Save hardware input/output levels

Sorry to ask that if it is already answered elsewhere, but can these levels be saved as part of the settings for one particular pedalboard ?

You can use “user profiles” that save and load up to 4 collection of settings.

We don’t recommend to save/load hardware levels on a per-pedalboard basis, as that can damage equipment.
Specially dangerous in the Duo X (with the upcoming v1.9 update) since the CV / Headphone / Exp.Pedal modes are part of those “alsamixer” levels.

It is technically possible, but it is not going to come from our side :wink:

1 Like

Damage equipment… you mean blow the amp ? Another practical example of it ?

1 Like

yeah, something like that. very unpleasant if you expect 50% volume but suddenly it changes to 100%.
on the Duo X, the output headphone optionally acts as CV out. so an alsamixer switch could make the headphone receive 5v

1 Like

Ouch !

1 Like

Hello,

I am reviving this thread to be a bit more specific.

What I am really interested about is really the input levels. I don’t thing there is a risk of damage here, is there?
Basically, with some pedalboard, I’m using input two of my Duo for a microphone. On another, I use it for a bass. On another for some line level input. Changing them manually at every change of pedalboard sucks.

1 Like

You can use different User profiles. But that will indeed not change when you change pedalboards, you need to change it in the settings. Think about the User Profiles as something that you would have one for each of your different music projects.

Today I´m feeling like a witch doctor!!!
I’ve brought back to life two old threads already.

Hello @Azza
How did you manage your needs regarding the hardware input/output levels on this thread?
I’ve been using a user profile with -12db on both inputs and 0db on both outputs but I’m not sure off which kind of db metering scale MOD uses. Is it dBv, dBFS, etc.?

I´ve been reading several other threads regarding this but is so much info and I’m yet not sure of anything.
@falkTX could you clarify that to me?

Al the best.

2 Likes

Hello @rogeriocouto Rogerio and @falkTX Filipe,

I don’t know why the DuoX user guide is missing the exact entries because the Duo User guide has some info. Is it the same at least for the LED part on the ModX?

@falkTX, correct me if I’m wrong:
Be aware the LED metering is on the analog side before the A/D conversion for the input, but
on the digital side before the D/A conversion for the output.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

Hi @mj_prod

You lost me… What this has to do with the type of Db metering scale? :thinking:

1 Like

Hello @rogeriocouto Rogerio,

oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t understand your issue before posting.

I think internally it is dBFS.
For the output you can use some of the test tone or noise plugins and measure the volume on the outputs.

1 Like

I also think it´s dBFS but I want to be sure of it so I can calibrate the signal flow accordingly.
Guessing what is going on in the audio flow it is not a good approach and I’ve been doing this for far too long.

Thanks for stepping in.

2 Likes

Hi @mj_prod

I tried to test the input level but could not come to any conclusion so far.

• MOD Duo inputs set at -12dB
  • Sent a -20dB (dBFS) signal
  • The reading with the x42 level meter plugin was at 18.5 dBFS
1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean, the MOD Duo X user guide page has exactly the same info here - and yes, they are the same. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Hello @jon JoĂŁo,

I simply overlooked this part in the wiki user guide, sorry.

3 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@rogeriocouto generally we use dBFS. If there’s a pattern breaker it would be in a plugin

2 Likes

Thanks again @jon

I tested the DUO input levels extensively yesterday sending different signals (white noise, pink noise and a 1Khz Sine Wave).

The readings on the MOD GUI were always around 3dBFS louder than the sent signal.
Now I need to figure out where the signal is being amplified (MOD DUO input or Scarlett 4i4 output?).

I suspect that this related to different calibrations of the units.
On this video section below there is a nice example of that.

To test that, I generated (Daw Oscillator Plugin) and recorded a -18dBFS 1Khz sine wave on my DAW, uploaded to the MOD “Audio File” plugin and played.
The reading inside the MOD DUO was exactly the same (-18dBFS), so my guess is that the MOD DUO is calibrated at -18dBFS.

Can you confirm this information for me?
I couldn’t find any mention to that on the documentation neither on any threads here at the forum but maybe I’m missing something.

Next test will be to record the input of the Scarlett with a -18dBFS signal and upload the result to the MOD DUO to check how the DUO will read that.

5 Likes

Finishing the tests…

• Recorded a -18dBFS 1k signal with my Scarlett 4i4 and uploaded the audio file (.wav) to the MOD DUO.
  • Played the file with the “Audio Files” plugin and measured with the x42 “Level Meter” plugin
  • The result reading inside the DUO was exactly -18dBFS, so I conclude that both units (MOD DUO and Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen) are calibrated the same.

The +3dBFS could be related to several factors like:

• how the signal on the first test was sent from the Scarlett to the MOD DUO
  • how the input settings on the DUO are set
  • how the output settings on the Scarlett are set

I think that the important thing to note on this tests is that both units perceive the recorded sound reference in the same way and therefore we can just set the levels to taste* and be happy!

*Just avoid digital audio clipping and if using the MOD DUO keep CPU usage to around 70% to 80%.

4 Likes

I’m not sure about this, but maybe @Jan can give us an accurate answer.

1 Like