Tested and approved MIDI controllers

Hi all,

I often see people asking for advice on which MIDI controller to buy, or asking whether the controller he/she already own will work well with MOD devices.

There have been several threads in this forum about this but they are all hard to find (we don’t have a MIDI category!! I think we should have one!)

I was thinking it is a good idea to have a wiki page listing all the MIDI controllers people have already tried so we can have an organized list with information for people looking for this information.

It could also have comments on each device, stating some specific information on what may not work or how to properly configure it.

What do you think?

5 Likes

I think this is a great idea.

While building my first pedalboards in the MOD, I realized I needed more footswitches than the two provided by the MOD Duo itself. At first I tried working it out with the switchbox, allowing me to make three different sounds from clean / crunch / distortion. But didn’t quite cut it.

I stumbled upon the iCon G-Board, which does work. Only problem is that the LEDs on it doesn’t turn on when a footswitch is engaged. Seems to be a problem with the software within the iCon. (If anyone else tries it out and manages to work this problem out, let me know :slight_smile: )

I also use an Akai MPK Mini. By using a USB-splitter I could connect both of them to the USB-port in the back of the MOD Duo and therefore have one pedalboard where I could control 10 different effects for my guitar, and at the same time use 4 different simulators for the Akai. Another awesome thing was that the Akai has 8 knobs and 8 pads, all which can be assigned any parameter. Useful to not have to scroll through it all on the knobs on the MOD.

Really cranked the CPU with that board, but did work :smiley:

TLDR; iCon G-board (OK, LEDs not working properly) and Akai MPK Mini (Works awesome)

3 Likes

I think this would be useful as I found out that some didn’t work well, like the Sensel Morph.

Programming a Neotrellis M4 as a midi controller works really well. I’m pretty sure any DIY midi controller made with an Arduino should work too

Ok,

So here is a first draft: https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/MIDI_Controllers_tested_by_the_community

Maybe if it grows too big it will have to be reorganized. Let’s see how it goes!

Feel free to edit it!

1 Like