MIDI "Chocolate" 🍫 controller with the Mod Dwarf, an introduction

I’ve recently ordered Chocolate from some Aliexpress seller (because of this forum topic btw), and that particular seller has M-VAVE MS-1 dongle with a Chocolate as an additional option.
So probably Chocolate should work with M-Vave’s own solution, that visually seems to be something similar to CME. There is also a video where some guy uses MS-1 + Chocolate to manage a Zoom multieffects pedal. (Delivering power to the dongle seemed cryptic to me though).

Maybe I will be able to provide more information when Chocolate and MS-1 will arrive to me in a month or so.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s similar to the WIdi Master except the cable for the midi out is not detachable.

I prefer the WIDI Jack form factor with low profile, switchable plugs for 5 pin din, trs, etc. Also has USB-C for power in case your devices midi out does not support that.

The Widi devices can also serve as 5 device (4 of them wireless) hub

Hoping that the Chocolate fixes this incompatibility issue. M-Vave (Cuvave) is a low end Chinese manufacturer that feels unreachable. They may not care about this (and slightly possible they view CME as competition); it is bad for any integration like MIDII to incompatible by design or incompetence.

Well, just got in the wagon, nice reads and helpfull documentation.

I received the M-VAVE three days ago, works out of the box, connects to iPhone and Linux PC (USB and Wifi) without any hand twinkling. I believe it complies to the standard more than enough for normal use.

I will try to connect it to some various Pi devices (including PiSound equiped) to see if there are any issues. Also will check the expression input, and Midi serial line via an adapter.

Thanks for the contributions everyone has done here.

6 Likes

Hi! I’m using the M-VAVE controller with my Dwarf (via usb port), specifically with an MAUDIO expression pedal to control switchless wah plugin but I spotted a laggy behavior when using the pedal, kinda low sampling rate converting analog signal to midi signal. I suppose it is something related to M-VAVE since I didn’t notice this behavior in the past when using Meloaudio MidiCommander to do the same thing (this time via mini jack trs midi port). Does anyone else have experienced this issue? Could be related to different port used on Dwarf side?

1 Like

I just gave a try with my Chocolate and had no issues using the Switchless Wah on the Dwarf. I’m using the Hotone Soulpress II for expression and the sweep of the wah in the Dwarf is extremely smooth and accurate.

Edit: I spoke too soon! Yep, I totally hear what you’re saying now. Just did an A/B using the same expression pedal with the Chocolate and the Logidy UMI-3 and even though the values look to sweep ok without jitter, I can totally hear it with the Chocolate and not the UMI-3! So definitely the Chocolate and not the Dwarf or expression pedal!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for confirming it!

1 Like

Hello, I’m trying to download the app for Android but the link does not open and the version for Windows do not work. Can someone help me? Does anyone have another link to donwload it? Thanks

2 Likes

Visit http: //www. cuvave. com/appdownload from a (chrome) browser on your android device.

Alternately visit http: //www. cuvave. com/xznr and scan the QR code with your camera app (or other QR code reader).

Hard to add spaces to the urls above since I can post links (apparently).

2 Likes

Out of topic, but I manually fixed that for you. Now you should be able :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Would it be possible to use two chocolate in parallel to have 8 switches available?

2 Likes

If it’s possible to connect two or more midi devices into a mod equipment, I think that it’s possible to use more than one Chocolate.

But probably won’t be possible use a same Bluetooth adapter for both chocolate controllers. Then, you will need to use a USB hub to connect both with mod dwarf.

But if you connect one with the Bluetooth dongle and other via usb maybe works. Note that the USB dongle has a USB input, so it’s possible to connect the USB dongle into dwarf and the USB cable into USB dongle. But I don’t know if a conflict or something like this will occurs.

4 Likes

Sounds to me like a lever to increase chances to break usb port heavily, when you pull usb cable accidentally. (And that’s inevitable at some point, imho). We have only one port on the quite expensive device to risk like that.

One thing is to just connect the dongle, but when you also have a cable on the floor between chocolate and dongle waiting for you to hit it by a foot when moving around and being focused on the guitar, it is somewhat another story without a happy end quite probably. I would suggest using USB hub instead to reduce levering almost three times. Using some velcro to mount usb hub to the side of MOD should be even better, if you can find a hub that fits.

4 Likes

Just tested the M-VAVE MIDI bluetooth USB dongle and seems that exp1 signals are not sent via bluetooth, isn’t it?

2 Likes

If you are asking about expression pedal connected to the chocolate, it’s CC values are sent via bluetooth towards MDX just fine for me. Had to invert signals in advanced custom mode though.

3 Likes

If I connect the chocolate to dwarf via USB cable, exp1 works. It doesn’t when connected via bluetooth MIDI USB dongle.

2 Likes

I do not have a lot of ideas, unfortunately.

TRS port in chocolate is multifunctional, and can be switched between TRS MIDI output and expression pedal input. Would try checking this setting just in case (However how it works with usb then?)

Also I recall that there is a firmware upgrade possibility, maybe you have outdated firmware?

(Only mobile app had a button for upgrade for me)

1 Like

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of new firmware availability via cubesuite app. Unfortunately, midi signals for exp1 are not sent via midi dongle still.

2 Likes

@redcloud, try to update the bluetooth adapter dongle too. Maybe works.

Note: I don’t tested an expression pedal with Chocolate.

1 Like

That’s what I did but with no luck.

1 Like

just switch the expression pedal values in the settings :wink:

3 Likes