Dwarf not responding to snapshot change PC

I’m attempting to use a MusicomLab EFX-LE effects switcher to change snapshots on my Dwarf, but the Dwarf isn’t responding.

I have six snapshots, Pedalboard Change PC is off and Snapshot Change PC is on channel 1. I assumed that the six snapshots would be assigned to PCs 1 through 6, and the EFX-LE is sending PCs in that range. The Dwarf doesn’t respond at all; whatever snapshot I have loaded is the one it stays on no matter what PC I’m sending it.

I must be missing something but I’m stumped.

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re using 5-pin DIN to 1/8" TRS Type A adapters to connect the EFX-LE to the Dwarf. Do any other midi functions work using those cables/adapters?

1 Like

Have you set the midi channel correctly in the settings?
The Dwarf recognises PC commands on 2 different channels. One for pedalboard changes and the other for snapshot.

2 Likes

Also note the web gui needs to be closed for these to actually do anything. (USB cable can still be left connected to the PC)

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@malfunction54 Yes, I’m using 5 pin to 1/8". I’m also using a MIDI Baby for tap tempo/triggering the Stuck plugin; the Baby is currently sending MIDI over USB, but I was using the 5 pin cable when programming it and it worked fine. Only the EFX-LE is having this problem.

@Sharry Pedalboard Change PC is off, Snapshot Change PC is on channel 1.

@falkTX Dwarf is completely disconnected from my computer.

1 Like

And do you have the MusicomLab EFX-LE sending via the same channel?

Yes. EFX-LE is sending PCs on multiple channels, channel 1 among them.

So actually that may exactly be the problem :slight_smile:
Probably the MIDI channels implementation is different between devices.
The Dwarf is from 1 to 16 and maybe the EFX-LE is from 0 to 15.

To be sure if this is the issue try to set a channel 1 number lower on the EFX-LE (so in your case try with channel 0).

Let me know if that works.

1 Like

Double-checked and the MIDI channels 9n the EFX-LE are numbered 1-16 like the Dwarf.

I also turned off all other MIDI PCs on the EFX-LE so it’s only sending on channel 1. Still no luck.

Do you have another MIDI-Instrument where you can proof that the sent signal is correct?
I’de use for this a “MIDI Distributor” like
Kenton MIDI Thru 5 – Thomann

1 Like

@Sharry’s idea is good.
You only need a MIDI monitor. Try out this one.
Please note that you will need to use Chrome and first connect the controller and just then open Chrome and load the website.

@jon @Sharry Thanks, I’ll give this a shot tonight. The EFX-LE worked fine sending PCs to my Source Audio pedals so I think it’s sending the correct messages, but it won’t hurt to check.

I can also program the MIDI Baby to send PCs, I’ll try with that as well.

1 Like

Maybe you already tried this, but I would also try to set the MOD Dwarf listening to one channel before.
I quickly check the manual of the EFX-LE and despite they saying there that you have 1 to 16 it may be worth trying.

1 Like

Alright, I finally got everything working as intended. Gonna chalk this one up to a couple of user errors.

When I hooked everything up to check the MIDI signals, I noticed the Dwarf’s snapshot change channel was on 2, not 1. I had set it to 2 a while back but had changed it to 1 more recently; I’m not sure if the change just didn’t save properly or if I changed it back to channel 2 later on, and got mixed up when updating the presets on the EFX.

I also realized that my input gain wasn’t set correctly for one of the snapshots I was trying to load. The board I set up has an envelope filter at the front, and at some point I lowered my input gain to try and troubleshoot some unrelated tonal issues. The lower input gain changed the response of the filter, making me think it wasn’t active when I pulled up the snapshot.

I’ll report back in if anything unusual happens (have a couple gigs coming up so the Dwarf will see plenty of use), but for now I’m calling this one solved. Thank you for all of your help!

7 Likes

All’s well that ends well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’m glad that you managed to get it working.

You’re welcome and please do so :slight_smile:

2 Likes