Nobels-style OD?

Before I spend the time to go through each and every OD plugin (an embarrassment of riches, really!) Is there an existing plugin (even beta) that approximates a Nobels ODR style overdrive? Now that the Chow Centaur is out, I’m able to model most of my overdrives on the Dwarf, and having an ODR would get me even closer. Having asked this, I do get somewhere in the neighborhood of the Nobels sound using the Onyx amp model, but would like to bring that to other pedalboards without using the Onyx. Thanks!

3 Likes

@malfunction54,

Perhaps you can emulate the spectrum effect of the Nobles ODR by adding a parametric EQ that will provide what they state in their website, namely:

Instead of controlling the highs or the high-mids, the spectrum control on the ODR-Mini actually boosts the highs as well as the low-mids

It looks like they attempted to do what the Yamaha DG1000 preamp did, which was to separate lo-mids and hi-mids, which allows you to eliminate that annoyingly piercing hi-mid sound. With the EQ you can either boost those areas or simply tame the hi-mids (which would be my option) and get a similar sound.

(Never tried a Nobles OD, from their description the spectrum control looks very interesting.)

5 Likes

Thanks @QuestionMarc ! I will definitely try that. I’ve replicated other OD features using an EQ, not sure why I didn’t think of that for this instance :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@malfunction54 if you manage to get close please share the pedalboard with a sample sound :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely!

2 Likes

I have a real ODR Mini, and I love it (though wish I had the bass control version)

While not specifically designed to emulate it, I have found that the GxBaJaTubeDriver gets me to a very similar place sonically.

3 Likes

I love my ODR mini, too! In fact, I love it even more now that I can play it through different amp and cab sim combos :slight_smile: thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

Ok, the GxBaJaTubeDriver has a very similar drive character to the ODR. I think combining this with some EQ to replicate a bit of the Spectrum control will get me where I want to be. Thanks all!

5 Likes

If you would share what you learn regarding that, it would be appreciated.

3 Likes

I’ve got no problem sharing :laughing:

4 Likes

After some quality time with the GxBajaTubeDriver, I’ve decided that it hits enough of what I like about the ODR mini that I don’t even really feel the need to mess with additional EQ. Problem solved.

5 Likes