The onyx - a Tube amp simulator -

Any news for the source of the Onyx? I’ve been studying amplifier simulation and this being an amazing plugin I’m sure it would be a good reference.

hi,

is it possible to use the Onyx as a common LV2 plugin, independently from the MOD UI?
I do not have a mod device (yet), I would like to try out the Onyx on my linux machine.

thanks.

Pinging to know the state of the source code release, as it’s been a long while. Any news, @falkTX and @Jarno?

Hi,

I am not planning to release the source code for this plugin. It will remain cosed source.

Kind regards,

2 Likes

I see, thanks. I brought it up because @falkTX had mentioned above that it would be open-source due to its use of FFTW (which is GPL). I’m assuming that’s not the case anymore?

There was some confusion regarding this, but the onyx in fact doesn’t use FFTW.

Just got the MOD Dwarf, and in my brief audition this was the amp model I gravitated to the most by a wide margin. Kudos! I look forward to future plugins you develop.

3 Likes

The amp is interesting but I think it is affected by a lot of artifacts (I think it’s called “aliasing problem”). This is the config I’ve used in my test

https://voca.ro/16RGN8QrverU

Not sure if it is strictly related to the amp or pair amp + cab.

1 Like

With which cab did you try it?

cabsim-modern

Do you notice it if you use other cabs?
If you have/use IRs of cabinets, try the IR Loader and load a IR that you are used to.
Let us know about your findings.

2 Likes

Not able to replicate so far.

So would you say that it’s something happening only with the Onyx?

I think so, waiting to test the Titan amp too.

1 Like

Hey guys, I got my Dwarf a couple of weeks back and this was the first amp sim I tried, along with loading my own custom IRs, etc.

Overall I like the sound of it, especially paired up with a tubescreamer in front, but I have to agree with @redcloud - especially at high gain settings. For a good test, crank it up and do a bend up on the highest fret your guitar has, then do a slow release of the bend. You’ll hear what sounds like old radio tuning noises in there, which I’d say sounds a lot like Intermodulation Distortion, or indeed some aliasing.

I did a bit of testing after that and around half of the high gain modules have this problem to a degree. Most you’d never notice playing lower on the neck or with less gain, but Heavy Metal guy has to Metal, right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I can’t say for sure if this is the Onyx or there’s something in the Dwarf that’s doing this that is being exacerbated by the high gain settings of the Onyx though.

But otherwise, it sounds fantastic and would likely end up as the core of the guitar sound I’m designing. The Dwarf in general is a pretty impressive bit of tech!

3 Likes

This is probably from the Onyx and not from the Dwarf (do you have reports of that happening with any other amp sim?).
Anyway it’s worth the test on our side.

Hey Jon, I don’t have a definitive list of anything at the moment but when I was looking for alternatives to the Onyx, there were a few other pedals and amps that did similar things to various degrees.

I’ll see if I can dig up a bit of time to put together a list. What’s weird is that it’s not like this and 1 or 2 other modules, it was fairly common on what I tested… but not on everything. That points it back to the modules themselves but finding so many do this is weird. One thing I might test before I go too far is putting in a steep high-pass filter before anything just to rule out any weird foldover distortion.

It would help us a lot getting it fixed if you can tell us which did you find. So, if you or any user reading this happens to find some of these plugins, please share them with us and we will have a look on it. Meanwhile, we will hunt them :mage: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Same problem for Titan

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I am really enjoying the Onyx! Great sound and feel :slight_smile:

4 Likes