Audio file player

I have now played around with the player again. Briefly about my setup: My idea for using it is to put backing tracks in there that I can then play along to. So at the moment I have built a pedalboard where I put the player on knob 2 and the global player on knob 1. With snapshot 1 and 2 I have selected audio file A and in snapshot 3 audio file B.

I have the following questions, respectively suggestions if the questions are answered with no.

1. is it possible to put the start/stop of the global player on one of the middle buttons (not the rotary and not the foot buttons)?

2. the audiofile is always played at the point where the snapshot was left with the file. Is there a possibility that the file is played from the beginning when it is called again? Important: At the moment the file continues to play when you change the snapshot, but the same file is active. This should remain in any case, otherwise it becomes virtually impossible to use the player as a backing track. Maybe you could implement a back to start button.

1. Since I am mainly in navigation mode to switch between the snapshot back and forth I would be interested in whether there is also in navigation mode a way to turn the global player on and off.

Yes, with v1.10 onward you can have toggle-style parameters on everything :slight_smile:

As I said, I will be adding a mode for this soon. But one way you can have this working already is to quickly stop and start transport again, which will make it start from the beginning.
Note that plugins cannot change host transport state, so when plugins are used in host-sync mode (which is always-on for audiofile, for now), it has no way to stop and rewind or anything, it just follows global tempo/transport state.

Not sure if I fully understand, but playback start/stop is on the device menus. Easy to get there and a single click changes transport play/pause.

Quick star/stop is a good tip. Great.

So you mentioned, that the playback start/stop is on the device menues. But where? Iā€™ve searched a lot an didnā€™t find it anywhere, not even in the setting. Can you give me a hint where to search on my dwarf?

1 Like

Hi,
I have some problems to understand how the audio file player works.
My goal is to set some pedalboards (one by song) Each pedalboard would have a specific backing track I could start with a footswitch actuator
Actually, I cannot implement that configuration
Do I miss something?

1 Like

All that is needed is to assign the play start/stop to an actuator on each pedalboard, and have a different file loaded per pedalboard too.

To be honest, I do not see why this should be complicated, so I guess I am missing something tooā€¦

1 Like

@in5y372,

You can find the start/stop toggle in the tempo tool on the Dwarf:

1. press footswitch A+B simultaneously to enter tool mode
  2. press footswitch A until you reach the tempo tool (or set up the tempo tool as the default tool to launch in the device settings)
  3. the start/stop control should be on footswitch B now

//Jesse

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thougt and thatā€™s what I did but I get some issues.
Sometimes I have to reselect the file, sometimes no sound when start play and not 2 times the same behaviorā€¦
I am sorry but it is so strange that I canā€™t even explain clearly
Iā€™ll keep trying

I sorta feel strongly about adding a volume control. Several (if not, all) of the fx and sound generator plugins have a volume control on them. Iā€™m not sure why you wouldnā€™t add a volume control to this particular plugin. Like, if your thought process is ā€œwell, you can always just add a gain or mixer plugin after it,ā€ then that logic would be the same for any of the synth plugins or even fx plugins (ā€œIf that fuzz is too loud, stick a plugin after itā€). Or is there another reason Iā€™m missing?

1 Like

So I changed my mind and added a quick volume control.
Plus the host-sync being disabled by default, so it is less confusing to use.
Reworked the way the ā€œplayheadā€ and waveform was done.
I will push this to the store later on, want to do the same treatment to the MIDI file plugin now.

I leave you with a sneak peek :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Doing some tests with MIDI files, but have to stop for now.
tbh I am not convinced, not sure how useful it actually isā€¦

on a simple midi file, this is the result:

But other MIDI files that are more complex easily become too messy/full that is not suitable on such small area.

EDIT: more regular MIDI files have issues too.

so I am thinking of skipping the preview stuff for MIDI files altogether.
what do you think?

6 Likes

The preview stuff looks pretty neat! I think also the midi previews. Neat, but not really practical thoughā€¦
In general Iā€™d like to ask how much cpu these previews consume (especially as a DUO user :sweat_smile: ) and therefore, if it is really neededā€¦

It is not stricly needed no, but the cpu consumption is pretty much on the browser side, not the plugin/device side.

1 Like

And why not just a progression bar?

IMO midi preview will be appreciated but add a button to seprarate channels and/or bars in order to zoom.

I am going with just a progress bar. no need for more fancy stuff for now.

so audiofile and midifile will be like this:

A full MIDI event viewer would be cool for sure, but that seems best in another plugin.
I already had these plugins working before (mostly), the MOD ā€œportā€ helped to find a few issues and fix them. Then a few small extras that make it a bit nicer.
I am happy with the result.

To be published to the store soon (still as beta, there is at least 2 issues that have been reported here that I want to fix first).

9 Likes

Great job thank youā€¦I canā€™t wait to try
Did you test the .ogg file issue I mentioned earlier?

I have the file downloaded, it is one of the issues still to fix.
Didnt try to play it, but assume the issue to be there.

For your information, tryed with some other .ogg filesā€¦ same Issue!

I updated the plugin in the store. Still in beta, and still has those 2 issues to fix yes.
The ogg reading issue is likely an issue in the actual system, so I will investigate it during my regular work hours.

1 Like

No worries for the .ogg files.
But the update failed, Still the old version available despite I can see the new design in the bar at the bottom of the screen.