[solved] High noise level at all times

Just received my Dwarf yesterday and right away I noticed the noise that sounds like interferences from a computer.

To test, I only connected output 1 directly to my bass amp (Fender Rumble 150). No other connections were made.

I tried the new option for reducing the noise related to ground loop in the settings (latest firmware 1.11) but that did not change anything.

Since I own a ModDuo, I swapped the 2 power supply. Now, the Dwarf is completely quiet and it is the Duo that is noisy.

So, like many of you, I will have to order a new PSU.

6 Likes

If you’ve gone down the new power supply route and found that the cable on the new one is a bit short, you may want to get one (or more!) of these. I got a couple of 1.5m and a couple of 3m - arrived today!

(not planning on joining multiples together - just nice to have spares!)

4 Likes

same problem here. The static noise started after a week of using. Switching to another power supply solved the issue. The one delivered with Dwarf is a piece of crap…

Could you share a pic of of the one delivered with Dwarf?
What’s the rig setup you use with Dwarf?

The Dwarf was bought at Thomann and delivered with an UK socket plug.

Rig setup is not important. The noise was present always. Using other power supply solved the issue.

4 Likes

For me, switching to a power supply that does not have a ground pin on the plug solved the problem (as several other users have found). I tried 2 different power adapters and both eliminated the noise. I will say that the included power supply didn’t exhibit noise problems when I use the Dwarf alone. The noise only turns up when I have other pedals connected or have the dwarf connected to a guitar amp. You can also enable ground loop compensation and see if that helps.

3 Likes

I got this and I think it’s not noisy. It comes with a Schuko plug. I use the Dwarf standalone (no amp & cab).

2 Likes

FYI we shipped Dwarfs with 3 or 4 different PSUs. Due to the supply chain crises was really hard to keep the supply chains that we were using so we needed to find more sources.

That’s really weird. Did you get it A-stock?

1 Like

yes. It was bought as A stock, but it was previously opened and used. I complained to Thomann and they gave me a discount additionally. I decided to keep the unit, because aside that I did like it.

2 Likes

ok. So that’s not really the definition of A-stock :sweat_smile:
Most likely they swapped the cable by mistake to a UK one. Not that we couldn’t do that mistake in-house while fulfilling, but I doubt it quite a bit. I would believe it more if you have ordered directly from us.

1 Like

yup.

Nevermind. I am using another power supply, that works.

I wanted to order directly, but you did not have it on stock (at least what the webshop said).

2 Likes

UPDATE: I have just tried to use a custom cable without the GROUND wire connected. It solves the issue also with the delivered power supply.

4 Likes

I considered modifying an existing IEC power cable to remove the ground pin, as this would give me the ability to use an IEC cable of any length. Is this similar to what you did?

1 Like

I’ll have to say I only had ground issues when connected via USB with my computer and the original MOD power supply.

Everything else worked without a problem. I have a ton of 12V power supplies from old harddrives - these work all great.

I recently bought this UPS which works great with the dwarf. 2h+

4 Likes

hi @spunktsch !

are you using the 18W or the 25W version of that UPS?

3 Likes

I use the 25W Version.

4 Likes

Since I use this power supply all noise is gone (instead of noise of wrong gain staging of course): Thomann NT 1215

6 Likes

I have experienced the same noise.
I have a tube amp which is grounded, and when I plug the dwarf via 1/4 jack an horrible humm sound is present in the background.
For mine It was a ground loop issue.
I just pluged the power supply of the Dwarf to a wall-socket at my home which is ungrounded and the noise disappeared.

So either you have a wall socket ungrounded available or you must buy a power supply without ground to resolve the problem…

7 Likes

I just did this mod today on a spare IEC cable I had lying around and can confirm that it worked.

5 Likes

I also tried disconnecting the earth connection from an IEC cable when I was doing my initial testing and it solved the issue OK, but I wasn’t going to recommend that anyone else try this.

3 Likes