Wifi connectivity

Or a config file to upload via ssh in the worst case. At least as a first approach :slight_smile:

Just go with a free software approved usb device
https://www.fsf.org/news/tehnoetic-wireless-usb-adapter-now-fsf-certified-to-respect-your-freedom

1 Like

This one should obviously be supported, but if a handful of others was (maybe with a smaller form factor), that would be great !

Quick question to @falkTX: do these proprietary firmware need to by built especially for a give architecture ?

No, firmware works as-is. it is something that the chip itself runs, so it already pre-compiled for the needed architecture inside.

Yes, that makes sense of course.

In that case, maybe there would be a way to allow the user to ssh-copy whatever firmware they need into the mod. That would take the burden away from you guys (I mean, outside of that very limited subset that you might agree to maintain on your side). Actually, all that we would be needed on the community side would be a simple tool to build the particular kernel module that we would need for a particular chipset and a simple procedure to install it inside the mod along with whatever firmware is required.

Even if the MOD kernel supports devices like this out of the box, presumably modifications to the web UI are still required in order to configure the device with the right SSID / WPA passphrase etc., right?

But even before that, as @Azza suggested, maybe there is an ugly hack involving ssh which can already work as a first step? Has anyone managed this?

I think proper wifi support might be the only way to solve the Web UI over bluetooth very slow issue any time soon …

1 Like

Don’t suppose any of the MOD team have had any more thoughts on this? IMHO this lack of decent connectivity with phones / tablets is one of the biggest weaknesses of the existing devices, and it would be awesome if at least the Dwarf could solve it. Pedals with mobile device connectivity are becoming increasingly common, and it feels like this risks being a missed opportunity assuming that it’s not too hard to address (either via wifi or bluetooth).

2 Likes

It is technically possible for sure, but not something that is going to be officially supported.
WiFi is an issue in terms of realtime audio, because to be honest most WiFi dongles are pretty shitty in terms of firmware, they can even lockup the entire kernel in some situations.

That aside, some outside/non-official work could be done for it, perhaps as a package to install somehow.
Is there some existing webserver kinda thing that can talk to wpa_client or wireless-tools on the backend or something that?

1 Like

Another idea for a workaround: Use an USB Ethernet adapter to connect the MOD device to either an existing network infrastructure, directly to another peer or a small WiFi access point or router. The last option could be used to either create a hot spot to join or for joining an existing WiFi.

I guess that it will require some minor tweaks on the console to work.

Just did some experiments here, and it is indeed technically possible…

ping timing:

$ ping 192.168.1.191
PING 192.168.1.191 (192.168.1.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.191: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=3.04 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.191: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.22 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.191: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=3.32 ms

status inside device:

[root@modduox ~]# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:75 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:75 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:3892 (3.8 KiB)  TX bytes:3892 (3.8 KiB)

usb0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr F6:7C:0B:4A:AA:97  
          inet addr:192.168.51.1  Bcast:192.168.51.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2356 errors:0 dropped:45 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1608 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:167522 (163.5 KiB)  TX bytes:357830 (349.4 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr ***********
          inet addr:192.168.1.191  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2670 errors:0 dropped:296 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5846 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:267092 (260.8 KiB)  TX bytes:7917217 (7.5 MiB)

[root@modduox ~]# iwconfig 
gre0      no wireless extensions.

usb0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"**********"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:06:91:64:12:A0   
          Bit Rate=39 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=40/70  Signal level=-70 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:10  Invalid misc:37   Missed beacon:0

tunl0     no wireless extensions.

gretap0   no wireless extensions.

[root@modduox ~]# dmesg | tail
[  990.480647] systemd[1]: Starting OpenSSH server daemon...
[  990.486105] systemd[1]: Started OpenSSH server daemon.
[  996.656793] wlan0: authenticate with 00:06:91:64:12:a0
[  996.697203] wlan0: send auth to 00:06:91:64:12:a0 (try 1/3)
[  996.698711] wlan0: authenticated
[  996.698863] wlan0: associate with 00:06:91:64:12:a0 (try 1/3)
[  996.702456] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:06:91:64:12:a0 (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=3)
[  996.708960] wlan0: associated
[ 1035.798090] MOD Devices: USB Gadget disconnected
[ 1209.446141] g_ether gadget: high-speed config #1: CDC Ethernet (ECM)

We have only a couple of domains hardcoded (better said, an allow-list) in the cloud, so the new local IP is not on the list and thus cannot communicate with the cloud.
But at least all other stuff works as usual, it is possible to bring up the Web GUI.

1 Like

Nice! Mind sharing how you set that up? Looks like that was an unencrypted network? Presumably using WPA would need wpa-supplicant or similar and would be more complicated.

If you mean permanently hang the kernel, yes that is obviously a worry :wink: However if you just mean it could break realtime and occasionally cause a few ms of latency then that’s not such a big issue because IMHO the main use case for this is tweaking pedal boards while not playing (e.g. during rehearsals or soundchecks). Altering pedalboards mid-performance seems like a really bad idea to me.

It needs some kernel tweaks, so not something regular users can do. Then a few extra software installed and also some firmware.
I used wpa-supplicant for connecting to a WPA2 protected network.

I mean that indeed yes. Though at least here testing with a usb wifi stick that was often problematic, I did not experience any hangs.

Something like this?

Something like that yes. Though that project does not seem the best fit, plus unmaintained now.

We spoke in the team about this just now, we will add wifi support in the kernel and CLI tools to manage it.
But only if it does not affect the rest of the system.
So we can have this feature first for the few that know how to manage through SSH, and then we will see from there what is needed, how well or bad it works and all that.
The changes to the kernel config are minimal, so I think it should be fine.
Coming as experimental/advanced feature in v1.10 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

One very, very useful case for on board WIFI is the cconnectivity to Ableton Link.
The T1 from Torso Electronics is offering that: torsoelectronics.com/product/t-1
Maybe they are willing to share their experience.
I would love that as a strech goal for the Dwarf. ++++

That’s awesome news, thank you so much!! I will definitely be happy to be one of the first testers of the CLI tools. Perhaps you could even get the community involved in helping to develop a web UI for it too? I’m sure I’m not the only Linux developer in your community …

2 Likes

Just forwarding some great news from @falkTX to this thread - WiFi is working on the Dwarf now too!

1 Like

ah right, this topic exists too.
was trying to find the best one before.

worth linking to the instructions that will be working for 1.10

1 Like

When is 1.10 going to be out?

when it is ready. I mean… software wise it is ready, we are just doing the final details on the cloud infrastructure for MOD Labs.

3 Likes