Advanced knob control parameter - sub-divisions

For some parameters it would be really useful if you could set a number of ‘detente’ positions for a particular knob. For example, a parameter which goes from -100 to +100 in .01 increments, it would be very useful to set a number of specific positions on that spectrum you prefer, and when you move the knob, it would jump to each sub-division, skipping the values in-between.

In some cases a parameter might have a few ‘sweet spots’, and you want to be able to switch between them.

Essentially limiting the knob to a set number of values which can be switched through.

I have not seen a way to replicate this with CV modules.

6 Likes

A bit of a nasty workaround, but what about a MIDI sequencer followed by a MIDI Note to CC converting and connected to the Virtual MIDI loopback port, then assigning that CC to whatever parameter you want to do this.

Anyway, I believe that this is also possible somehow with CV, I would just need to experiment a little bit or maybe @jesse has the answer on the tip of his fingers (as quite often!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think any work around would be circumventing the knob feedback in the display.

Ideally, if you had three settings of 0, 35 and 100, those are the only values you would see when the knob is turned, and it may need to ‘catch and jump’ to get to each setting. A super bonus feature would be the ability to set a glide time between them!

3 Likes

I was working on a complex pedalboard today and decided to knuckle down and make this feature using CV. I’ve included a screenshot of the section which does the magic - it currently resides in a much larger pedalboard, so I didn’t attach that.

When i’m performing with the MOD Duo X, I want easy and friendly controls. so with this set up, I can have knob that when all the way left, sends zero, when all the way right sends 10, and anywhere in the middle sends a static number of my choosing - in this case 5.

When I attach the results of these controls to something like a delay feedback, I can then have zero feedback, some fun amount of feedback, and a max amount of feedback (obviously it doesn’t have to be 10, you can use a gate to control that amount as well).

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

8 Likes

Although this method works for me - the downside is of course that the display for the knob parameter is still a zero to 100 type thing. I just know (trust) that if it’s not zero or 10, it’s the preset value in the middle.

If this were a feature - my request would be that where you set the max and min under advanced settings for a knob, that you could set A, B, C, D ranges and name them to show in the display, in the same way that ON and OFF will show for a knob that is set to control On/Off.

1 Like

yes… for this and other applications! :wink:

i’ve got a number of instances in which i’m controlling various plugins from an initial Control to CV (modified by chains of various CV plugins to accomplish whatever). the CV values displayed at the device knob or button are often counterintuitive; i just have to get used to what they actually mean over time.

some mechanism for customizing the value display would be really helpful. the tricky thing is that this sort of CV use can be controlling literally anything, so i wonder how we design a customization feature to functionally hit most use cases.

:thinking:

your idea of ranges is an excellent one, and quite flexible. another useful option might be the ability to set the displayed minimum and maximum values, along with the type of unit.

pues yo en mi mod duo lo que e hecho para un delay, es ir guardando desde 0.60 ms a 1,2 s, en pasos de 0,05 ms, o sea 0,60 0,65 etc…hasta los 1,2 s , luego lo asignas a una perrilla y puedes ver como van cambiando los valores en la pantalla. es algo un poco tedioso de hacer pero funciona…

1 Like

you’re talking about plugin presets, right? sure… this is a great solution if we only have one purpose for a particular plugin - although it will still show “default” as well as our desired values. unfortunately, there isn’t currently a way to manage more than one set of presets, so it doesn’t help if we want various different setups for one plugin.

in the past, i have gone into the files on the MOD unit and made various versions of saved presets. then i swap each version of the file into place, as needed per pedalboard. but that is a high-maintenance proposition! :stuck_out_tongue:

p.s. please write in english on the forum, if at all possible! :slight_smile: :wink:

I do use plug-in presets sometimes, but these are stored with the plug-in, so in a new pedalboard, those labels and values may not work, but you don’t want to edit them for fear of breaking some previously built pedalboard.

1 Like

yes… this points again to the need for a sane preset management system - one which allows multiple sets of presets, and which can be set to recall archived preset setups on a per-pedalboard basis.

(yes… sorry… i realize this doesn’t help solve the question now! :frowning: )