Say hello to the MOD Dwarf

I use two Mod Duos on my solo bass guitar board; I’ve just for pitch shifting, and the other for all my other effects, like distortion, delay, reverb, way etc. I would love it if I could do all of that in one device and trigger multiple plugins with a single button press or midi signal.

1 Like

It’s super exciting and I really appreciate the upgrade offer!

I’ve dreamed of a rack-level MOD device that could input several instruments into a “pedalpool” where you could mix and re-route them all to your delight. In the meantime, this seems like an exciting path forward. I’d like be able to use Duo with 3 / 4 different instruments (and more…) without breaking the bank. Overall size and amount of gear is a consideration too. This seems like it might hit a sweet spot where I can run a few Dwarves in tandem.

While we’re dreaming, it could be interesting to have the ability to link multiple Dwarf devices together - as part of the control chain and sync clock data and other uses. It would be great to be able to share footswitches and expression pedals between multiple Dwarf devices. For example, two Dwarfs connected in serial with a footswitch and an expression pedal and the actuator can be mapped to either or both Dwarf devices.

1 Like

This looks great - I’m in!

I think that’s very cool to have a special rate for Duo owners - upgrading the CPU on a huge number of units would be impossible in practice and this is a different beast - so seeing as it’s still a way off I’d be down for suppporting the kickstarter for sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can see the Kickstarter campaign is starting. So what is going to be the price for enthusiast ModDuo owners @gianfranco ?

Looks like a really sensible design. One less screen. One extra knob and foot switch. Four new buttons. Right mix of 1/8" and 1/4" jacks. Handy indicator lights like before.
I really like it!
Yet, I still really need a digital I/O. TosLink, SPDIF/AES, any of these would do it. Is there any chance this feature could be including? :pray:

2 Likes

I only just noticed this. That’s insanely good value! Especially when you consider that single pedals can cost more than this. Hopefully it will cause a watershed moment where normal guitarists and dealers finally wake up to this amazing company :slight_smile: I’d love to see MOD attract much wider attention so that they can afford to expand more quickly.

Don’t suppose we can get some kind of indication of how much different the CPU is likely to be when compared with the Duo? Not asking for any promises, just a rough idea :wink:

3 Likes

@Azza, you and me are the only ones…

We will inform this officially soon but probably around 150€. We’re still finishing some calculations for the campaign.

7 Likes

I will definitely support the Kickstarter campaign :slight_smile:

1 Like

What if the Dwarf could host a simple class compliant audio interface, like a 2x2 TosLink interface? A 4x4 analog interface would be interesting too.
I’m pretty sure it’s possible too, knowing ALSA and Jack.

4 Likes

A friend just introduced Mod device to me few days ago. Coming from Helix and fractal, and on the list for Neural QC, the interface looks awesome at this price point. My question is should I get the Duo or wait for the dwarf? When is the ETA of the dwarf?

Thanks for the heads up on the Neural QC - I hadn’t seen that before. The Dwarf should absolutely blow it away in terms of value for money, but there is the question of whether the Dwarf will eventually start to support IR modelling (see Is there a plugin that would read IRs? and Cabinet Emulation (Impulse Responses) plugin on roadmap?)

I also just started a new thread regarding stealing some of the hardware design ideas from the QC: Neural QC: foot switches doubling as knobs, and touchscreen.

2 Likes

After reading more posts, I find that mod duo doesnt support IR modelling. And so far there are two amps and cabs plugin for download, correct me if im wrong. Right now my G.A.S. is kicking and itching for something new to play with until Sept when the Neural QC comes out. But if there`s no IR modelling or plugin that does something similiar, it kinda turns me off. Does anyone know the estimated time when the dwarf will be release?

I think there are a lot more than that: https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/plugins?category=Simulator&random=fb6787c9ca0e423caac7779b06dbbce9

Also note that some of these plugins offer multiple models.

I don’t think anyone outside MOD has any idea on this yet. I guess more details will be shared when they open the Kickstarter.

1 Like

Great to know that I’m wrong on the amp and cab sims.

Hello @Mikko1270,

user @Fish linked a google docs spreadsheet about plugins and simulations in this thread
Also there are the MOD Modern, Vintage and Bass cabinets.
Hope that helps.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

I just discovered your company via an ad on Facebook. I use a Line6 modeler now, but I’m very excited about the Dwarf! I’m a long-time software developer and Linux user, so I’m very attracted to the open-source nature of your products.

I have a suggestion: given how you emphasize the small size of the Dwarf, take it one step further so it’s not just small but also mobile.

To be mobile, it would have to be possible to power it (in addition to the AC adapter) either by an internal battery and/or by the battery in my phone or tablet (i.e. via USB).

iPads have batteries with anywhere from 19 watt-hours (Mini) to 36 watt-hours (iPad Pro). I don’t know how many watts the Dwarf will draw, but I think even 19 w-h would be enough to power both the phone and the Dwarf for several hours.

Alternatively, build a battery into the Dwarf.

Then I could play anywhere, no AC power needed.

Thanks,

Greg

2 Likes

I would prefer the option to power it with an external battery pack rather than putting a battery in it.

I would not use it on battery very often. Most of us connect it to an Amp or speakers (which very often means accessing the main power). I understand the need to use it on battery if you’re busking or similar circumstances, but that is not necessary the majority of the users.

On the other hand, proprietary batteries are a pain to replace, not environmentally friendly, add weight and extra costs.

I also suspect that it would put the Dwarf in a totally different class of devices in terms of safety requirements and tests that may be way too much of a burden for Mod Devices to handle. Don’t forget that batteries can be very dangerous when not operated the right way. There are also restrictions about carrying battery operated devices while travelling on planes etc…

1 Like

When I purchased my Mod Duo, the Mod Power Pack was bundled with it.

There you go !

2 Likes

I might have missed that detail, but will the Dwarf be able to act as an audio interface (apart from the usual hack of using jack networking) ?

1 Like