Control of plugins via a specific CC value

Ok, so from what I’ve learned:

It seems that when using “MIDI learn” as the switch for a plugin, CC 64-127 is ON, and CC 63-0 is OFF. It doesn’t matter what CC you link the the plugin to, it reacts to where the all CCs in those 2 respective ranges… So, despite a pedal being linked to 127, it reacts to all CCs 0-127 with the mentioned ON/OFF functions (unless some CC’s are filtered out).

What I’d like to be able to do is to set a plugin to turn on as long as the single CC number it is attached to is being sent, and then turn off if the attached CC number is turned off. This would allow me to set different plugins to different CC numbers, which would make it easier to turn individual plugins on or off at different times.

Am I misunderstanding the way the DUO is set up? Is what I’m looking for actually doable?

I think there’s some confusion on the terminology/method of MIDI in general here.

A midi message is nearly always composed of 4 parts:

1. Channel
  2. Message type
  3. Data1
  4. Data2

message type is note on, note off, Control Change (CC), Program Change (PC), Aftertouch, Pitchbend etc.

In a control change (CC) message data 1 indicates which control it is. Its like an address, an index, a number to indicate which knob or button or control you are “turning”. The second part of the data is where that knob is being turned to, all the way down is 0 all the way up 127. So when talking about CC64 or CCs 0-127 you are talking about the address. If you mean the value you’d say something like set CC 0 to 64, for example.

The way mod maps a button (which really is only either on or off) is if that “knob” is above halfway (>63) the button is on, and if below that (<=63) the button is off.

CCs are just messages saying “this knob turned to this position.” It only comes when the knob gets turned to a new one. So they don’t really turn off or on, it just sends a message when it changes.

I hope that clears up a bit. I’ll see if I can get a pedalboard that I can control effects with a keyboard and share it sometime in the next few evenings after work. I think its possible, but you’ll probably want the “midi note toggle” filter before the note2CC so it doesn’t turn off the effects when you lift your foot.

2 Likes

Hey ssj71,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I will confirm my poor MIDI terminology/understanding. I’m literally reading a book now so I can learn it…but I think I’m trying to jump ahead and get something done I don’t quite get yet.

I guess what I’m shooting for right now is being able to play a specific MIDI note and have that activate a single plugin that has “learned midi” to a respond to that CC value. I want it to be that the other pedals on the board that have also “learned midi” to different CC values don’t respond unless their specific CC value comes up. Essentially use different MIDI notes as switches for different plugins within the same pedalboard.

Right now I’m trying to do setups where the MIDI notes are sent in the sustained legato setting. If the specific MIDI note is sent then the plugin is on. Then when no longer playing the specific MIDI note, the plugin is off again.

The idea you have at the end of your comment is also likely something I’ll want to lean how to do for another pedalboard in the future.

I’ll keep reading and trying, but any help I am definitely thankful for.

so it doesn’t work exactly like I expect, because you must send a “loud note” (velocity > 64) to turn on the effect and a “quiet” one (velocity <=64) to turn it back off. But hopefully that can give you the idea. I might go contribute a new mode to the midi filter that toggles with note on/off.

@Treelemon
Did you take a look at that pedalboard? The Note2CC plugin now has a toggle mode that I think will work the way you need with your 12 step. Hopefully it will get updated in the mod after the new version is officially released in the next few weeks.

I haven’t tried it out again! I was going to use that last night, but got side tracked on another pedalboard (or two…). I’ll definitely take a look at that tonight or this weekend.

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out!