My first shared pedalboard

I’ve shared a pedalboard which I’ve been using as a live performance tool (although not actually playing live. . ). I’m using a Mod Duo X, and am very impressed with the amount of plug-ins I can run on a single pedalboard. I’m less interested in more horsepower and more interested in more plug-ins!

I noticed that most shared pedalboards don’t have detailed notes, so I left mine up to the users to figure out, but can certainly answer questions about it if anyone finds it useful/fun.

6 Likes

Oof, that’s a lot of delays :smiley:

What is the preformance (cpu/mem %) and what kind of audio are you running through this?
Can you give us a little sound-clip? (don’t see it in the pedalboard link).

Btw the calf beta plugins give me quite some issues, many of them need their UI fixed as they do some things that are not allowed (which for me actually breaks CV port naming!)

1 Like

Yup, it’s a lot of delays! But 8 of them are used as loopers, and don’t act as audio delays - they are set to be transparent audio-wise.

I have not had issues with the Calf Delay, but I only modulate the Feedback and Amount. Possibly I’m not hitting on any of it’s issues.

This patch uses 13% Ram and 43% CPU at rest, which is astonishing, but I think these numbers change as you run signals through it, and have loops going - but I have not monitored those numbers.

Usually I run a single note from a synth into it, and build up from there, possibly forming chords with the first four loopers (one note each), then I can control the whole thing on a very micro level.

I can do quite spacious minimal stuff, but also noisy stuff if I really abuse that gristlizer at the end.

I will have to dig out a track I’ve made with it, that isn’t full of tests. Ultimately how it sounds is fully dependant on what you loop with it, and how you adjust knobs. It’s set up so that the knobs can be used to filter the loops before they go to the gristlizer, which alters what the entire section does - so there are a lot of live knob tweaks that can really adjust what you get out of it.

2 Likes

I would really appreciate if you would share some sound samples to get an impression how this is used by its “inventor”.

Btw: do you know the tiny gain? (TinyGain Mono - MOD Devices) I prefer using this instead of the normal gain pedal since it uses less space and additionally features a peak meter and a mute button…

I think I used the gain which had stereo in stereo out, just to keep my cables organized. I’m working on a more complex version of this, and cable management is an issue for me - often a cable gets added to two inputs instead of one. I have to zoom in a lot to be precise.

What’s the best method of posting audio on this forum? Host it elsewhere and provide a link?

S.

Whip it up on soundcloud? Free account is quick to set up and if really like to hear an example of this as well.

1 Like

Ok, just did a fresh five minute improv tonight and uploaded it. This is basic ambient, only using the Mod Duo, and a few notes from a synth played into it. No synth tweaking, just Mod Duo tweaking.

No effects, processing, compression or mastering. So the midrange is a bit sharp for my tastes! But it’s a demonstration of using this pedalboard.

6 Likes

Thanks.

That’ll be in my box as soon as it arrives

2 Likes

I’m already cooking up a better version of this, which makes tweaking easier.
I’m certainly going to improve on the layout of the pages.

3 Likes

One improvement that has been crucial for me, is not using switches to send signals to the loopers. I still use buttons on the Duo, but I use the CV Slew rate tool on a volume switch, so that I can control the signal send like a knob, with a set medium speed rate for full volume and a slower rate to fall to zero. This helps prevent unwanted clicks in ambient loops. (I then add intentional clicks later ! :laughing:) The CV Slew rate tool !

1 Like

Thanks for posting the sound example. It sounds great!

I often struggle with this problem (cable gets connected to more than one inputs) as well. It would be cool, do be able to switch this feature off, be it in the settings or by pressing a modifier while dragging…

1 Like