Built of example plugin in Docker fails

I’m trying to understand the packaging and deployment of MOD plugins. For this I built the Docker container with the “Full build” method documented here: https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/How_To_Use_Docker_Toolbox_With_MPB

builder@5811320bbbf7:~/mod-plugin-builder$ ./build modduox eg-amp-lv2
/usr/bin/make -j1 O=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCXX="/usr/bin/g++" silentoldconfig
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-2016.02'
  GEN     /home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/Makefile
BR2_DEFCONFIG='' KCONFIG_AUTOCONFIG=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/auto.conf KCONFIG_AUTOHEADER=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/autoconf.h KCONFIG_TRISTATE=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/tristate.config BR2_CONFIG=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/.config BR2_EXTERNAL=/home/builder/mod-plugin-builder/plugins-dep HOST_GCC_VERSION="7" SKIP_LEGACY= /home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/conf --silentoldconfig Config.in
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-2016.02'
Failed to find plugin installed bundles

What’s going on here? It looks like the environment is broken somehow.

Posting my progress here hoping that someone can help out or tell-your-dog kicks in :joy:

I discovered that building the example plugin works fine in a fresh container from the same image. But after I try to build the lenticular lv2 plugin using the following Makefile, the build for any plugin fails.

LENTICULAR_LV2_SITE_METHOD = local
LENTICULAR_LV2_SITE = $($(PKG)_PKGDIR)/

LENTICULAR_LV2_VERSION = 1

LENTICULAR_LV2_DEPENDENCIES =

LENTICULAR_LV2_BUNDLES = lenticular.lv2

LENTICULAR_LV2_TARGET_MAKE = $(TARGET_MAKE_ENV) $(TARGET_CONFIGURE_OPTS) $(MAKE) -C $(@D)/lenticular_lv2

define _BUILD_CMDS
    $(LENTICULAR_LV2_TARGET_MAKE)
endef

define _INSTALL_TARGET_CMDS
    $(LENTICULAR_LV2_TARGET_MAKE) install DESTDIR=$(TARGET_DIR)
endef

$(eval $(generic-package))

The first build attempt in a fresh container outputs the following

$ ./build modduox lenticular_lv2
/usr/bin/make -j1 O=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox HOSTCC="/usr/bin/gcc" HOSTCXX="/usr/bin/g++" silentoldconfig
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-2016.02'
  GEN     /home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/Makefile
BR2_DEFCONFIG='' KCONFIG_AUTOCONFIG=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/auto.conf KCONFIG_AUTOHEADER=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/autoconf.h KCONFIG_TRISTATE=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/tristate.config BR2_CONFIG=/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/.config BR2_EXTERNAL=/home/builder/mod-plugin-builder/plugins-dep HOST_GCC_VERSION="7" SKIP_LEGACY= /home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-config/conf --silentoldconfig Config.in
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/buildroot-2016.02'
>>> lenticular_lv2 1 Syncing from source dir /home/builder/mod-plugin-builder/plugins-dep/../plugins/package/lenticular_lv2//
rsync -au --chmod=u=rwX,go=rX --exclude .svn --exclude .git --exclude .hg --exclude .bzr --exclude CVS /home/builder/mod-plugin-builder/plugins-dep/../plugins/package/lenticular_lv2/// /home/builder/mod-workdir/modduox/build/lenticular_lv2-1
>>> lenticular_lv2 1 Configuring
>>> lenticular_lv2 1 Building
>>> lenticular_lv2 1 Installing to target
Failed to find plugin installed bundles

Since the “Building” step is done after a few seconds I suspect that there’s some kind of error over there. But it looks like any output of the underlying make/gcc is suppressed so I have no idea how to debug this.

It feels like that there’s a giant hole in the documentation for everyone who’s not familiar with building things for embedded Linux with Buildroot.

your build and install commands are missing the package prefix