MOD Dwarf - New User - Levels question

Hey,

My Dwarf finally arrived! Really happy with my new toy. Relatively easy to get up to speed on, and happily creating new pedalboards. :slight_smile:

One question though. I’m mainly going to use the MOD for modulation, delay & reverb. So I put the MOD in the effects loop of my amp. I’m still using my drive pedals in front of the amp. However, if I set up a pedalboard based on a clean setting, and then I engage my drive pedals, the MOD input leds turn red. I can understand: the drives raise the signal level, hitting the front of the amp, so the MOD gets a much higher input level.

Obviously, I can turn down the input gain on the settings. But that means if I disengage the drive pedal(s), I have a much lower signal level going into the MOD. A bit annoying.

Any other users running their mod in the FX loop? How do you deal with this problem?

1 Like

if I disengage the drive pedal(s), I have a much lower signal level going into the MOD. A bit annoying.

Do you not have this problem without the MOD, i.e. lower signal level going into your amp without vs. with the drive?

Maybe turn down the level of the drive pedal or the FX send of the amp, if possible.

1 Like

Well yes. But intentionally. Hit the front of amp sounds good. Overdriving the ADC’s on the Dwarf? Not so much. :slight_smile:

But you’re right of course: will need to tweak it more so the signal hitting the dwarf is a bit more … predictable.

Was just curious to see how others run a dwarf in the FX loop.

1 Like

I see. Goal would be to not have too high signal hitting the Dwarf, if necessary reduce the Dwarf’s input gain so there’s no input clipping.

Then if there are situations where the signal is too low, add a compression effect to the Dwarf’s chain right after the input with increased gain. This however will reduce the dynamic range of your tone, which might or might not be desirable :smiley:

1 Like