Tested and approved MIDI controllers

I think this would be useful as I found out that some didn’t work well, like the Sensel Morph.

Programming a Neotrellis M4 as a midi controller works really well. I’m pretty sure any DIY midi controller made with an Arduino should work too

Ok,

So here is a first draft: https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/MIDI_Controllers_tested_by_the_community

Maybe if it grows too big it will have to be reorganized. Let’s see how it goes!

Feel free to edit it!

3 Likes

Definitely interested in how the linnstrument behaves.

Greetings all! I see that there hasn’t been much going on in this thread but thought I’d post a few observations. Let me preface this by saying that I’m a NEW user as I’ve only had my DUO a couple of weeks (I LOVE it btw!). I realize that MOD is still relatively new and I DO appreciate the approach they’ve taken toward having a device that users can tweak and add-on to.
The way I see things going for MOD is split, one way for “live” the other for “recording/studio” use. The DUO seems sturdy and its appearance seems cast toward being used for live situations. I’m a working guitarist (well, working before COVID hit) and am planning on using the DUO for my live gigs. I’ve gathered several foot controllers and multi-effects boxes over the years and own a few competitors to the MOD Device products so my post here is really more of a request & comparison than a complaint. For “live” gigs I’m still old school and use amps…I haven’t yet fallen into the “it sounds just as good through the PA” hype. I will admit it’s getting there but I still love the feeling of the guitar and amps interacting. I use a simple 4-cable setup so for me it’s a necessity to have a device that will work with an effects loop. ALL of the DUO’s competitors have this…Kemper, Fractal, Mooer and others. I know this requires a change in hardware and with the DUO being 1st out the gate and production costs being what they are maybe it was just not feasible…fair enough but at some point I feel it’s going to need that capability to compete.
Taking an idea from the Fractal camp, it would be REALLY nice to have dual-functioning foot switches on both the DUO and the MOD foot switch. The Fractal (FX8 & AX8) have x/y switches allowing 2 settings for each device you have positioned in that particular slot, i.e. x/y delay or x/y overdrive effetely doubling up the variations for your effects. It’s a really nice touch.
The Mooer (GE300) is the ONLY device I’ve found to be completely configurable. You can set the output for your effects loop anywhere in the chain (as with the Fractal) but the Mooer also has XLR outputs which can be used separately from the 1/4" outputs. This comes in handy for outputting their “synth” component or anything else you want to go FOH. Another nice touch.
I’m in the process of trying a “Eureka” prom updated FCB101 and a GC pro controller for the DUO. I’ve heard good things about each. I’ve thought hard about buying the MOD foot switch but with only 4 switches it just won’t cut it for live stuff.
I’m sorry for being so long-winded but I wanted to put these observations out there in hopes that MOD might implement them at some point in the future.
I’ll shut up now by just stating that I LOVE the DUO and am not disappointed at all by my purchase. PLEASE keep up the good work! Thanks all!

2 Likes

Hey @Bruceboulie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is really appreciated.

Just wanted to check what you meant here:

Are you saying that the Duo can’t do a 4 cable setup?

It was my understanding that you could do something like this:

Instrument -> (pedals) -> Duo [ Input 1 -> Plugins -> Output 1 ] -> (pedals) -> Amp In

Amp FX send -> (pedals) -> Duo [ Input 2 -> Plugins -> Output 2] -> (pedals) -> Amp FX Return

I’m sure others here with more experience can help clarify :slight_smile:

Hi Danmh, you’re absolutely right you can do it that way. I forgot to mention that I run my rig in stereo to get a nice, wide sound. I just really wanted to point out that having the ability to incorporate a loop and STILL go out stereo is a feature the competition has. Thanks!

Hi @Bruceboulie, thanks a lot for your detailed feedback!
I’m happy to know that you are happy with your new Duo. Sorry for the delay in the answer, hope that during this time you manage to keep the opinion and get even more excited about your Duo (did you?)
Just wanted you to know that your feedback is being taken into consideration by MOD team.
On a personal note, from the devices that you refer to, I feel that some have similar goals with the MOD, others not so much (like the Kemper, for example).

Anyway, it’s really nice for you (and the rest of the community) to share how they really want to use the devices, so the team can optimize them in those directions.

Just tested Harley Benton MP100 midi controller (clone of MeloAudio MIDI Commander) and it works perfectly.

For those interested, here it is a custom opensource firmware but it’s kinda pre-alpha stage currently

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Lexicon footswitch designed for the MPX G2? I am in the process of replacing my MPX G2 with a Dwarf (although I think the one that just arrived is faulty. The display is constantly flickering and I can’t get a clean sound through it and now it’s making weird noises when I’m not playing).

It seems like a great solution, given it’s layers of program switching, along with being able to turn on and off individual blocks.

Do you mean the MOD Dwarf? Is this the issue that you were reporting in the other thread?
Now reading it from here I also think that something may be “funky” with your power supply or even with the place you are connecting it. Please write to support@moddevices.com about the issue (add your serial number and maybe a video of what is happening to speed up things :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Update for the folks here: I got my Dwarf replaced and the new one functions perfectly! I’m looking forward to hours of experimentation!

3 Likes

Hello @BoulderBass Edwin,

the Lexicon MPX R1 should work with a standard MIDI to TRS Type A cable.

For using the Lexicon MPX R1 controlling snapshots and pedalboards please have a look here.
If you want to control plugin parameters via MIDI have a look here.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Lots of info about MIDI controllers, but is there some options for an expression pedal? I heard you guys are developing one. How far down the track is that anticipated to be?
A page on the Wiki for expression pedals would be awesome.

1 Like

I think the best bet for expression pedals is to get a MIDI controller thing and a separate expression pedal to go into that, then send them both into the Mod device together. In my case, I’m currently using the M-Vave Chocolate with a Hotone Soulpress II. The best part of the Soulpress II is that it has separate expression and audio outputs so I can use it as a wah like normal going into my Mod without having to mess with a virtual wah plugin inside the Mod (no perfect way to switch on a virtual wah). Then it’s also a nice expression pedal for any parameter. Then you also have 4 bonus stomps with the Chocolate! Other midi controllers that also work great and take a generic expression pedal (tested and work great with my Dwarf and Duo) are the Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby and the Logidy UMI-3.

3 Likes

Yep. We have a sort of list in Expression pedals and adapter options for the Dwarf.

@James is the best guy to give updates, but as far as I know, the hardware is mostly set and waiting for the “go” to move into a test production. The firmware side then should be rather fast.

I will save that suggestion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As @jon said, we have a topic where I give updates about the status of the expression pedal
Expression pedal update

4 Likes

I gave up on the stock FCB1010 but have had GREAT SUCCESS with both Line 6’s FBV Shortboard Mk II and FBV Express Mk II. They plug in fine to USB and can be easily programmed on Mac and PC with an editor to send CC or Midi machine control. The switches can toggle or be momentary or even be set to increment values. The lights reflect the on off state of the pedals but not necessarily the state of the MOD depending on what the initial settings of your pedalboard are. I just zero out the pedals with each new song. I also got the midi program change to work with boards and snapshots. The LCD displays what midi is being sent when you press any switch.

The shortboard is built like a tank and can be found used for a little over $100 in the US. The express has a plastic base with 4 metal pedals, but is about half the price.

5 Likes

I realize this post is very old, but I just got an MP100. It’s not working so I probably haven’t put in the correct settings. Can you let me know what you did to make it work?

Many thanks …

1 Like