NOIIISSSSE - Again

did you test it with another power supply? I used some that came with my harddisks and they work fine without noise.

5 Likes

Wow, I couldn’t believe it, but that was the issue. I remember admiring the “quality” of the power supply when I first saw it, but looks were… deceiving! The dwarf works with absolutely no noise (as intended) with a 12V/2A power supply from an external hard drive. I was curious if the noise came from the fact that the original power supply has grounding pins on the plug, so I put tape on the power outlet to test it without ground connected, but the noise was the same.
Still, MOD is not excused to include such a crappy power supply with an expensive device… I will try to contact support and get a replacement and hopefully different power supply, because I need the hard drive’s one and I am not paying for another out of my own pocket.

yeah its been reported many times - it’s kind of a bummer that any other cheap, standard power supply will do but not the one included.

I get its frustrating but I just used the nice looking dwarf one for my harddisk on my desk (I don’t know how many of these I colleceted over the years) and leave it at that.

6 Likes

Indeed that is true. Anyway, if you read through the forum (I think even in this thread) you will read us admiting that due to the supply chain issues we were forced to buy power supplies from different providers and some batches seem to be more prone to noise issues with certain setups. We also offered solutions for that. If you want, please reach out support@mod.audio and we will also find a way to compensate you

4 Likes

Well if you had read what I had already told you:

5 Likes

A classic case of RTFM (or RTFF).

Any device that has electricity running through it will produce a certain amount of noise. Please refer to Howard Tremaine’s “Audio Cyclopedia”, possibly the most comprehensive book ever written in audio engineering.

Current switching power sources produce also a noise like the one you’re experiencing, medium to high pitch. PSUs are supposed to havr extra filtering in place for that, either an isolating transformer (a rare case) or at least and induction bead, Seems like a batch of Mod PSUs came with poor filtering.

To repair or replace a faulty Mod unit, please contact support@mod.audio

Good luck.

3 Likes

I shouldn’t have to read through any forum or even do any kind of research for something that should have been recalled in the first place. MOD should have tracked down the units in retailers with faulty power supplies and recalled them, the moment they knew they exist.
For the ones that have already been sold before the company was aware, replacement power supplies should have been provided to buyers through the retailers passively without the customer having to do anything. In my case, If my unit was sold before MOD was aware, I should already have received communication from thomann, in the form of “there is a recall on the power supply unit of your dwarf, confirm your address to get the replacement”. If it was after, it should have been recalled and never got in my hands.

The “stay quiet, do nothing, until the customer complains about it” is NOT how you do business properly and that kind of behavior frankly puts me in doubt about MOD’s willingness to actually support their products in the future.

Accidents happen, faulty products may end up being sold to customers, no one can really blame any company for that. How the issue is handled afterwards however, shows the culture of the company and gains you the trust of your customers. Many buyers may not even realize they have a faulty power supply. it took me months to find out. only because I used it with a DI for months (by luck). Some people maybe even think its normal to have noise at the output, if its their first product of that kind and they don’t know better.

1 Like

There are reasons why that was not done. Besides the logistic nightmare that MOD doesn’t have a dimension that allows it, the issue doesn’t happen either will all power supplies from the same model/supplier or with all setups, so it’s a bit like searching for a needle in a stable (not sure if this expression exists in English, but we use it in Portuguese).

…and that’s exactly why we offer this to users that reach out to us and can’t solve the issue. Again, we can’t know exactly which users have a problematic power supply.

It’s not uncommon even with way bigger companies when issues with batches of devices happen that they request the users to reach out in order to process any replacement/repair or whatever needs to take place. Not excusing anyone here, but I saw that in many shapes and forms, from website pages with forms to reactive approaches.

Well…if they don’t notice, most likely is because their power supply is not faulty.

And somehow it is. Please refer to what @QuestionMarc wrote here (and it’s correct):

What happens in the MOD case is that some power supplies that have been shipped seem to not filter enough. This can be a result of a thousand things. Electronic components have tolerances and if by any “bad luck” the tolerances of the components in your power supply play to the downside and have a bit worst noise filtering, this is not 100% sure to happen to another user with a similar power supply.
Of course, we are talking about extreme cases, but these cases may happen.

If you didn’t do it yet, please reach out to support@mod.audio so the process to solve your case can take place.

5 Likes

The English equivalent is ‘a needle in a haystack’ (“agulha em um monte da feno” if my translation is correct) :wink:

In the above situation, the user did not get noise with a DI, but DIs do not filter high pitched noises, only the 50/60 Hz hum. So my guess is that the induction bead inside his power supply went bad after some use, and wasn’t faulty upon purchase.

Moreover, if hot and neutral are inverted in the power mains, that kind of noise can also occur with switching power supplies. The reason why 3-prong plugs exist is precisely so that, if cabling is properly done, the hot/neutral orientation will always be correct – with the ‘honorable’ exception of Italy, where the type L plug is fully aligned and one can plug in both ways…

Ethically speaking this might be correct. But do you think Samsung contacted me about the capacitors inside my TV back in 2007? I learnt about it when I was contacted by the class action suit managers. If we won, I would have been given a $25 check, not the $50 the board cost at the time (plus labour).

And just exactly what did Ford do with the Pinto? They deliberately let people die because settlements in court for an estimated number of deaths would cost less than replacing all the fuel tanks. And just how many people lost the sight on one eye or both until those airbags were recalled 8 years ago?

Given Mod’s very limited resources (they are not Samsung) and the fact that PSUs failed randomly, they are doing their best to solve the problems for users.

Whereas I understand your frustration, the best thing you can do is go and request a new PSU.

4 Likes

Haha thanks for the help. Not exactly that the translation of the expression (at least in Portuguese from Portugal, but the sense it’s exactly that.

That’s also a possibility that I totally forgot. Anyway, in such little time of usage, we would always cover that - unless there are clear signals of misusing.

3 Likes

Pardon my dyslexia, I mean “and it wasn’t faulty upon purchase”.

Fishman released a product years ago that had an induction bead so that users could charge the battery while playing. For one, the battery was crap and generally died altogether in less than 3 years. Then the bead would go bad too.

Sadly, some components in recent years are being manufactured under very low standards – like the capacitors on Samsung TVs back in 2005-2006. If one builds amplifiers (for instance), you can get a $0.50 generic capacitor or a $30 Sprague or F&T. If you don’t want unhappy customers, you get a Sprague. But that adds to the cost very badly.

The ideal power supply unit would have an isolation transformer and not be switching. In today’s economy, it would alone cost some 90-100 Euro, be a lot bigger and produce a lot of heat.

Oops, forgot about that, sorry!! My father was from Brazil and I tend to translate into their Portuguese instead. In the US I worked with folks from Portugal and Mozambique, so that led to uncomfortable situations when I went to live in Brazil, such as me saying that I was getting behind the line as “entrar atras da bicha” there… Or calling the bus a Machimbombo or autocarro!

Stupid tourist… :expressionless:

6 Likes

Then an email should have been send to everyone stating: “You maybe have a defective power supply. Please test it by connecting it unbalanced on an input with high gain capabilities and reply to get a replacement if you are affected”

Just because others are unethical, doesn’t excuse not doing the right thing. Apple for example gets away with having a #gate issue with almost every product they release! and here is an example of a company doing the right thing: Fractal Torrent Recall Teaches NZXT & Gigabyte What to Do (Short-Circuit Fan Hub) - YouTube. Its up to the company to decide what kind of mentality they will have: Short minded- get profits now by doing as little returns/warranty claims as possible, or gain profits in the long run by treating your customers right and gaining their trust and future purchases?

I had a faulty one and didn’t notice for months because it happened (by chance) to only connect it with a DI until recently. I mentioned this many times…

I wasn’t talking about inaudible noise, but actual loud noise. There is no noiseless electronic device, but there is “practically noiseless” and that’s what I was referring to obviously.

Read above about a company doing the right thing. MOD isn’t legally required (I think) to do a recall, but its the right thing to do (ethically) and for the company’s public image, which in time will translate to trust from customers and more sales-profits.

The customer support offered either the value of the power supply (exact value not stated) as coupon code in the plugin store (because everyone loves store credit right???) or a replacement power supply that will take “a couple of weeks” to be shipped due to issues with UPS.
Not stating the value of the power supply and offering store credit is just shameful. How about returning the value of the power supply so I can buy a new one if you can’t ship a replacement right away? Not having an alternative carrier so you can ship at any time doesn’t look good either.

In conclusion: Not even the bare minimum: I had to do a warranty claim, the replacement will take very long to arrive and the company did a cheap attempt to give me store credit, instead of the value of the power supply back

Can’t say I feel good buying anything from MOD again. Lesson learned, lets hope the device itself lasts so they won’t offer me 400 euros of coupons if it dies…

Sorry if this disappoints you, but you are actually talking with me in support (we are really a small company). Because of that, I can tell you that you are framing what I told you there in a “convenient” way.

This offer is in the value of the power supply that you got. We do this because some users buy themselves a power supply or get it somehow that solves the problem (as was your case) and they actually don’t need a new one. So we pay it in credit for plugins. Normally we don’t even ask for any proof of the value, saying it is fine and we generate the coupon. We do this because it’s a clean way to “pay it”. If we were paying in actual money we would need invoices and all the bureaucratic stuff that is required for the accounting of a company.

The replacement power supply could take a “couple of weeks” to ship because (and as I wrote you there) due to the reboot of the company, a new contract with UPS needs to be set. And this is not 100% in our control to be effective (so we can use it). The good news is: as far as I was told yesterday after answering you in support this is already set and I believe that will be a matter of days now for us to be able to ship stuff.

6 Likes

Hello @jon,

How are you doing?
Just out of curiosity how much would cost me to buy a “bullet proof” power supply on the market today?
The only noise issue I had with the Dwarf was solved by activating the ground loop compensation under “settings>system behavior>compensate gnd loop” but since this have an small impact on CPU usage I’m investigating other possible solutions.
Cheers

1 Like

Mine cost approx ÂŁ10 or 50 real, I just swallowed the cost as its not worth my time at that price :+1:

5 Likes

@rogeriocouto, This Thomann one (Thomann NT 1215) costs 11€, was suggested in this thread and as far as I’m aware everyone that tried that solution got the issue sorted out. (Please if someone didn’t just deny me :slightly_smiling_face:)
Anyway I would say that are solutions for all tastes (or wallets). I saw some for 80 or 100€ and I can really assure you if you have issues or not with those (i didn’t try them)

4 Likes

I didn’t know its you, but it doesn’t change anything to what I said. I stated facts and nothing in a “convenient” way. The exact value of the power supply was NOT stated (and its still not stated…) and I was not offered an option to get it back in real money so I can buy a power supply that I need and not plugins on your store that I don’t need! Everyone knows that coupons/store credit etc is how companies give you money back, by not giving you money back. Because you will have to spend it with them anyway!

It is 100% in your control however, to have had an alternative shipping method until you sorted things out.

Since you are a part of the company and not just a forum mod as I thought, here is my suggestion:
Be the kind of company that is on the side of the customer (not just what is legally required and everyone expects) to gain a fanbase that will come back to buying your products. Dont be short slighted to maximize profits NOW by trying to avoid every little expense here and there. The power supply and coupons are a prime example of that kind of short sighted behavior.
I don’t think its too late to inform all your customers about the possibility of a faulty power supply. Since you sorted things out with shipping, take the loss, man up and do the right thing: Send everyone a good power supply. This is NOT a 30 euro product from aliexpress, there are certain expectations in quality for 400+ euros devices and your power supply doesn’t meet them.

Thanks @jon

3 Likes

Haven’t you heard? MOD is going through hardship at the moment. The company collapsed, now they are trying to build it back. People are waiting to get their Dwarf that couldn’t be yet sent, and have to pay some extra (that they’ll get back as coupons) to be able to get them at all (including me, btw). And it’s not for the company to “maximise profits”, it’s just because the company at the moment has no money to spare in good will gestures, just so it can keep afloat. What you demand would kill the company before it can even restart. There are perfect solutions at ~10-15€ (the Thomann NT1215 mentioned above - which I have bought myself - solves perfectly the issue).

I mean, I wouldn’t expect the behaviour you demand even from the big companies in the domain. To demand that from MOD.audio would probably have required that they double or triple their margin in the first place on the product (post-pendemic prices). You’d get a Dwarf at 800-900€. Is that what you are asking for?

If that device were from a company like Apple, yes, maybe you could demand such customer service, but anyway you probably wouldn’t get it (they’d probably sell you a iPower Plug+ Noiseless Series at 4x times the regular price).

So, in an ideal world, maybe you’d expect such behaviour from a company, but likely such company would have to include such potential costs (for this and any other possible defect) in the price of the products in the first place, because the money has to come from somewhere. Then, yes Dwarf at 800€+, Mod DuoX at 1600€+ ?

I’d rather see Mod.audio spend the money they have and their efforts rebuilding the company for the long term, so we can benefit from their expertise for our existing (new firmware releases with new features) and future products for many years to come.

12 Likes

@lambrosgg My recommendation: Throw away the power supply, buy a new one for a few Euros and enjoy the Dwarf! It is, if you compare it with other effects units, extremely cheap for what it can do. The few euros don’t matter anymore.
…and you don’t always have to be right… sometimes silence and enjoyment is the order of the day.

7 Likes