Ways to control the Duo on stage

I haven’t been able to follow the forum for quite a bit, so I’m surely behind the current capabilities of the Duo.

What are the currente supported ways of controlling the Duo in a live situation (this means: without using your hands and without having to crouch, juggle with menus and knobs and such).

For exemple, can I connect generic a MIDI pedalboard and swithc on/off plugins and change preset, or scenes, or patches, or how it has been decided to call them?

You can use MIDI programs to change pedalboards within a bank.
You have to load the bank first (via controller menus), but note that the Duo remembers the last loaded bank and pedalboard.

For plugin parameters, you can use the Duo itself. Each foot can control 1 parameter, and knobs can have up to 99 assignments (click down to change current assignment).
You can also use MIDI CC.

For lists (either plugin parameter list, plugin presets or the new pedalboard presets in v1.3) you can map them to the Duo foot and knobs too.
Not possible to assign them to MIDI CC yet.

Hello, i´m interested in controlling the Duo with Touch OSC from my Bass ( as you can see here :slight_smile:

is it possible to address all plugin parameters with Midi cc and Midi note numbers generated bei Touch OSC ?

2 Likes

I have gotten using the 12-step to change the pedalboards figured out (which is awesome). I am still learning more on how to use MIDI on my Duo.
I am wondering, is it possible to use the “MIDI note to CC” to be able to turn on/off pedals like an overdrive or a switch box? I have yet to fully figure out the MIDI learn option.

Never mind! I found the “hack” way of getting it to work.

while this isn’t (yet?) an “official” supported method, you could at the worst manually install my osc2midi app through ssh and connect it to the mod-host. The app allows arbitrary mappings from osc to midi (so yes it works with touchosc or any other OSC client). So its very possible, but at this time not very polished or officially supported. Once the OSC gets converted to midi it would be just like having a midi device connected directly to the duo.

The other limitation is that the only ways to get a network connection to the duo at this time is through usb connection or bluetooth. So your phone will have to be connected one of those ways.

I know @falktx played with OSC2MIDI on the mod briefly and verified it works. I am not sure what is still needed to make support official. Probably just more time.

so i understand that is not possible to simply midi learn on-off switches or single plugin parameter and create midi bindings with faders and switches on Touch OSC ( connected to an Irig midi , outputting midi cc and notes ) ?

Or am i missing something …?

ok, I didn’t know what the Irig does. If it does the conversion from osc to midi then ya you can do that today without any manual stuff. Sorry for the noise.

My idea is basically making the mod have a built in Irig midi as you describe it.

would there be an advantage in using osc with your app instead of plain midi inside the Duo ? higher resolution or more of what ?

i used Touch osc with local network and Osculator on my mac book before the app went midi , but i found it quite complicated , so good old midi seems ok for remote controlling

since my app just converts to midi, there’s no advantage. Except maybe less stuff to carry to the gig. But I’d go with whats already working first.

the biggest problem with osc2midi is not the software itself, but that we need a way to make phones access with bluetooth network without having to disable wifi and mobile data.
on a few phones we tried, we always had to disable those to be able to connect to the Duo’s bluetooth network.
we need to find a solution for this first.

gotcha. thanks for the update!

IMO the only way it will work is if we figure out wifi and have the duo connect to the same network as the phone.

Wifi is not as straight forward as it seems.
There’s 2 options regarding it. Either the MOD provides the wifi network, or it connects to an existing one.

If the MOD provides the network, then a device connected to it loses its main internet connection.

On the other hand, making MOD connect to a wireless network would involve typing password or doing authentication on the MOD’s side.
The device display, knobs and foots are not suitable for text entry, so it would have to be done in the web interface.
So first you’d still need to connect via USB or bluetooth, to make the MOD connect to a wifi.
Some networks require you to accept cookies (usually public ones), which at the moment I have no idea how to handle…

This sounds like the best solution to me, I don’t think that’s really outrageous to have you configure the network when connected through USB. Many phones will do wifi-tethering so you could actually have the mod connect directly to it. I wasn’t trying to suggest wifi is easy, but I just think its going to be the best way.

Wifi will definitely have the most problems with customers with poor network setups, routers with bugs, etc. I’ve heard thats the #1 cause of customer service calls at apple, at my work we’ve seen much the same. There’s just no getting around that, you just have to be ready to help people.

Do you mean captive portals, like at libraries or universities where you have to agree to terms of service when you connect? That will be difficult. I don’t know if its even possible without a browser… I guess if somehow you could forward it through the USB connection when the user is setting up the mod… Anyhow, I imagine you still have a lot to do before you get to that.

1 Like

Just remembered, regarding wifi, if MOD connects to a wifi network we need a different way of accessing the web interface.
We need to know the IP assigned by the router to the MOD.
Or maybe modduo.local still works, I’m not sure.

After that there’s also the question of firewall possibly blocking the connection.

the duo should show that somewhere in the settings menu. Thats relatively easy. Then you could also have multiple mods connected to 1 computer. I’m not sure thats possible with modduo.local

yep, thats going to just be a customer service thing. There are so many ways to set up a network and so much networking hardware/software has subtle bugs that interact with other devices in weird ways. You guys will have the additional complexity that people will be bringing thier own usb wifi adapters. You just test as much as you can before release and be ready to support/update after. Make sure your device is as compliant as possible to the 802.11 standards, that helps. Its a big undertaking, but once its working I think its a huge feature.

Hi, I’m quite new to compiling and I’m unable to do it on my Mac…
On “make” command I receive this error: “Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64”

Somebody can help me?
Thanks!

Hi Guido:

You’ll need to cross-compile osc2midi for it to work on the duo, since it uses an ARM processor rather than an x86 processor used by most laptops and desktops. If you aren’t familiar with compiling, this is a difficult place to start. Perhaps I can do it sometime and send some binaries out. Even with that, there’s some work to be done to make it control the plugins.

Thank ssj71, I suspected it was a different architecture.
So I tried cross-compiling it on Doccker’s Mod Plugin Builder environment, with needed libraries. I had my executable: it could be the right one?
Now can I simply put it in the appropriate location (where?) on the Duo via SSH and add it on rc.local?

Thats impressive! Good job!
Thats right. You can put it anywhere. Home directory is fine, or /usr/local/bin if you want.

I believe you will also need to set up a routing of midi from OSC2MIDI to the mod host in your rc.local.