Say hello to the MOD Dwarf

there is nothing about usb-c that makes it easier to use it for charge.
on phones we first used proprietary connectors, then usb-mini, then usb-micro and now usb-c.

I think I understand what you mean though, the usb-c cable could be used as the power cord.
I am not familiar with usb-c specs, can it provide sustained 12V 2A power?

Most usb chargers only go up to 5v, so this would lead to confusion when a usb charger doesnt work.

This is coming to most laptops.

USB type C (USB-C) is the latest generation of the USB port. It’s smaller than USB-B and can both supply and receive power. This port is available on some smartphones and some high-end laptops. It’s getting widely adopted in recent years.

It can thus: transfer data & power.

My HP laptop has an input of 19.5V @ 2.31A served by USB-C.

OK, maybe an idea for a future series…

1 Like

Separate data and power would still be needed for a lot of people. Many laptops and PCs still only have USB A, which won’t be able to provide 12V (even with a adapter). But it would be really cool years from now when USB C is way more prevalent. To be compliant USB C has to be able to go up to 20V 2A, so it’s definitely possible

2 Likes

Couldn’t one just use a step up converter? Besides noise and power requirements I do not see problems. These aren’t even overly expensive: Buy from Jeff.

Stepping up voltage loses current, and vice versa. The mod requires 24W (12V x 2A), but most usb ports can only output 2.5W (5V x 0.5A)

Given that the Duo itself only requires half of the quoted 24W …

… I recon you could get by with a standard 2.5A smartphone charger. Since 2012 this is standardized further and one could even satisfy the full requirements. Having said that, I am fine with the lower complexity of just plugging in a 12V adapter.

The problem still remains when one wants to hook up the mod to a computer to use the gui, unless one uses an external hub to connect the mod to the computer and smartphone charger simultaneously, but that defeats the purpose of combining data and power into one port

Not sure if I got the problem that you find here.
You don’t need an external hub, because the USB is just for data (not power). You have another plug/power supply connection that supplies the power.
The idea of the USB is mainly to access the WebGUI (in the most common usage) and edit/create pedalboards. Normal usage in a gig or rehearsal you probably don’t need the USB at all and you use the MOD standalone.
From my perspective USB power is extremely practical, but not to a device that you want to leave on the floor or/and in dark environments. Normally the connectors are not that sturdy and if you step on the cable easily it gets broken.

1 Like

How there, is there any update on the first Dwarf units ? Christmas is over and we’ve not received any news on the new due date.

Hi Tabor
UPS messed um one of the shipments and we could not assemble the units in December.
All parts are now at the office and assembly starts today.
We’ll show pictures here :wink:
Best

5 Likes

Sounds great :-). Short question about shipping. What shipping provider will you use for units shipped inside germany? (I hope dhl because UPS is more of a some kinde of shipping-nightmare here.)

We actually use UPS because DHL has been a nightmare :wink:

1 Like

Hey everyone

Here are some images to tease you all :wink:

I am having a lot of fun trying it out :wink:

25 Likes

Ok, after I had to drive 3.5 km to the DHL store yesterday because the parcel carrier didn’t ring the bell, even though someone was home all day and there are 15 parcel stores closer, I guess it doesn’t matter which parcel service doesn’t ring :-). The UPS store is at least closer, even if I have to descend into the basement of a smoky African hair salon.
Apart from that, the production images look very promising :-).

3 Likes

If Berlin was around the corner I’d help a day to assemble:)) keep up guys/girls

9 Likes

Could you please update your Kickstarter page …

Might go a long way to share what kind of update you are looking to see on the kickstarter page.

Maybe somekind of update on beta model delivery (I’m part of them), I keep receiving emails about plugins offers, more crowdfundings proposal, but I’m still waiting on the original project to be delivered, I feel a bit disapointed.

A couple of units were already shipped out from what I understood.
I think they want to do a more substantial post and are waiting to confirm a few things.

Did you get setup on the Dwarf beta group in the forums? Maybe start a post in the General Discussion section of that area. I think we all feel a bit in limbo, but know that there have been delays and that items only started shipping on the 18th. So I know even if my beta was one of the items shipped, it’s coming from Germany and may take a while to get to me in the US.