Say hello to the MOD Dwarf

I think this already exists to a large extent. The UI could probably use a Docker image, and maybe there’s room for improvement in the Plugin development section of the Wiki.

Gainfranco, I also see that you are offering the looper reward to those with the Kickstarter Edition but not other versions. Will you allow a way for the rest of us to access those plugins/rewards if we contributed the extra 10 euros? When I bought in I was unaware that the different tiers would have access to different rewards. Hope this makes sense and thanks for considering.

@gianfranco I signed up for the beta tester, will that version also be receiving the stretch goal plug-ins?

2 Likes

No need to worry @Jacob_Singer

You are included in the offer

All Dwarf units from KS will ship with the stretch goals plugins

6 Likes

Will the Mod Dwarf come with bluetooth built in so we can ensure a good connection for listening to backing tracks and editing on a tablet or cellphone? That would seem to be an easy inclusion that would make connectivity much easier for folks.

That’s a very good question. As noted in Web UI over bluetooth very slow, currently it seems impossible to buy a USB Bluetooth dongle which does anything better than 4.0, even though 4.1, 4.2, and 5.0 have all been available for quite a while now. Maybe it’s easier to add a Bluetooth 5.0 chipset to the internal motherboard though?

I don’t really think it would add a ton of cost to the unit either. A lot of other “modeling” type of devices seem to be including wireless these days.

Adding a built in Bluetooth is much more complex than it seems

The unit is all metal so a built in transmitter requires an antenna.

Also, certification wise, it get much more difficult.

Upgrading the BT software stack might me easier though. We’re getting to mainline Linux so it is easier.

2 Likes

Alternatively, it would be cool to add support for a (small) number of Wifi chipsets so that we can add a wifi dongle and connect the Mod to a local network (or tether it to a phone).

WiFi support would be great. First of all, it would obviously provide a fast wireless connection. Second, it would be easy to implement in a way that would allow you multiple MOD devices from one computer at the same time. I’m thinking of something similar to https://github.com/tzapu/WiFiManager from the Arduino/ESP world. First, it creates an AP where you log in with your phone/laptop/whatever and enter login details for the “real” WiFi network to which it then connects. You could then show the IP on the display, and voila. Or like some Garmin watches where you configure the networks while connected via cable (alternatively Bluetooth in this case), the device remembers the list of known networks and connects to the first one it sees.

2 Likes

Yes, support for a WiFi dongle (or even built-in WiFi chipset) would be a massively useful feature - this would solve the ongoing Web UI over bluetooth very slow problem, and also increase usability and the range of phones/tablets which could connect wirelessly with the Dwarf, since in general WiFi connectivity is much easier and faster than bluetooth networking. Ideally it would support both ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) networks and via known wireless access points.

There are several wifi managers available in the Linux world, so in theory it shouldn’t be too hard to integrate one of them. Even with the presumed need to integrate into a custom UI, something like NetworkManager or Wicked should be able to handle the backend configuration of devices, routes etc.

Is the mod dwarf likely to be running mainline then? that would be awesome.

Hi,
Has anyone noted if the Dwarf allows analogue dry-through?

Would be a step change improvement on the Helix.

Hi, I would like to ask about the in/out latency. If it would be around <= 5ms this would be so cool. I assume the current devices with a latency around 8ms are working with a buffer size of 128? If this is intended for the dwarf also, would it be possible to allow the user to select a buffer size of 64? (48Khz?). This way the user could decide in between more effects etc. or a not noticeable latency.

I think that we shouldn’t express latency in milliseconds. I think the proper unit should be in additional metres from the amp.

For instance, instead of 5ms, we should say an additional 1.65m from the amp. Instead of 8ms, we should say an additional 2.64m.

But I agree users should be able to pick whatever latency they want.

Hello team,

Any chance we get midi 2.0 on the dwarf?

1 Like

Or on any unit, probably? is the answer.
JACK (which we use for audio handling) supports it, as confirmed by people from MMA https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/issues/535

No one in the MOD team is part of the MMA group, so we don’t know any specifics.
Let’s wait to see the first MIDI 2.0-capable hardware devices out there.
But there is nothing that stops us, the MOD team, for giving such support.

Of course, plugins will have to be made compatible with it.
But LV2 (the plugin standard we use) is extensible, contrary to VST2 and VST3 which cannot do MIDI2 (not without many ugly hacks)

1 Like

Will there be a stretch goal for 225K? We are close with only 2 days left!

We won’t.

My original plan was to have a final stretch goal at 225k or even 250k, for a professional guitar amplifier.

But I did not manage to come up with a commercial agreement on time for the Kickstarter campaign. And I’ve been talking to three of them.

What I can tell is that at the point we launch the Dwarf in the market, there will be at least one commercial partner supplying great guitar tube-amps simulations for the MOD platform :wink:

8 Likes

Please allow this question from an interested follower:

How does/will the Dwarf compare against the Duo X?

the only difference I can grasp are the 2 display screens and larger amount of buttons/knobs.
Further, the Duo X any seems to have the CV-control functionality and pagination on top as well as the S/PDF out.
I would be interested for use in a rack or table-top.

So, if I am not interested in the CV part, I could buy just 2x the Dwarf and get the same display area.

Do I miss anything or did I overlook any aspect?