I would like to ask for a feature to be able to assign CV ports to list controls. Currently we can assign CVs to toggle things on/off but not to list selection controls like the preset selection list or “channel” list for the stereo switch plugin etc.
This could be defined in a few different ways the best of the options I suggested below IMO is the first option:
1) Option 1 the 0-10V range of a CV is event split into N list select items
So if we have a list select with 4 items and assign a CV to it, we will select:
- item 0 : if CV voltage is in range [0,2.5)
- item 1 : if CV voltage is in range [2.5, 5)
- item 2 : if CV voltage is in range [5, 7.5)
- item 3 : if CV voltage is in range 7.5 or above
This means any CV can be used to select any list items though it doesn’t behave quite like existing rotary knobs which always go through the items one at a time, instead it jumps to whatever selection the CV is at. You may need to add some smoothing to this as well.
2) Option 2 edge triggered up/down list
- CV at 5V generally, means no change in list selection.
- If the CV goes above 7.5V treat that as an up list selection like the clockwise direction of the rotary knobs
- If the CV goes below 2.5V treat that as a down list selection like the anti-clockwise direction of the rotary knobs
The idea of this is that it is more consistent with rotary knobs, however it isnt great for assigning to multiple devices generally as they can get out of sync.
Some background on one use case for this. I was trying to use two stereo switch plugins at the same time so I can redirect the input+output of a stereo looper plugin at the same time to switch between recording/playback at the start of the audio chain to the end of the audio chain.
This doesn’t work as I cant assign the “channel” selection list from multiple things to a single knob. So I thought maybe I can use a CV to do this as it allows multiple assignment already.
I posted about this briefly in the multi assignment feature request, but this is a different request to allow CV to be assigned to list items: