USB MIDI between computer and MOD

Is it possible to transfer midi data on the USB A and B ports?

Hi Jay,

Check this page it might help: https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/MIDI_Implementation_Diagram

USB B is used to connect the MOD Duo as a device in your computer. It does send MIDI signals out, but it can not be used as an input for an external MIDI device.

USB A can be used to connect external MIDI devices and you can also use a USB hub to connect more than one device to the same port.

Hope it helps.

Leo,

2 Likes

thx for the prompt reply, leo.

USB B is used to connect the MOD Duo as a device in your computer. It does send MIDI signals out, but it can not be used as an input for an external MIDI device.

So does that mean that:

• the midi coming out from USB B cannot be used by a DAW?
  • and that it cannot receive midi?

USB A can be used to connect external MIDI devices and you can also use a USB hub to connect more than one device to the same port.

Does that mean that with a male-male USB cable I can establish a communication between a DAW and MOD? I’d like to sync them since the mod cannot store samples for subsequent playback.

Not sure if I understand exactly what you are trying to do… but I guess you want to send MIDI from and to your DAW into the MOD?
If that is the case, the easiest way for this right now is to use a usb-to-din midi converter.
Your DAW will see a MIDI device (the converter cable) and the MOD will receive and send data over the DIN port.

3 Likes

That’s the answer I was looking for. Thanks falk!

Since this is an old post, I am wondering perhaps if the Mod Duo X now has the capability to connect to a USB MIDI host (such as a Mac) via one of the two USB ports without requiring an additional usb-to-din converter? (I would post a new thread for this, but as a forum noob it appears that I am not yet permitted to start one.)

2 Likes

Yes, but not yet officially supported. see Audio Through USB - MOD Wiki for steps.
If you skip the “usb-audio-gadget” file and only do “usb-multi-gadget”, this should work fine. We already enabled such mode on Dwarf and had no reports of it being an issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response. The post you mentioned appears to be about USB audio, whereas I am looking to connect MIDI in/out to an external MIDI host via USB (rather than have the Mod Duo X be the MIDI hub). Using the DIN connectors is not the end of the world. It’s just sad to have to buy an adapter and create more cable clutter.

I don’t know if anyone makes a multi-hub routing device/program for MIDI, but that would be the best of all worlds; i.e. where the MOD unit can see all of the MIDI ports connected to the Mac/PC and vice-versa. This can probably be accomplished by running a p2p client on both the MOD and the Mac/PC and having them sort out port details over ssh in order to forward MIDI messages to each other.

I’ll see how things go with with the DIN adapter for now, and if I’m running into issues later, where I need the MOD to be a MIDI hub (in addition to the Mac/PC), I’ll give the p2p multi-hub thing a shot.

it is audio and midi, basically switching from a single usb component to a composite device.
As I said, if you dont do the “touch …audio…” step, it will activate the MIDI option only, which is more stable and well tested.
With this active, the Duo X will become a USB MIDI device (while also still have the network component active)

2 Likes

I raised your trust levels, so now you should be able to post freely.

What you are describing is far more complex than I’ve ever ventured into midi.

However, that being said, I’m wondering if maybe an RK-006 might help solve your problem. I use it in my set up to route midi everywhere, and there is an app with a lot of features for midi routing/processing/filter etc… it also has 2 midi inputs (all 3.5 mm), 10 outputs (all 3.5mm), and USB I/O

It’s not exactly cheap, but it’s the size of a credit card, and allows me to use cheap aux cords for midi. You can also snag a pack of their TRS-DIN midi adaptors.

2 Likes