Would love to see a Faux Ebow plugin

Here’s an idea for a new plug-in: An Ebow emulator!

I know that would be a tall order because the Ebow device itself is predicated on a very specific physical action (i.e. a light beam exciting a touchless string vibration) as opposed to the voltage-based effects of stomp boxes, but I’m wondering whether that could be at least roughly approximated through some type of combination of, say, ducker/attenuation of the initial attack followed by an organic sounding vibrato, and maybe overlaid with something that produces a sweet, singing sustain (?).

I tried to build my own Dwarf pedalboard harnessing the available slow gear and vibrato plug-ins but without much success, so maybe a more bespoke approach would be required.

In any event, if any of the developers were able to come up with an ersatz Ebow that was at least half-way realistic, I’d gladly pay extra for it, as I’d love to have that effect in my arsenal. I tried using the actual Ebow device itself previously, but I found that it was way too tricky to deploy on bass, which obviously has different string spacing than guitar, which the device defaults to.

Just an idea - hoping others might be interesed in this also.

Cheers
Frank in Vancouver

Have you tried the infamous Stuck plugin?

2 Likes

Thanks Gianfranco - haven’t tried that yet, but certainly will! Is the idea to maybe use this in conjunction with a volume pedal to get the non-articulated effect? I’ll have to give that a try.

Thanks again for the awesome tools!

Cheers
Frank

1 Like

Yes. Something in that line. Depends on what exactly you’d want to achieve.

Note that there are two versions, a stacking and a non-stacking one :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Gianfranco! Based on your recommendation, I plugged both of the Stuck plugins into the pedalboard I’m working on now, and they’re great! On the initial “stuck on”, my reaction was that the drone was very monotone, but then I instantly got the idea to run the output from that through several different delays and reverbs and things, and it ended up sounding terrific! This will be a fun tool to improvise over top of.

Loving MOD, loving the Dwarf!

Cheers
Frank

2 Likes

Can of course add modulation by applying some cv-lfo’s to some plugin parameters.
Make things move around some more :wink:

2 Likes

Hey thanks Dreamer - that’s definitely an interesting suggestion! I’m totally new to CV devices. In my igorance, I assumed those are only usable with synths. Are you saying I can connect a CV to a plug-in through which I’m processing my bass?

Cheers
Frank

2 Likes

You can read up on the cv modules and how to use them on the wiki: CV Tutorial - MOD Wiki

Only the DuoX has physical CV input and output, but internally all the MOD gear can use these cv modulators to connect to plugin parameters and automate them.

2 Likes

Wow, I keep learning something new with this thing - thanks Dreamer! I’m enjoying the Wiki as we speak. Cheers, Frank

3 Likes