Ways to control the Duo on stage

Thanks for encouraging me!
…unfortunately it’s non so simple as I hoped: I can’t find rc.local file in /etc/ neither create it (“Read-only file system”) :thinking:
Have you some suggestion?

not really :\ you can remount the file system as writeable or maybe there is another method for startup scripts. Hopefully somebody else can chime in. To get started you could just run it in SSH with nohup to try it out.

1 Like

Thanks ssj71,

Maybe @falkTX can tell me something more about his tests with osc2midi?
:roll_eyes:

Hi, my live use case has been pretty basic up until now.
A few different sounds all on a single board for each gig (I play bass).
I’ve taken to using an audio to midi converter and feeding the sounds into the mod. I can toggle the sounds I need on a per board basis ok, a mix of pre-sets and using the actuators directly.

What I’ve not been able to do is figure out an easy/quick way to switch between boards in a bank. I saw the navigate via footswitches option but can’t work out how to get in or out of that mode. Nothing I could find in the user guide, manual or wiki.

What am I missing?

The navigate by footswitches option only works when the web interface is not connected. To activate it, load a pedalboard from within the bank from directly on your Duo. Then you should be able to navigate boards within that bank via footswitches. Oh, and IIRC you can’t have anything mapped to the footswitches because that would override the navigation.

Also - any my memory is hazy here - I think you can change pedalboards via Program Change messages, so PC 0 would select the first board, PC 1 the second, etc.

1 Like

Hi ssj71, I haven’t find out the solution for using OSC2MIDI on the duo: when I try to open in the Duo the binary I compiled in Doccker’s Mod Plugin Builder environment it gives me an error. Could you maybe help me to compile it in the proper way?

I will be happy to, but it will take me a little while. I haven’t had as much time for development and I installed a new version of linux last year and so I need to set up the MOD development environment again. Once I have that I think I could get a binary to you. Sorry it will probably be a few weeks at least.

I’ll really appreciate it, thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ZIE7yWGZbD2vfhCWq9XcB3b4EtzGPeI/view?usp=sharing

give that a whirl and let me know how it goes. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the patience.

1 Like

Thanks lots for your job sjj71, I really appreciate :grinning::grinning:.
Unfortunately trying opening your file on the duo gives me this error:

Error opening map file! /usr/local/share/osc2midi/default.omm

I didn’t find what this means, any tip to help me?

For lists (either plugin parameter list, plugin presets or the new pedalboard presets in v1.3) you can map them to the Duo foot and knobs too.
Not possible to assign them to MIDI CC yet.

Has been anything done in this regard? Is now possible to assign a pedalboard preset list to MIDI CC or PC?

That would be of great interest for me.

@Tarrasque73 and community,

if you follow the instructions in the MOD_Web_GUI_User_Guide#Organizing_Banks part of the wiki, you can choose to use PC messages in a Bank list instead of using the two switches on the Mod Duo…
So you can directly change your pedalboards via Program Change message.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

1 Like

I know that, but it’s still some sort of workaround in my opinion.

From what I remember, changing a pedalboard will cause a short muting of the output (inevitable, I know).

This is the way I always worked with rackmount multieffect processors. One sound, one patch, and try to switch while you aren’t playing.

I was hoping the Duo could offer something more sophisticated. If it allowed to assign a pedalboard preset to a footswitch (or, better, a CC message) I could move to a “one song, one pedalboard” approach and switch to all the different clean, distorted, solo, whatever sounds I need with no interruption.

And as an added bonus, it would help drastically reduce the number of pedalboards in my Duo. :wink:

Hello @Tarrasque73,

I would suggest you to make a pedalboard with all used plugins and use pedalboard presets according to the wiki here
In the section about saving and loading pedalboard presets
you can assign such presets to a switch on the Mod Duo.
I am changing reverb presets and wah on/off state at once within one pedalboard using different presets.
With this I mean the presets button in the GUI that I assign to a switch or the knob.

I know, this costs time upfront to prepare for a number of songs looking for the right plugin presets to be chosen for a particular song, but it should be no problem improving it.

Maybe you can simplify your pedalboards first, meaning following:

1. Giving abbreviated names for song presets like
    SongA_Intro, SongA_V1, SongA_Ch1, SongA_Solo
    for Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo
    2.Reducing your plugins of the same type ( gates, distortions, compressors, amps, time based effects and reverbs) to a list of preferred plugins and presets.
  2. Creating pedalboards for one or more songs and creating pedalboard presets like under 1 where you decide which plugin ( and plugin preset) is turned on.
  3. Choosing a knob or switch on your Mod Duo for your pedalboard presets to choose from.

Hint: If I just switch between verse and chorus I I like to name both presets as follows:
SongA->Chorus (for the verse)
SongA->Verse (for the chorus)
to show what’s next.

2 Likes

The real problem is that a list assigned to a footswich will, if I am not mistaken, cycle with each click, while I need “random” access.

I often have 3 or more sounds per song, and they are not used in sequence.I have to be able to jump back and forth to one sound to the other.

Hi @Tarrasque73,

I know your concern, and if the overall form of the song will be the same like
Intro, V1, C1;Interlude,V2, C2, Solo, Pre-Chorus, V3, V1,
there is only the next pedalboard preset available and unfortunately you have to make an entry in the list for each part…

How can we fix this is the question because sometimes this exact order may be too unflexible.
You want to make music, not fiddling with presets if it’s just one song or a numberof songs with one pedalboard.

I hope someone will chime in here with a proposal for better management…

I think the only viable solution to be able to select entries from a list by using PC or CC messages as “item index” exactly as is now possible for pedalboards in a bank.

This way you could use any of the available commercial MIDI pedalboards to either switch pedalboards in a bank or presets in a pedalboards, to fit your liking.

If you could also choose the MIDI channel for each of these control methods you could even use both at the same time!

But maybe this would be a little overkill. I figure that if someone used my approach to use one pedalboard per song, then he could be content with changing pedalboard with the MOD buttons.

Ah sorry I should have forseen that. You need some mapping files for osc2midi to run, you can create your own and pass it in as a parameter with the -m flag. If one is not specified it looks for it in the path reported in the error. You can copy this folder https://github.com/ssj71/OSC2MIDI/tree/master/maps to that directory and it should start with the default map.

Ok, sorry, now my problem is that i can’t create the folder /usr/local/share/osc2midi/ because I don’t have permissions (filesystem is read-only and i can’t change permissions with chmod). Is there a solution you can suggest?

~/.config/osc2midi/
Will also work. Copy them there.