Selling my Pisound (Raspberry 3B+) with MODEP

Hello, it might interrest some people here, I’m selling a Pisound assembled with a Raspberry 3B+, a 8gb micro SD card with MODEP preinstalled, and the power supply.

MODEP is a tool for emulating a Mod Duo on the Pisound (but you don’t have access to the store and some other feature of the Mod Duo).
It can be useful for a cheap 2nd Mod Duo in your pedalboard, or if you want the Mod Duo but doesn’t have the money yet.

I’m selling it because I already own a Mod Duo and doesn’t need a second.

I’m selling it 100€, but I’m open to any offer :

The PiSound and MODEP projects are interesting, thank you for mentioning them. How was your experience with it? Did you encounter any noise or technical problems? I think I might order one to try out (and support their effort).

It works well, you just don’t have access to the store so you have to wait for another release of the iso and flash it again if you want new feature and pedals, but maybe you can install plugins with SSH I don’t know
You can’t share pedalboards either.
Also you have only 1 hardware button to interract with, and you can’t bind it since its used to select banks, so you will need a midi controller.
I don’t think that Control Chain device works with it but you have more USB than on the duo and the bluetooth/wifi is built-in (since it’s a raspberry).

Great, and thank you for the information. :slight_smile:

you have to wait for another release of the iso and flash it again if you want new feature and pedals, but maybe you can install plugins with SSH I don’t know

I’m not sure either - it seems possible that one could use the sources to build a custom ISO and/or load LV2s onto the device via SSH or storage. I’m sure I’d miss a few recent favorites from the store but for many of my use cases the stock set is workable.

Also you have only 1 hardware button to interract with, and you can’t bind it since its used to select banks, so you will need a midi controller.
I don’t think that Control Chain device works with it but you have more USB than on the duo and the bluetooth/wifi is built-in (since it’s a raspberry).

Thank you for the tip. This is OK for me, I already have a USB controller with 4 switches and an expression pedal. Also an FCB1010 in the garage that I could dust off… I’m also interested in building my own custom controller boards but don’t want to hit too many technical hurdles. I like that they appear to have a working breadboard example with a few buttons and pots.

I’ve been putting some thought lately into my next steps for equipment for recording and performing. I wish I could have a few Duos - one for each instrument (…plus backups :stuck_out_tongue:) but that gets pretty expensive and I’m feeling spooked about the stability of both the device and the company. Sometimes I imagine more of a rack or mixer style device with several input channels. Having multiple PiSound devices could work well, especially with the controller app and extensive MIDI mapping that it seems to have.

I don’t think that Control Chain device works

Not a problem for me. I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish with the protocol but I haven’t seen success stories with the CC devices. I’ll stick with USB and MIDI (and OSC which seems to be well supported there)

Thank you again for the info @Fish

1 Like

Hi @unbracketed

Just pitching in on that part of your post to reassure you that there is no reason to worry about either of those.

Last year, we gained a lot of visibility and awareness with several important publications reviewing the Duo positively, we opened distribution channels across Europe and part of Asia. This year, we’ve already been at NAMM and will soon exhibit at Superbooth and Sónar. Even our plugin releases have been constant and the frequency is increasing.

Unfortunately, we are still prone to the pains of increasing our product line and dealing with suppliers as a small company. But thankfully, our stability is not an issue. And, if sometimes we seem a bit “disconnected”, it’s because we’re working like crazy to deliver what you are expecting (in every sense of the word).

Cheers!

2 Likes

@dwek And we as a community appreciate your commitment very much. But as a user there’s always the problem of a vendor lock-in. Regarding Control Chain, it’s risky to depend on a protocol that isn’t adopted by other manufacturers (so far) as long as there are standards like OSC and MIDI established already, because it might be dropped in the future. Maybe this is what @unbracketed was trying to say.

Everything surrounding control-chain is opensource and available, so technically speaking there is no limitations in case someone wants to make a device based on it.
But understandable with the fear of it being pushed by one single company.

To be honest, MIDI2 already fills a lot of the features that control-chain was initially designed for.
I have not seen a single MIDI2 device in the wild though, and parts of the spec are still not quite open, so it will take time.

OSC is great, but the lack of standardization on the data structure is a show-stopper.
Everyone rolls their own, so there is lack of interoperability.

5 Likes