Save hardware input/output levels

I think things are getting mixed up here a bit.
dBFS is used in the digital domain, and does not have a real world value, while for instance dBu does.

So it heavily depends on the input settings how things will be scaled digitally.

3 Likes

Thanks @jon and @Jan

I was researching this subject on the internet and itā€™s very confusing to me.
It looks like that do not exist just one standard but a few on this matter and depends on what each manufacturer is aiming for in terms of headroom.

I think the simple question isā€¦

How setup the input and output levels (device settings menu) of the DUO (and other MOD devices) to get the best signal to noise ratio:

Audio inputs
Line level: ??dB to ??dB
Mic level: ??dB to ??dB
Instrument Level: ??dB to ??dB

Audio Outputs
Line level: ??dB to ??dB
Mic level: ??dB to ??dB
Instrument Level: ??dB to ??dB

With this ballpark information at hand users can infer how to manage their own equipments.
The Wiki info for the MOD DUO on this subject are confuse and outdated.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t :smiley:
I was really busy with other stuff and didnā€™t do more than adding a hardware passive volume button downstream of my Mod Duo for quick adjustments. But I donā€™t play live and when I record, Iā€™ve got all the time and options in the world to adjust my output volume.

For input, I just play with the controls.

4 Likes

I would say that this differs a lot between setups. So thereā€™s no ā€œone answerā€, it will always depend on the result of the MOD device connected with whatever is before and whatever is after it.
Sorry for not being that helpful :confused:

3 Likes