ModDuo as usb midi host for Linnstrument and Haken Continuumini?

Hmm Looks like this one supports multiple DIN MIDI connections. But I would need something who can power and connect either 2 USB MIDI devices or at least 1 USB MIDI to DIN MIDI Like “Kenton USB Host” or similar.

Seems the Linnstrument works, shows up “device name” and works through MIDI USB in “separate” and I wasntt expecting "device name" with Din Midi. I havent tried it in “out mode” recieving midi yet. The continuumini is USB only, so I cannot see if it recieves MIDI DIN. I haven`t tried it as a “send” device, because my main focus was that it should recieve MIDI. I will have look and try some more. The “iConnectivity mioXM” is a little above my budget for now and it would be great if the MOD DUO could do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can use an USB hub on the USB port of the Duo and connect multiple USB MIDI Controllers.
Also, just an heads up (not sure if you are trying this), but the MOD Duo does not support MPE (at least yet)

1 Like

Makes sense. I am sure you will get this working with your MOD device in a more or less simple way.

2 Likes

Hello,
I am using the Continuummini as well and there is a major problem with the USB data flow . It only works properly - especially in conjunction with the Eagan Matrix- when it is connected straight via USB to your computer . Even a connection via a USB hub might cause problems. I am in contact with the Haken community and they say Lippold will take care of the problem- but at the moment it is still unsolved.
Best
Ulrich

1 Like

Hi Ulrich,
Thanks for reporting this.
Do you mean that the issue happens even with computers? Not only with the Duo?
And that it was already reported to Haken?

1 Like

Hello Jon,

exactly. A few month ago there was a discussion in the Continuum forum on Facebook where I took part. There were a couple of continuumini users who reported this issue and even Richard Krams, who made the most of the Continuum tutorials reported problems. Richard also informed Lippold Haken and Edward Eagen about it and they promised to take care of the problem as soon as they would be less busy with their new Continuum model. In the moment I use a dedicated USB port on my computer just for the continuumini and another one for the Kenton Killamix for which the Eagan Matrix is optimized. But as soon as I use a hub (any model) between the continuumini and the computer it crashes. This is exactly what happened to the other users as well.

Best wishes

Ulrich

2 Likes

P.S.:
So there is obviously a connectivity problem on the side of the continuumini…

2 Likes

Hi Ulrich,
Thank you so much for reporting this here in our community.
That may solve some unnecessary headaches to the developer’s team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Jon,

thank you very much! It makes me happy when I could contribute something helpful.

Best wishes

Ulrich

2 Likes

Thank you for contributing! Having explored the USB hub route using the Iconnectivity MioXm interface, I can confirm the that the connection between the Linnstrument and Cintinuummini is working, but unfortunately not completely reliable.

Another interresting pehonomena is the way multiple midi connections going through the MioXM into the ModDuo are displayed in the gui. Sometimes they are displayed as a number of named midi devices. Devices which are not even connected to the ModDuo. (As if the Mod Duo has a list of possible midi devices) Other times the Duo shows only the aggregate/seperate option.

This is perhaps part of another topic, but not that important for me. Anything related to programming is unfortunately far beyond my computer skills …

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a Linnstrument player as well and I’m heavily considering getting a Mod Device some time soon. I was wondering if you could give me anymore details of your usage of the Mod Duo with the Linnstrument? Are you getting full functionality from it in terms of MPE? Are you using 6 separate modules to output your sounds or is there an easy way to set up MPE patches? If anyone else has any answers Re: MPE support I’d be really excited to hear it, and happy to provide any help i can in getting MPE functionality working as well. If these units are good with MPE I’ll buying one a lot sooner.

There are currently no MPE-capable synths on the platform.

1 Like

Dang, Thanks for the fast reply though! I’ll be keeping an eye out because I really love what you guys are doing here, as soon as it applies to my setup a little better I’ll be buying in. You might consider reaching out to Roger Linn if you have any troubles getting MPE functionality going, as he’s actually quite nice and I’ve seen him communicate with multiple synth developers and such, even going so far as to create some MPE presets for Surge, an open-source VST instrument, not too long ago. Maybe he could get you a sample unit or vice-versa. If MPE were possible I’m sure it would go on his list of recommended synths for the Linnstrument which is sadly quite short despite being the best place to find MPE sound sources.

2 Likes

MPE is possible for sure, there is zero technical reasons why it would not be.
The MIDI decoding and message passing steps are all fine, LV2 format and plugins will receive the MIDI bytes as-is unaffected and all that.
It is just that we do not have a single plugin that supports MPE in the plugin store right now.

So yes, it is all possible and in a way “supported”, but the plugins are lacking on this area.

I have helped a bit to make Surge working as LV2, but didnt work so well. Their next iteration, labelled Surge XT, is switching from custom code to JUCE, so an LV2 version likely to become official.
Surge, Vital, and other open-source synths that support MPE are very complex beasts though, the porting process to the MOD platform would requite a lot of work for which we do not have the resources to allocate to right now.

One thing that brings me hope is running JUCE GUI code directly on the browser.
This demo page is pretty impressive Emscripten-Generated Code
So perhaps we can reuse the full desktop GUI of a few plugins… that would save 95% of the porting work for JUCE based plugins.

4 Likes

Exciting stuff! I’ve been talking for ages about how there should be open-source digital audio units around like the Mod devices. I hadn’t even considered that Surge might be portable to these devices, thats just one example of why your guys devices are necessary in the market right now, open source and open-minded, Forward-thinking core developers is the way to go! I look forward to all the new developments, thanks for your response! I’m sure I’ll end up with a Dwarf before too long even if MPE still hasn’t been fully implemented or streamlined, just way too cool! You have a good one!

5 Likes

I am happy to confirm that with firmware 9.55 Continuumini works well with Linnstrument using Mod duo as a usb midi host! They connect with my Arturia beatstep through a standard usb hub and all show up in their separate input with name in the Gui. As a part of solving this issue was in touch with Richard Kram, who is a part of the Haken Audio team. He found the Mod platform interesting and has thought of creating a plugin for the Continuumini. Too bad the MDX is currently sold out a the moment.
Btw I also think porting MPE plugins like Surge is a great Idea!

2 Likes

It is now solved!

1 Like

Imaginus, can you elaborate on how the usb connections work? I am not familiar with the Beatstep, but it seems to have only one usb port. Are you connecting the continuum & linnstrument to the hub (powered?), the hub to the beatstep and the beatstep to the MOD via Midi Out?
I have been trying to connect >1 controllers to devices like the synthstrom deluge or the mod dwarf via usb, using a usb powered hub, but this does not seem to work. My current workaround is with an Ipad and routing midi between devices with the audiobus software.
Thanks!

1 Like

Coooool! He should feel free to reach out if he needs anything.

We are slowly getting more units. Most of them were reserved for our retail partners but probably after we will have some “leftovers” for us to sell. Also, we are already planning the next batch that should get in production early next year. Keep an eye on it.