X42 midi generator

I’m interested in using the x42 midi generator to play back midi files but unable to figure out how to load a sequence up. Searches on this subject have come up dry. Do I have the wrong idea about this plugin? I see the preexisting sequences such as “The Cat” but not seeing a means of loading sequences outside of the default list. Clues appreciated.

I’m not aware of any plugins that can read or load MIDI files. As far as I know the filesystem side of the architecture (disk space for plugins to use freely) has never been fleshed out. If you’re technical and patient you could potentially fork the plugin you reference and replace with your own MIDI sequences for the Presets.

Otherwise, an option is to use a computer or other external device that can process your MIDI files and generate the series of MIDI events and feed those into the Duo MIDI ports.

as far as i understand the sequences are built into the plugin.
Would be awfully nice to insert sequences by user without altering the plugin itself!
I reckon this shouldn’t be too hard.

I appreciate the response. I was hoping to avoid dragging a laptop around to make use of the internal synths. My coding skills have been in disuse for a while now and I never got much beyond “Hello World!” with C. I noticed the radio button on the plugin had a user option when selecting sequences so I assume Mr. Gareus had that in mind.

Another question would be if the sequences aren’t embedded in the code then where would the files be stored? Would the Mod Duo accommodate file storage?

This functionality would definitely be handy but life issues prevent me from pursuing this. If forced to use an external computer I have another sound module hanging around that would be better suited for what I would like to do.

I’m in the same boat - I have a bunch of MIDI drum and bass loops I’d like to be able to load into a generator and don’t want to rely on external hardware.

As far as file storage on the Duo, to my knowledge the team has not yet worked out the details of how plugins would be able to interact with the file system. That is - where do files get stored, how much space can a plugin use, when can disk I/O occur, etc. It would be a pleasant surprise if anything changes significantly with the plugins and support for uploading, but it isn’t clear where that is on the roadmap (which may be my own lack of understanding)

Taking a step back, the Duo is just a Linux computer with some non-standard ports. More exotic solutions could look like copying over your own tools and files onto the Duo. As a very hypothetical example: You have (write) a Python script that connects to JACK MIDI input/output and then sequences a MIDI file when a MIDI event is received. So now we have our audio / MIDI playback utopia working, but wait… how do I start that tool when I’m at the gig? Guess I’ll need my laptop… (feature request added: Run Commands option)

I read that other post first. We could probably use the midi generator today with just a little bash script. see my reply in Run Commands option

EDIT: just looked the midi generator doesn’t use files, so it will take 1st someone writing a plugin that reads midi files and plays them (or audio files or IRs or whatever). We could probably try convo.lv2 first.

In my situation I meet infrequently with a small group of friends/musicians for unstructured jam sessions. A midi file player would help to compensate for the lack of a second guitar or keyboard player and otherwise add some variety and/or weirdness to the occasion, all while remaining friends with a bad back. :slightly_smiling_face:

Read through the “run commands options” thread and seems you all have addressed the issues involved. I’ve used Linux for a while now and it would be desirable to contribute back in some small way. My professional experience is with relational databases and user interfaces but not since 2001, then Perl and python on Linux for personal use but infrequently these days. I’m familiar with the common control structures but what I don’t have experience with is memory management involved with the C language, nor directly manipulating hardware.

brummer suggests guitarix livelooper load/saves files to already. Is this still an issue?

For my needs I would prefer to create sequences in my DAW then drop the files in a designated subdirectory and the plugin then create a list from the files in the subdirectory that can be scrolled through and selected with one of the knobs as the midi generator now does.

I’ll take some time to look through the documentation for developing plugins and see what sort of learning curve I would be looking at.

1 Like

Does the MOD meanwhile support LV2 Atom messages officially, so that file-paths can be passed? falktx and me had a working prototype over a year ago but no GUI. I did not follow up. Anyway for the MOD some extra work will be needed to upload files first, then index them locally.

PS. Yes, the midi-generator is for testing only – say you’re a plugin developer and work on a synth.
It only offers built-in sequences and is not a general purpose midi-player intended for end-users. – It’s a bit like “CEO” only for MIDI.

2 Likes

No, that’s the show stopper that I wasn’t aware of. After some talk with falktx the atom-send branch needs to finalize the JS atom representation and make it work from UI->host/dsp (currently only the other way is implemented). And it has to get merged of course.

Well the idea here was that we could just scp files on as a stopgap, but that still won’t work without atom support. :frowning:

Is there any news regarding “does the MOD now officially support LV2 Atom messages”?

1 Like

Yes, this has been fully supported since v1.10
It is how the Notes “plugin” works.

4 Likes