Devcurmudgeon - ALO - (multi-looper with BPM sync)

This is a work in progress, so there is a synth in the middle which goes nowhere, but will go to a looper with options to add more loops with controlled effects.

1 Like

Each instance of ALO is only using the first loop of the batch, but I need separate instances to have separate effects on those. The audio input has three loops currently with no ‘bounce down’ loop. The midi stuff like Vibes has a scale control for different songs, and it’s loops can be bounced down to other loops, and then I clear the initial loops and build up from there.

I think when the looper community see what ALO brings to the Mod Duo, there will be great interest. On the surface having only a stereo pair out from the devices seems like a limit, but if you can do a lot of effect processing in the box, you don’t need extra outputs - just lots of signal paths within the device.

3 Likes

That’s quite a rig! So if I understand correctly ideally we’d have one stereo input, and 6 stereo outputs (one for each loop). Probably at that point the ui would have the loops arranged vertically, and we’d have a toggle switch to route all loops to output 1&2 (so the current functionality), or to their separate outs.

1 Like

I don’t think there is a need to have a toggle switch to route all loops to a single output within ALO (If that is what you meant), as you can simply wire all outputs to the same destination if you wish. You can also add a toggle or switch plug-in after the ALO if desired. These options already exist. But if it’s easy to add - it also doesn’t hurt, but I wouldn’t add it if the switch generated clicks, or in any way affected latency.

Yeah, all my rigs are large environments. It’s actually quite annoying to edit, as the GUI always zooms out after I do some minor thing. Move a plug-in one inch sideways, bang, I get zoomed out. Turn a knob - bang, I get zoomed out. When I add a plug-in, I can’t place it where I want to, it zooms me out somewhere and the plug-in lands wherever the GUI plops it - quite annoying.

I have built out a pedalboard where I have some loops I want to bounce down to other loops. All using ALO of course! However I have 2 bar loops going into an instance of ALO set to 4 bar, and the 4 bar instance only records 2 bars. Would that be related to me using so many instances of ALO?

This pedalboard is pretty much tweaked and ready for me to use, so I could publish it, if that helps?

If the 4 bar instance only records 2 bars, that would be a bug. Please do publish and I’ll take a look

1 Like

I’m getting an error when trying to publish my pedalboard, so I made a separate simple one for testing, and figured out what I was doing wrong.

I had one loop set to 2 bars, and one to 4 bars - both of those ended up being the same length.

When I changed it to 4 bar and 8 bar, then the second loop was double the length.
I had beats per bar set to 4 in both cases.

So I got it working, but I think a division of 2 bars was actually allowing 4?

Strange… I’ve tested that, I can’t reproduce it

I have reset all my instances of ALO and now everything is working as expected.
I can no longer recreate the issue.

A question I have: There is a global setting for Beats Per Bar, and in ALO a setting called Per-Beat Loops. What does Per-Beat Loops control? I assumed it was Beats Per Bar, and would over ride the global setting. How does this work?

I’m glad it’s working ok.

“Per beat loops” is a bad/confusing name. I’ve changed it to “Instant loops” in the latest documentation (hopefully in the beta store soon)…

[INSTANT LOOPS] changes the behaviour so some or all loops will stop and resume instantly:
- 0 sets all loops to play from start to finish
- 3 sets loops 1,2 and 3 to play and stop when their loop buttons are pressed
- 6 sets all loops to play and stop when loop buttons are pressed

It allows you to mute/unmute loops at any time, whereas normally loops always start at the beginning of the phrase, and stop at the end of the phrase

2 Likes

Ok. so I had that set to 4, thinking it was beats per bar.
I just want the button to mute or unmute, without restarting the loop - It does that nicely when set to 4.

Thanks for the clarification on how that works, and of course thanks for upkeep of this plug-in, it’s now the centrepiece of my live rig, and certainly makes the Mod Duo X super fun for me!

2 Likes

Excellent, I’m happy it’s doing what you need :grinning:

to avoid confusion - the setting determines which loops are instant, as follows…

0: all loops play from start of phrase to end of phrase
1: loop1 is instant, 2…6 play from start to end
2: loop1 and loop2 are instant
3: loop1…loop3 are instant
4: loop1…loop4 are instant
5: loop1…loop5 are instant
6: all loops are instant

one more thing… in the latest version, i’ve made the double-click reset to be optional. hopefully that will make it possible for you to control loops with cv etc.

I have to say I still find this confusing. Possibly it will make sense when I have the update?

I have “per beat loops” set to 1, and loop 1 can be muted with the loop 1 button, and when I unmute it, it doesn’t play from the start, it just unmutes, which is what I prefer. But also loop 2 has that same behaviour.

Does ‘instant’ mean you can start the loop from the start with the loop button? As in you can play it out of sync?

This functionality is not changed in the update.

Instant Loops are still in sync. The only difference is they mute and unmute immediately on hitting the button off/on, unlike normal mode where loops mute at the end of the phrase, unmute at the beginning of the phrase

2 Likes

Ah! that totally clarifies it.

It’s “instant mute” vs “mute when loop ends”

Now that I understand, I will test my pedalboard - muting at the end of a loop might come in handy, I just didn’t realize it was an option.

FYI plugin is updated in the store now (as beta yes).

4 Likes

@falkTX thank you very much!

1 Like

Hi everybody! @falkTX I have (another) question for you…

In your ALO looper if I’m right, as you set the number of bars, yo can trigger the loop, and it will start at the beginning of the bar (so you don’t have to push the button in absolutely perfect sync with the beat).

Do you know if there’s something similar, but with pre-recorded loops. Something like the audio file player, but working as I said above.

Thank you again!!

I could maybe look at making ALO play pre-recorded loops somehow, but I think MOD are expecting to launch a new looper. In the meantime I was hoping ALO would have made it out of beta and into the main store by now…

3 Likes

@BramGiesen would usually be on top of plugins, but for special reasons he is not doing that anymore.
We also were hoping to have MOD Labs up and running by now, but that also didnt happen…
So everything plugin related is kinda delayed.

We have to see internally how to proceed with this now. the setBfree update is something also to look at.

6 Likes