Content Exchange

Thanks Marc!

This was the full set up on the track, minus the six4pix CV.OCD (midi to CV converter)

And this was the patch for the strega.

The Strega is the primary synth, being sequenced by the 0-ctrl in the key of G major. I actually used the dwarf tuner to dial in the 0-ctrl since it has to be manually tuned.

I’ll be honest that the strega is a very obtuse piece of gear on its surface, but it goes deep if you spend enough time with it. All of that atmosphere came from the strega itself.

The tracker handled the drums and the whistle sounds which were also tuned for G major.

I did some audio trickery to get as much noise out of the box that I could.

I ran 3 lanes in my mixer, one each for the tracker, strega, and dwarf.

I used a send out from my headphone lane to pump the audio from the tracker into the strega. The external audio in on the strega gets run through and modulates the filter, which is why the glitchy sounds when I engaged the touch patch points on the strega seemed to be rhythmic.

Then I used my out #2 send lane to get the combined audio from my strega into the dwarf running a single instance of the RMPro plugin with full stereo separation to add a bit more width.

I kept the dry signals of the tracker and strega centered in the mix and layered the dwarf slightly under them in the mix to fill the edges of space.

I’m struggling with a good EQ mix. I seem to drown my mids out, but I record flat and let the listener EQ the track to their liking. I’ve self taught myself as much as I can and I’m limited on time to dedicate to learning how to master a track lol

I am so itching to get my duox for the CV abilities. There are CV plugins that will be super powerful for my setup. I keep finding myself frustrated by the lack of CV modulators in my set up, as I’m too poor to afford the modular system I want lol

One of the pieces of kit I’m going to be experimenting with this weekend is my six4pix noodlebox, and it is essentially 4 assignable cv sequencers in an etch-a-sketch style format. All of the CV is assignable, so theoretically I can just program my own modulations. I just need practice.

The manual is as helpful as a hole in the head though.

Sorry for the wall of text, seems that I have gotten more nerdy about my setups and how they all work as I get further along this journey lol

Hope all is well!

6 Likes

Absolutely zero need to apologise. We all learn from each other’s setup and mindset. Thanks for sharing all of this. :slight_smile:

Take the wise words of master sound engineer and parametric eq godfather, George Massenburg: “a mix is never finished. You just have to abandon it.”

(The same applies to grad school dissertation, discussing our relationships, and the spring basement tidy up. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

You may wish to check your headset impedance, If it’s too low and the output impedance of the MOD is high, then it will boost the bass and mid-highs, therefore muzzling everything else.

3 Likes

I’ve wanted to figure out a way to ‘automate’ my effects and I think I’ve finally cracked it - I’m using the Digitakt to map the tremolo and reverb on my bass and of course the sky’s the limit on this… the Digitakt is so great for external midi control I’ve got it playing the melody on the Microfreak too and it’s just perfect for making beats and mashing and manipulating samples - all recorded into my Bluebox Mixer and mixed in Ableton

6 Likes

Super cool setup and even cooler music piece!
It’s really nice when we can listen to a nice balance of “geeky” music tech stuff and also nice music result :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

thanks man - that’s the challenge is to integrate the tech into a musical situation to enhance/create a sound that’s part of a composition… I’ve got a few more idea I want to try for sure with this way of working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome :wink:
We can’t wait to watch/listen to those ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I messed around a bit with the Analogue Acid House & Techno drum plugin, and it’s really fun. I did not expect to like this plugin that much, as I’m not really familiar with house and techno.

The thing with lights is a Neotrellis M4 that I programmed as a sequencer and midi instrument.

7 Likes

Here is another video with the MOD DUO being controlled by the Neotrellis M4. I added some things that can be randomized to the step sequencer to make generative music

6 Likes

Cool (and long :smiley:) stuff! You are really exploring your setup haha

3 Likes

Great stuff man! looks like MOD is your first Subscriber :wink:

3 Likes

OK - bit of a long one here - I couldn’t resist plugging in all my pedals for this one - Dwarf is in the mix but the shiro verb section is cut off - anyway I love experimenting and trying ideas - the main sound here is the Source Audio C4 running into a filter then the Meris Ottobit Jr and then the Dwarf adding some vibrato/modulation and triggering delays (via the Launchpad X)- all other sounds coming from the Digitakt and Arturia Microfreak - hope you enjoy

7 Likes

@Schwalb,

I think you’re a serious candidate for an upgrade do Duo X. If you can do that much with the 2 encoders on the Duo, I just wonder what you’d come up with many more controls! :slight_smile:

:P’’’’

( :arrow_up: my attempt at a drooling emoji! )

5 Likes

Yea the Duo X would be really great for doing these types of stuff, just at the moment I can’t really afford it. However I am working on a diy midi controller that should give me a whole bunch more knobs

5 Likes

@Schwalb I’m curious to check that MIDI controller :wink:

@MikeFlynnBass once again…Awesome! And so so interesting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the controller:

4 Likes

Sorry I don’t how to embed a video :sweat_smile: I wanted to share my new case where Mod Duo X is the main FX processing and processing powerhouse. I love it and I feel like this case is now almost limitless.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Domicidre.

Great video, nice ambiance ! Thanks for sharing. Very neat case too. Having one road-ready setup is one of my goals right now… (Perhaps a new year’s resolution will help!)

I believe you could not embed a video due to new forum member restrictions in place. @jon is the person who can take care of that, he’ll likely respond quickly.

2 Likes

Probably it was related to your trust levels. I updated them…maybe it works now.

About the video and the case: super nice and well-organized case! I bet that it must give you a huge pleasure to grab it and take it everywhere without wiring everything again! I love to see the MOD DuoX there :slight_smile:
About the music, really really nice! I would love to listen a full set just on this (while answering around here probably haha)

1 Like

Thanks a lot @jon ! Yes I just finished putting the case together and I’m really looking forward to go jam with friends and not having to re-cable everything is such a plus! The Mod Duo X is a really good addition and I’m just getting started with patching but I think it’s going to allow me to expand my production. Regarding the set, I’m actually putting it together :wink: Hopefully I’ll have something soon !

3 Likes

Please share more videos with us :wink:

1 Like