Unusual high CPU usage

Hi.

I noticed a strange CPU usage lately, much higher than usual, even on relatively simple pedalboards (a gain plugin, DS1 distorsion, GxCabinet, chorus and reverb).

I also tried the Whammy plugin, and when using that, even if alone, the CPU usage rockets to 100% for all qualities except lo-fi, making it unusable due to clicks.

Is it normal?

i’ve seen some strange things like that, but am not sure if it relates to a specific plugin. on a lot of my pedalboards which run normally with a safe CPU load (50-75%), the load spikes to 100% periodically and an xrun occurs. …maybe once every 5 minutes or so.

it’s annoying and i think it’s a new “feature” in the current system version, or maybe this one and the last one.

i don’t mean to hijack your thread, but perhaps the two issues are related?

for me, this would be a tough thing to get good observations about, since it’s intermittent and happens with various combinations of plugins.

anyone else seeing these sorts of things?

The DSP load is just a rough average. Is says nothing about standard deviation. So maybe this is an error from the “the map is not the terrain”-class.
Please provide a reference pedalboard (can you share it online and point a link to it?) and I will have a look at it.
Best regards
Jakob

Some prior discussion here: Release 1.6.0

this one does it:

https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/pedalboards/5cb8df0c2564d404bd8b3124

it sits around 60% CPU, but spikes to 100% intermittently, producing an xrun when that happens.

Pardon me, I don’t understand if you’re asking me or plutek to share the pedalboard

@plutek thank you for sharing your pedalboard. I installed a Duo with version 1.6.2.614 and the board you shared is constantly producing XRUNs. If I remove the BETA-plug-in, the DSP load is below 75% and it did not produce XRUNS for 15 minutes.
Please note that BETA plug-ins are not guarantied to meet the quality standard of normal plug-ins.

@Tarrasque73 On the same fresh Duo the Super Whammy runs at below 55% when set to HiFi. The plug-in is known to have a high DSP usage. But your case seems to be unusual.

thanks for checking it, @Jakob!

yes, this pedalboard produces xruns constantly at 128 frames. i’m curious if you tried it at 256 frames – at that setting, it shows the strange behaviour of being generally fine, but spiking to 100% load occasionally.

and, yes, i do understand that beta plugins aren’t guaranteed to be reliable! it just seems strange that a pedalboard produces those occasional 100% spikes, when it’s generally running in a more reasonable range.

perhaps i’ll build a test pedalboard with a similar DSP load at 256 frames, but with NO beta plugins, and see if it exhibits the same behaviour of strange intermittent load spikes.