Trigger Play in the hardware

So, I have the Mod Duo X sending midi to other gear, and with the edit window open in Chrome, I can hit the transport for “play” and that starts all my other sequencers. How do you get that transport control set up in the hardware? There must be something obvious I’m overlooking?

Just click on the and assign it to one of the buttons: MOD Web GUI User Guide - MOD Wiki

1 Like

That is easy!
I was looking for some plug-in that controlled the transport. . . .
Thanks!

3 Likes

Any help around how to output midi clock and MMC would be greatly appreciated.

I had a pedalboard and just sent the midi out to my Octatrack. The pedalboard automatically seemed to send midi clock (when play was on), and the OT would sync to this. However today, I just can’t get this to work. I’ve set up the play button to be triggered by a button on the Mod Duo, so I can turn it on and off, but I can’t seem to get clock or MMC to output from the Mod Duo X.

I added a midi sequencer into the pedalboard, and it just cycles on it’s own. The transport play button of the mod does not cause this sequencer to ‘start’ or ‘restart’ - I figured if I added a sequencer I could see how the transport control works, but I can’t see that it works at all.

Is there any documentation around syncing other gear to the Mod Duo?

Hi @S_Righteous,

There are different ways to achieve outputting MIDI clock, depending on what you want to achieve exactly.

To enable sending MIDI clock to ALL MIDI outputs
From the device menu of your Duo X, go to SYNC & MIDI, and enable the checkbox for SEND MIDI CLOCK.

To enable sending MIDI clock to a specific MIDI output
Install the x42 MIDI Clock plugin, place it in your pedalboard and set it to HOST SYNC. Now patch the output of the plugin to the specific MIDI output(s) that you want to send the clock to.

To enable sending MIDI Time Code (MTC)
Install the x42 MIDI Timecode plugin, place it in your pedalboard, set it to HOST SYNC. Patch the output of the plugin to the MIDI output(s) that you want to send MTC to.

By the way, in order to sync the sequencer to the host tempo, you will have to set it to HOST SYNC too (press the SYNC button on their user interface).

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

//Jesse

5 Likes

Thanks a bazillion. This is really helpful. I didn’t know which plug-ins to use.

For the record - the MTC one worked perfectly sending to my KeyStep Pro, but the Keystep hated midi clock and always doubled the BPM.

2 Likes

@S_Righteous, my pleasure!

As a little sidenote, it sounds like one of the 2 following situations is occuring:

1. you had SEND MIDI CLOCK enabled, as well as having the MIDI Clock plugin connected to the MIDI outputs. This causes the receiving device to receive the MIDI clock pulses twice.
  2. the keystep can potentially have multiple internal MIDI ports on 1 single USB port, and since it is receiving clock on all of them, it adds the clock messages together and doubles the BPM. This can be prevented by enabling seperate mode for the MIDI ports, and connecting the MIDI Clock plugin to only 1 of the ports.

//Jesse

3 Likes

I just retested and you are correct about why I was getting double bpms.
The confusing part in all this, is that without plug-ins, the transport can be set to a button on the Mod, but the option to send Midi Clock is not available in the browser editor - you have to go into the hardware. So now I have that set up, because I’m not sure if there is an advantage to using plug-ins here.

Thanks again for the information, now I can get back to building my massive pedalboard!

2 Likes

Another element which I realize was causing me confusion with my set up, is that I often leave everything plugged in for days while I’m working on stuff, even if I’m only working on it periodically.

When the MOD disconnects from the browser, something happens, that prevents the play transport from working correctly, even after re-connecting. I have to reboot the Mod to get the transport to work again - and that was definitely making me think my rig was set up wrong, which it wasn’t.