 3.5mm adapter with other devices, can you verify with a multimeter or continuity tester that the pinout on the 3.5mm adapter that it is wired for “Type A” pinout?

2 Likes

I’m not using an adapter, just a 3.5mmm M-to-M cable. I don’t know how to test anything but continuity on just the cable. I’ve done that with three different ones and they’re all ok.

2 Likes

Haven’t tried USB. There is no USB midi on the MC3, only 3.5mm TRS and 5-pin DIN. I’m using both the duo/footswitch extender and the dwarf, plus the MC3 connected to the dwarf. That’s working DIN to DIN MC3 to dwarf so I’m good with that for now. Don’t know why the 3.5mm MC3 to 3.5MM midi in on the dwarf isn’t working, but as long as it works on the duo I’m good to go.

1 Like

oh, I see, it’s not 3.5mm to DIN. Gotcha.

1 Like

I think @malfunction54 was on the right track. Not all TRS MIDI is wired the same. Before there was an adopted standard, different manufacturers used different wiring. The Dwarf uses the MIDI standard which is commonly called Type-A. I suspect the Morningstar uses Type-B or even the weird TS type that used to pop up on some devices.

2 Likes

I also used the MC3 with the Dwarf and it worked flawlessly. I also assume that you have the wrong cable.

1 Like

Hi,
I’ve tried jack Omniports with the Dwarf with no success too, with each midi-out options (Deprecated, Standard, Tip active, Ring active, type-B)… how did you configure it @Kim ?

1 Like

Oh, now it is working with Midi-out Deprecated and Standard ! I just forgot to reboot the MC8
(type-B doesn’t, Ring and Tip neither)

2 Likes

I am currently no longer using the MC3, so I can’t check. (The MC3 is the best midi controller I know. I now use the JET because it is much smaller. That’s the only reason why I got rid of the MC3.) But I am relatively sure that it was a Type-A cable that I used. Since the MC3 also has TRS plugs, I could also use a simple TRS cable. That actually worked without any problems. No special settings are needed. That’s why I’m a bit surprised about what Dave Parker wrote. For me, it worked without any problems from the beginning.

1 Like

Ports 1 and 2 should be fine as they kick out MIDI TRS Type A

Don’t use ports 3 and 4 as they can be configured to Type B or put power thru.

Will keep looking to see if I can find anything else.

What midi setting do you have on Dwarf?

3 Likes

The 3.5mm are standard TRS and claim to by type a. I’ve used most of them as standard TRS audio cables as well.

There are 5-pin DIN to 3.5mm TRS adapter cables I could try but I already have enough cables to open my own cable store. As long as the MC3 works with the Duo I’m happy. I’m definitely curious about why I can’t get the MC3 working with the Dwarf, though.

Thanks for all your comments!

3 Likes

you have reached true adulthood! :laughing:

4 Likes

If anyone is interested I’ll sell 'em by the pound.

5 Likes

“Can You tell me where my country lies?”

Greetings and God bless, Marius

3 Likes

Update - I got a Boss TRS/midi cable the other day and tried it with the dwarf. No luck. At some point I may try the pin-shorting trick, but things work with the duo and I’d rather play than solder.

1 Like

Weird…on Thomann they say that it is type A, so it should work. I would confirm that with a multimeter

1 Like

Thanks Jon!

I’ve got one. I’ll give it a try. I mostly use it to set tube bias. I just test for continuity using the pinouts in Austin73’s post above, right?

1 Like