Say hello to the MOD Dwarf

A friend just introduced Mod device to me few days ago. Coming from Helix and fractal, and on the list for Neural QC, the interface looks awesome at this price point. My question is should I get the Duo or wait for the dwarf? When is the ETA of the dwarf?

Thanks for the heads up on the Neural QC - I hadn’t seen that before. The Dwarf should absolutely blow it away in terms of value for money, but there is the question of whether the Dwarf will eventually start to support IR modelling (see Is there a plugin that would read IRs? and Cabinet Emulation (Impulse Responses) plugin on roadmap?)

I also just started a new thread regarding stealing some of the hardware design ideas from the QC: Neural QC: foot switches doubling as knobs, and touchscreen.

2 Likes

After reading more posts, I find that mod duo doesnt support IR modelling. And so far there are two amps and cabs plugin for download, correct me if im wrong. Right now my G.A.S. is kicking and itching for something new to play with until Sept when the Neural QC comes out. But if there`s no IR modelling or plugin that does something similiar, it kinda turns me off. Does anyone know the estimated time when the dwarf will be release?

I think there are a lot more than that: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins?category=Simulator&random=fb6787c9ca0e423caac7779b06dbbce9

Also note that some of these plugins offer multiple models.

I don’t think anyone outside MOD has any idea on this yet. I guess more details will be shared when they open the Kickstarter.

1 Like

Great to know that I’m wrong on the amp and cab sims.

Hello @Mikko1270,

user @Fish linked a google docs spreadsheet about plugins and simulations in this thread
Also there are the MOD Modern, Vintage and Bass cabinets.
Hope that helps.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

I just discovered your company via an ad on Facebook. I use a Line6 modeler now, but I’m very excited about the Dwarf! I’m a long-time software developer and Linux user, so I’m very attracted to the open-source nature of your products.

I have a suggestion: given how you emphasize the small size of the Dwarf, take it one step further so it’s not just small but also mobile.

To be mobile, it would have to be possible to power it (in addition to the AC adapter) either by an internal battery and/or by the battery in my phone or tablet (i.e. via USB).

iPads have batteries with anywhere from 19 watt-hours (Mini) to 36 watt-hours (iPad Pro). I don’t know how many watts the Dwarf will draw, but I think even 19 w-h would be enough to power both the phone and the Dwarf for several hours.

Alternatively, build a battery into the Dwarf.

Then I could play anywhere, no AC power needed.

Thanks,

Greg

2 Likes

I would prefer the option to power it with an external battery pack rather than putting a battery in it.

I would not use it on battery very often. Most of us connect it to an Amp or speakers (which very often means accessing the main power). I understand the need to use it on battery if you’re busking or similar circumstances, but that is not necessary the majority of the users.

On the other hand, proprietary batteries are a pain to replace, not environmentally friendly, add weight and extra costs.

I also suspect that it would put the Dwarf in a totally different class of devices in terms of safety requirements and tests that may be way too much of a burden for Mod Devices to handle. Don’t forget that batteries can be very dangerous when not operated the right way. There are also restrictions about carrying battery operated devices while travelling on planes etc…

1 Like

When I purchased my Mod Duo, the Mod Power Pack was bundled with it.

There you go !

2 Likes

I might have missed that detail, but will the Dwarf be able to act as an audio interface (apart from the usual hack of using jack networking) ?

1 Like

You did not miss anything. We did not specify that yet.

2 Likes

Does this mean that it is not out of question ?

Is the exact size known ?. Need to plan my new pedal board :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We do not know the final one yet. Just the prototype. Would approximate sizes work for you?

Here’s a teaser. Prototype is alive :wink:

13 Likes

Yes, for sure. Nice :+1:

@gianfranco, in crowdfunding in the mod duo, there was a specific item for sale in Brazil. In this new crowdfunding, will you have a similar option?

Hi @SrMouraSilva

I have been thinking about how to make this possible again. If we come up with a proper solution we will surely offer such pledge again

1 Like

Hmm. That looks too large to really be called “mobile”.

I was thinking something much smaller. Remove all the knobs, buttons, lights, and screen. Nothing but jacks. Really shrink it down–like maybe 15x7x3 cm. Small enough to be mounted on the guitar, guitar strap, or your belt. Can only be controlled from a phone or tablet. Power it from the the phone/tablet.

So not really a pedal for a floorboard, but rather a practice/headphone device. But has output jacks that would allow it to be plugged in studio monitors, FRFR stage monitor, or PA.

Maybe this is something separate and in addition to the Dwarf. Call it the MOD Micro, MOD Mobile, or something like that.

2 Likes

Good idea, but must be an addition to the family, not something instead of the Dwarf.

Actually, a nice thing could be to be able to have this almost embedded in the guitar itself !

3 Likes